The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 05:03 PM

I don't plan to part with any of my guitars, but "never" is a really long time. If you're lucky, that is.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 11-19-2015, 06:34 PM

I have no plans to sell this one, but you never know what life has to offer, but this is my custom Taylor jumbo. Cedar top rosewood back and sides with early 900 series inlays. This is the guitar I have been looking for all my life. It is 7 years old and I just love it.

Sorry for the bad lighting.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 PM

I'm enjoying this thread & reading all these stories about your guitars.
As for me, I don't plan on parting with any of my guitars. Oh, I suppose if I was(were?) ever completely destitute, and out of things to sell off, I would probably give up a guitar or two, if necessary. That being said, these 2 would be the last ones I'd give up: My Yamaha 12-string, the 1st guitar I ever owned. My dad bought it for me (many moons ago, in 1987). A few years later, I was in a talent competition and (stupidly) propped it against a wall, minutes before I was to go onstage. Well, someone promptly knocked it over, and the neck basically broke off, right at the saddle- the only thing holding it together was the fretboard! I still feel a little sick, recalling the thud/CLANG sound as it hit the floor. (The silver lining: Another contestant was nice enough to offer up his Taylor as a stand-in. I was basically giddy -getting to actually play a Taylor! lol).
Anyway, I couldn't afford the $200-300 (at the time) to get it repaired, so it sat in a closet for about 10 years. Every once in awhile, my dad and I would take it out and talk about using glue and clamps to repair it, and finally decided to give it a try. And it worked! I keep it tuned down a 1/2 step (out of caution), but it plays pretty well, considering. So it's a survivor, for sure -and special because my dad gave it to me AND resurrected it. : )
My other "keeper" is a custom build by Abe Wechter, really just gorgeous -both tonally and aesthetically. He no longer does custom work, which makes it even more precious to me. So I'd be probably be eating cat food before giving up either of those two.
Martin SPD-16R (2000)
Wechter Traditional Custom (2003)
Yamaha LL16 (2000)
Yamaha FG 460 S-12 (1986)

www.youtube.com/mmcs1222
Old 11-20-2015, 06:23 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post

Do you own a guitar you will never part with for any reason, be it sentimental, because you bonded with it, or the fact that it is the ONE guitar for you?
You can write this down and print it. I will never sell my old Martin.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:30 AM

If money becomes tight then I would sell any of my guitars with the exception of two; my dad's Ovation Balladeer and my early 70's Les Paul Custom which I've had since the early 80's. Unless something drastically happens those two are designated to go to my youngest daughter.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:34 AM

Rule 1 Edit

Last edited by Guest316; 11-20-2015 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Rule 1
Old 11-20-2015, 06:49 AM

To answer the OP. I thought I had owned that guitar but I was wrong.

Last edited by Guest316; 11-20-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Edited out deleted post that was quoted
Old 11-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Sometimes I wish that I had one that I could part with. The last to go would be a classical guitar that a local hobby luthier built for me.

This man builds guitars in a shop in his basement. He doesn't have all of the tools that the full time professional luthiers own. The craftmanship, as far as appearance. is more than adequate but not exquisite.

The builder took a considerable amount of time to help me select the woods. We took many measurements to get a good "fit" for me.

You can produce a charming "Old World" Spanish sound when you play the guitar. I enjoy playing it and listening to it.

Although, I have other guitars that produce a quality sound, a bigger sound, project better, and cost me more money, I would be most reluctant to give up this one. Even I could no longer play, I would probably keep this guitar and invite a friend over to play it.

Last edited by k_russell; 11-20-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I've got one I hope to never part with--but never say never.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 11-20-2015, 09:53 AM

I've learned enough about myself to know that everything is for sale, except for my fiancé and dogs. With that said, a friend gifted me a vintage Harmony Buck Owens "American" guitar. Given the kindness of that gesture, I won't ever sell that one. I'll probably give it to someone else when I get old.

I put a Fishman Matrix in it and it actually sounds great plugged in. Also has a pretty great stage presence I used it at the City Winery in Nashville back in January. Here's a pic:

http://cdn.americansongwriter.com/wp...new.jpg?b7d6fa
Old 11-20-2015, 11:27 AM

My son gave me a 1969 Martin Brazilian D-35. I'll never part with that. I have other guitars that I hope I will never part with but you never know.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:08 PM

I really love my Taylor 814ce Ltd with cocobolo back and sides. I shopped for 2 years looking for the right guitar before I found it. I had to go out of town to get it and my father-in-law drove me. It was the last time I spent any time with him solo as he died shortly thereafter. He didn't play guitar or know anything about them really, but he loved nice things, and he really liked the sound of this guitar. He seemed even happier than I did when I decided to go ahead and buy it.

The fact that it is a beautiful, awesome sounding and playing guitar AND of immense sentimental value to me means I can't imagine ever parting with it, but never say never I guess.
2006 Martin D28
1992 Yamaha LL35
1976 Gibson Les Paul
1966 Magnatone Tornado
Old 11-20-2015, 03:45 PM

Wow, this is the first thread I started that has racked up 10 pages of responses! Some really touching stories here.

I'm still looking for my dream guitar. I have a few nice ones as you can see from my signature, but none that I have really bonded with to a point that they have become a natural extension of me. It's difficult getting the ONE guitar when everything I get is acquired online based on reviews and youtube videos as opposed to me physically playing the instrument in a store. So far I haven't come a cross a guitar that I wanted to take home no matter what the cost. I know that I like Goodalls, but I was never able to justify spending 7 grand on one.
Bedell TB 18G
Bedell TB 28 G 12 string
Bedell Performance Plus JB-52-12-G
Eastman AC 420
Old 11-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I didn't tell my story. My Yamaha I bought in 1990. It was the first 'good" guitar I ever had, although it wasn't actually my first. It stayed with me through good times and bad, divorce, Mom, Dad, and 2 brothers passing. It has helped write a ton of songs that reflects each of these events. I have drug it across the country on vacations to business related seminars and training. The frets are starting to get worn and it developed a hazing I cannot get rid of. But inside that guitar and its strings tells of a 25 year journey I have had with it.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Default never part with...

Never part with my Goodall KCJC
Englemann over Figured Koa
Beautiful.....
Sensuous tone....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor