The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
No one guitar builder can be "everything to everybody" IMHO? Just gotta find what's right for you...not what's right for everyone else?
...and not get offended that people have different tastes than you (not you, Jim, but the general "you" )

Last edited by RP; 11-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 AM

When I start seeing threads where the theme is "My Martin D-28 sounds almost as good as XYZ guitar..." then they might grab my attention...

Funny how it usually isn't the way these threads are phrased, though.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
Either you like a guitar or you don't. I really don't get all this comparing your thousand dollar guitar to those $3000 other brand, stuff.
I own a Martin and a Collings and A Tacoma. I like them all for my own reasons.
They are not the same, yet they all have a place in my choir. I see no need to dis any of them or to dis your choice of guitar. The circumstances that led to my purchasing these guitars was partly choice but partly opportunity. I suspect that is the same with most. This sort of comparing is useless. check out the owners guitar reviews on Harmony Central. Just about everybody thinks their guitar is wonderful and that is how it should be. That's why they bought it. If you think your guitars are worlds better than Martins and Taylors that cost three times as much, good for you. You may have a hard time selling it to anyone but folks who bought the same brand.
funny how people see things differently. you find the OP's comments to be useless while i find them to be interesting.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-19-2013, 11:07 AM

It's interesting that we all tend to compare brands, rather than sounds.

I read Acoustic Guitar magazine faithfully every month, plus the British Acoustic magazine. Every second page is an ad for another guitar company. They all look really nice, and I'm sure they're all really good guitars, too.

But, I think the key, for us amateurs, is to pick our guitars for the sound we want.

I go to a country jam every Saturday night, and last Saturday there were over 20 guitars arranged in a circle. Everyone was playing at the same time.

There were:
Gibsons - a J-45, a Songwriter, a Hummingbird;
Martins - a DCPA4, a D18, an HD28, a D18GE;
Simon & Patrick - a Woodland Pro Folk, and a Woodland 12 string;
Yamaha - an old 12 string;
Duncan Africa - a dreadnought is Sapele;
and various other lesser brands.

I'm pretty sure my folk-sized S7P was the smallest guitar there, and I was the only fingerpicker, too.

On the few occasions where everybody was hitting a chord at the same time <grin>, it was pretty easy to pick out the Martin sound versus the Gibson sound, etc.

Martins clearly are designed to "lead the way" in a setting like that, and their sound is just right.

The Gibsons stay more in the middle of the pack, for me, and they are really nice and warm.

My S&P Woodland Pro? It held it's own, to my ears, but it definitely was a mid-tone guitar, compared to all the dreads.

If I was buying a new guitar JUST to play on Saturday night at the country jam, I'd buy a Martin for soloing, a Gibson for staying in the pack, and a banjo if I really wanted people to hear me.

My choice would be based on the sound I wanted, not the brand, though. So, I could still end up with an Ovation...if it gave me the right sound.
Washburn Mandolin
Kit-made Octave Mandolin
Martin HD-28
Old 11-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
funny how people see things differently. you find the OP's comments to be useless while i find them to be interesting.
+1 People are way too easily offended that not everyone shares their guitar preferences. I don't get it...
Old 11-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
+1 People are way too easily offended that not everyone shares their guitar preferences. I don't get it...
+ one more. These threads bring out the brand defenders or bashing accusations. Play what you like.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
I implore anyone looking in the $1-3k price range to find and try some of the more affordable handbuilt/small-shop guitars (Halcyon, Webber, Kronbauer, etc). You don't have to spend more money, but you may find you get "more" guitar for your money. For my tastes, I know I did.
Whatever your perspective, this quote deserves to be repeated. I think it hits on one of the most powerful things about what this forum has evolved into over the years. When I first joined the AGF, I assumed my only choices for an acoustic guitar where Martin, Taylor, Gibson or the Canadian company with the name I wasnt entirely sure how to pronounce. . .

Of course, my only exposure to the market for acoustic guitars was Guitar Center. As result, I bought a Taylor GA in Sinker Redwood/ Brazilian Rosewood. A few months later I found myself in a well known Mom and Pop in Seattle (Dusty Strings) where I played a Goodall. It was a little boring looking sitka mahogany parlor. That guitar completely eclipsed my Taylor in every way possible, top to bottom. That is one of those guitar geek moments I'll *never* forget. I sold the Taylor and never looked back. I'm not sure I ever would have discovered this world of boutique guitars had I not found AGF. Well, maybe eventually...but I sure would've wasted a bunch of money in the process.

Last edited by usb_chord; 11-19-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I recently got the chance to play a Halcyon OM and wasn't impressed. I guess the lesson is maybe there is no general consensus---get what sounds good to you. For me, I wouldn't trade what I have.
Wow! We have a FIRST ladies and gentlemen.
First time I've heard ANYONE who has TRIED one not like it.
I put my guitars into as many players' hands as possible and none have been unimpressed. Whether or not they were "for them" the voice, build and feel are undeniable.

Even if you normally drive an Escalade, the quality and fun factor of let's say...a new Ford Focus (IDK..Just trying to think of a CHEAP car that's just fun no mater who you are. I woulda said lambo but of COURSE everyone would love one of those $$$)...or maybe a different small sporty car.

I completely understand the OP comparing to the "high end" Martins. They may not be "high end" Martins but they are benchmark guitars. Kinda like Mullard amp tubes. Whether or not you consider them high end (many consider Telefunken or Siemens or GEC to be high-er end) or not, when you describe a tube to someone who knows tubes, you often compare them to the benchmark Mules.

Everyone knows that Martins sound a certain way. It's the Martin voice and it probably translates to all their models similar to how people correctly use Taylor ('s signature sound) as a benchmark to compare other (including Halcyons) to.
Whether or not a D18 and 28 are Martin's highest end offerings...they are benchmark guitars known industry-wide.
I live in a small town and believe me you, any of the musicians I know, if they saw a D28 being played on a stage, we would ALL consider it a high-end guitar. It might not have all the inlays a 45 does but it is definitely what would (around here at least) be considered pretty high-end.
We see a LOT of Seagulls and Taks and Ovations. Heck when anyone around here sees Taylor on a headstock...eeeeewwwww...ohhhhhhhh...awwwww..LOOK. ..a TAYLOR :-O even if it's only a 3 or 4 series.

Hey, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus...they make vehicles that aren't their own highest-end but ....at least around here and to the girls I go with, compared to a Kia or Hyundai, those "luxury" brands are HIGH END!

In most normal players' and all civilians' minds, Martins are high end guitars. Even the 18s and 28s. In fact, I bet that if I said to my rhythm section (granted they are a drummer and a bass player wink), would you rather have a Martin D18, D28 or D45...I BET they would select a 28..or an 18.

When I get a standard rw dread built, I will be saying..I want it to sound like a D28. When I get a hog backed dread built I will probably say I want it to be a clone of an 18. I wouldn't say I want it to sound like a D45 Marquis (?). If I wanted it to LOOK high end I would say I want as much abalone binding as a 45.

And of course, there are "high-er end" guitars than Martin's highest end production models. If we want to be super picky, NO Martin is High-End. A Proulx or Lowden or ???
So does high end mean the most expensive? The most blingged-out? The one that sounds the best?
WHAT are we considering high-end? Cause if it's high-end TONE...I know that there are more pricey and backlit and loaded with (useless?) features like solid gold knobs or diamond studded handles but a good old regular (benchmark) Ampeg SVT is a pretty high-end bass tone. Ask 99.999999% of pro stages.
There are many many many guitar amps than Marshalls. While a JTM45 or SLP100 are FAR from being their own high-end models, they to me and my audience, make some very high-end tones. But, my main gigger is a $600 Ceriatone clone of a Marshall. How do I describe it? It sounds "better" than the high-end Marshall 18w (the hw series). Is the hw 18w (1974Xhw) a "high-end" Marshall? I don't think so , not when they make 3 and 4 channel feature loaded monstrosities. Marshall makes everything from Chinese SS entry level amps to "high end" multi channel switchers loaded with digital modeling and effects, effects loops, blah blah blah blah.
Still though, when describing "high-end tone", there are a few benchmarks that I think have to be considered high-end (not to be confused with hi-fi) just because of how they SOUND and not because of how much fancy inlays and pricey wood.
I'd say for sure that some high-end tones are often not from that company's most pricey, featurefull, ornate, "high-end$$$$$" model(s).
When I speak of high-end acoustic guitar tones, which also just happen to be benchmarks to which all others are compared, absolutely a Martin D18, 28 and 35 come to mind along with Gibson's J-45s and AJs and Taylor's 3xx series.

Fellas, when you order your Halcyons, Ed will know exactly what you want if you say...I want this thing to sound like a Martin! If it's a hog backed geet he'll think 18. If it's rw he'll think 28. I realize that "benchmark" and "high-end" or "flagship" don't mean the same thing but...come-on, NOBODY "considers" a Martin D28 to be low-end. Heck, around here ANYTHING that says Martin on the headstock is considered "High-end".

The OP was comparing his Halcyon and Webbers to the benchmark Martins' high-end TONES. I mean I can't speak for him but I THINK we all know what he means. Does anyone ever say.."this guitar sounds as good as or better than a D45!"? They might say "this guitar has as much abalone as a 45"

And besides, I can't think of ANY company's (gear I mean..not cars) highest end (most expensive) model being it's best sounding.
Fender made Starcasters. Is a Starcaster a high-end or benchmark Fender tone? Nope.
Gibson made Hummingbirds and Les Paul Recording guitars. Are either of those the "high-end" or benchmark Gibson TONES? Nope
Taylor makes a $$$ Dave Matthews model.
Marshall makes some higher end amps than their best sounding models.
Ampeg makes higher end bass amps than the SVTClassis or RIs.

MBE, don't worry Brother. We ALL knew EXACTLY what you meant. Whether or not everyone wants to debate which Martin guitar is HIGH END and which ISNT really has nothing to do with what you were describing. Don't get caught-up in the stupid argument (that's why I'm here lol). Again, we all knew what you meant.

I LOVE both my Halcyons and everyone I know of who has ever played one LOVES them. For me and the other Halcyon owners, it could be the honeymoon period still. Maybe it's the HC complex where if I own it it's the BEST!!? Maybe we see the Emperor fully clothed? But again, EVERY SINGLE PERSON who has taken EITHER of my Halcyons was completely floored. I'd expect that from the local Seagull owners' group (everyone local) who just don't know any better lol...but I get the same reaction here AND on the road or at festivals back in the performers' area where some actual experienced guitar guys are.
2019 Halcyon SJ Cutaway Lutz/Flame walnut JJB SBT
Several PRS electric guitars and good old tube amps.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 11-19-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: argumentative
Old 11-19-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,snip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sn ip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,snipitty ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,snip snip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s nip.

I have a decent number of players over my house, I don't care what they play, I care how they play..............
Ha ha! Hi Rich, While I admire your open-minded standpoint, I don't know how much it is really put to the test...
I'm pretty sure you told us in another post recently, that all your playing buddies play Martins ?

Could just be my addled ol' short term memory playing tricks on me again though..
Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Guest 213

blaren, your post leaves me confused...do you or do you not like Halcyons???

Old 11-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Ha ha! Hi Rich, While I admire your open-minded standpoint, I don't know how much it is really put to the test...
I'm pretty sure you told us in another post recently, that all your playing buddies play Martins ?

Could just be my addled ol' short term memory playing tricks on me again though..
I'm confused by this post. Are you attempting to say he's contradicting himself? If so, I dont see it.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM

Nothing wrong with the Halcyon, just didn't think it was any better or worse than my Breedlove or Martin or any o f the mid-range Martin's and Taylors I have owned or played.

You shouldn't be surprised -- everyone's ears hear things differently. What may be fantastic to you might be "meh" to someone else.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 PM

The 000-15M sounded muffled and short-sustained to me, the HD-28 was bassy with what felt like a giant hole in the sonic spectrum where the midrange ought to be, and the 00-28VS, while certainly the nicest-sounding to my ear, seemed very plain in its sonic signature, as though the essence of the note was there, but without the detail or overtones that draw me in to a guitar's tone.

I'm kind of surprised a your comments on the 000-15M. None I have played sound muffled. and the HD-28 I played had awesome mid-range. Like I said, we all have different perceptions of sounds. No right or wrong.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post

It's you.......

Not everybody who comes over is an established playing buddy, I have a decent amount of "company", and my point was how they play "counts" as I beieve it is more fun and comfortable for all when folks have similar skill levels.

But what instrument they play is their business, if they make it sing mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
When I start seeing threads where the theme is "My Martin D-28 sounds almost as good as XYZ guitar..." then they might grab my attention...

Funny how it usually isn't the way these threads are phrased, though.

Amen to that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion