The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 PM

Default Which Martin 00-42SC is nicer, in your opinion?

Hi everybody,

I may be up in the running for either of these guitars. Both through a ton of overtime, saving, and payment plans, haha.

I'm a stickler for grain (top, back, sides, everything), but I'm having a hard time deciding which of these has a nicer grain pattern. I know that this is a personal thing to me, but I'm looking for some outside opinions. I feel like AGF has members of some of the greatest attention to detail, so I'd like to ask: which of these do you like the most and why?

#1: http://www.fullersguitar.com/Martin/...uitar?vmcchk=1

#2: http://www.musicgalleryinc.com/Marti..._p/1708338.htm
Old 11-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratLovesLenny View Post
Hi everybody,

I may be up in the running for either of these guitars. Both through a ton of overtime, saving, and payment plans, haha.

I'm a stickler for grain (top, back, sides, everything), but I'm having a hard time deciding which of these has a nicer grain pattern. I know that this is a personal thing to me, but I'm looking for some outside opinions. I feel like AGF has members of some of the greatest attention to detail, so I'd like to ask: which of these do you like the most and why?

#1: http://www.fullersguitar.com/Martin/...uitar?vmcchk=1

#2: http://www.musicgalleryinc.com/Marti..._p/1708338.htm
I prefer the back of the one at Music Gallery

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-27-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Hate to say it, but....

Neither. I've played both and have been underwhelmed, but that's just me. If that's the sound you're going for, have it at.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:57 PM

Fuller's looks "better" to me. At least in regards to the grain pattern on the back.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
Neither. I've played both and have been underwhelmed, but that's just me. If that's the sound you're going for, have it at.
Have you actually played those guitars? Or just have played the 00-42SC? I do love Martin 12-fretters both in concept and tone, but if those are duds, I'm staying clear. Were you looking for a 00-42SC in particular? Those shops aren't too close together, haha.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:35 PM

I have a 00-42SC that I purchased from MFG about 2 months ago. I got to pick it up right at the Martin factory. I will say that in my opinion, these guitars are incredible. I also have an OMJM and I think that the 00 has much more presence to it's sound. The base is stronger with the elongated 12 fret body. The mids and highs are clear with tons of sustain. I can't say anything bad about this guitar. Have you seen the one that is for sale at Gruhn Guitars. It has the most incredible back that I have ever seen. They're also great to deal with there. I don't think you can go wrong with this guitar.

http://www.gruhn.com/photo/AB8668.jpg
Old 11-27-2013, 05:29 PM

Any pictures? I'd love to see some!

Okay, well I think I'm going for this either way, but I'd still like to hear opinions. Yes, I saw that one at Gruhns but I'd rather go for a less jagged grain.

I like the super straight sides of the Music Gallery one, but the back of the Fullers really is bright and glowing. Usually I like super straight grain all around, but I make an exception for cocobolo because the waviness has a nice quality to it.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Not to be rude, but at that price I wouldn't want either one. Not to mention a guy mentioned he's played both and was underwhelmed.

That money could get you a truly exceptional guitar and that one isn't it, in my mind.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-27-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Not to be rude, but at that price I wouldn't want either one. Not to mention a guy mentioned he's played both and was underwhelmed.

That money could get you a truly exceptional guitar and that one isn't it, in my mind.
That price isn't really the price.

And, one person said he was underwhelmed. But, another person said it was incredible. I think we all like guitars that fit our style, which very likely differs from another's style. So, another's opinion really doesn't mean all that much. Gotta play 'em to decide.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
You've played the exact guitars the OP linked to???? One is in Texas, the other is in Illinois.....

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 11-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

My opinion is... (takes a moment to think of a 'nice' way to say it...)

I think you are being extremely foolish to ask opinions of a guitar that you are willing to go WAY out on a limb for, financially, from a bunch of total (albeit friendly!) strangers! I think you should go play them; at that sort of price (or even $2,000 lower), I would have the guitar in my hands for a good while or I wouldn't buy it. I agree with whomever said that you can get a LOT of guitar for $7k (or $5k), even small hand made shop instruments... you asked for an opinion, so there it is.

Now, as to which one of the two I like most? The one at the Guitar Gallery... for one thing, it's difficult to tell much from either set of photos; the lighting in both sets was nearly inadequate, seemed like a light of the color was washed out... that said, I just liked the look of the wood sets better on the Gallery guitar.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Of the two original choices, I like the music gallery one.
The Gruhn one I really loved though.
I like my coco as swirled as possible , and sapwood is very welcome. That is not the standard likes of more conservative guitar tastes, though, most folks like super straight grains on their woods.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 PM

Ferganzo and I actually own a number of Martins in this range so maybe we know a little............

One, the prices are no where near what you should pay, just the lowest they can advertise in print.

Two, as he said I would want to play them and let my ears decide, not my eyes. For that kind of money you need to love the guitar and you can't do that with pictures. I guarantee if you were in a room with both of them for a while you would prefer one, that's the one you need to buy.

Best of luck!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-28-2013, 12:10 AM

I like the more symmetrical one at Fuller's.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 11-28-2013, 12:15 AM

Number two - - - -

Both beautiful, and I'd love to hear either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion