The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2009, 05:40 AM

Question Cheapest Guitar with Solid Woods 1 7/8" Nut width & 2 3/8" String Spacing

I was searching for about a week or two now for a guitar that has all solid woods with 1 7/8 nut and 2 3/8 string spacing without any luck...

is there ANY chance of finding a guitar that is not above lets say 2k$ ? , there is always the option of custom built but thats mostly 4k$+, for example Larviee SD50/SD60 is about 4k and Martin Ditson is about 5k...I know that probably there isnt that kind of guitar in the 1k-2k range becouse its less popular then usual messurments of 1 11/16" but im starting to think that the fact is that i will HAVE to spend 4k$+ if i want a guitar with those messurments....I hope that im wrong but if im right ill start saving money today...:S

Thanks,
Jesse.
Crown K-1 (1975)
Admira Sevilla (1990)
Deering Banjo Goodtime II (2008)
Fender Startocaster 60th Anniversery
Vox AC-15

My Youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/JesseMathews

My Space page: http://www.myspace.com/jessemathews1983
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 AM

This is in trying to resolve that equation that I discovered the Macaferri's and resonators.
There are models with 1"7/8 nut, and then you can enlarge the string spacing at bridge to your liking.
The cheapest model I found was a SX "copy" of an oval hole Selmer. We are talking dirt cheap here, and gives a lot for the money. I sold it because the sound was not really inspiring for me, but I found it a really good blues machine that could fit your style, Jesse. Parallel bracing and all. Easy to have a test, knowing the price (200 bucks with a nice case, now this is cheap...)
The Gitane D-500 I'm using now is wonderful. Much more versatile than expected. The image of gypsy guitar is strong, but this model is much less dry than usual. I tried several ones since, and they are consistent, which is even more surprising.
The tricone and single cone resonators are also tweakable. I happen to like the sound, but of course not for everyone.
Using a tricone as a fingerstyle machine is interesting, tho. See my signature for examples.
A single cone is very different.
The response of these design to the touch is very rewarding.

Now, these are *not* all solid wood instruments...

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic

Last edited by jpbat; 05-11-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 AM

jpbat....my friend who actually makes copies of the old Selmer guitars, told me that these guitars were NOT made for Gypsy jazz music, they were just regular guitars made in France, the Gyspy Jazz guys adapted them to their music. They were using all sorts of guitars for gyspy music....'f' hole archtops and the like. I find the Selmers great for blues, jazz, any percussive rhythm guitar playing, and doing leads, cutting through the mix at jams.....all good...I have one and don't even play Gypsy Jazz....
Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

if you absolutely have to have 1-7/8 nut, i guess you'll just have to pay up...
1-3/4 is easy to find. you sure you can't adapt to that little bit of difference?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 AM

The Blueridge BR-341 and BR-361 can be found new with a hardshell case for under $1K.

They have a 1 7/8" nut width, but I think the string spacing at the bridge may be more like 2 5/16" (which I prefer to 2 3/16", FWIW). They are also probably smaller than you want.

A custom can be built by several builders here on AGF for under $2500 according to prices on their sites, so that may be an option for you.

Bill
Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 PM

jpbat - Thanks but i think ill go for an all solid wood guitar, allthough one day i will buy a resonator i need a fingerstyle machine first :P.

banpreso - to tell you the truth i dont have almost any stores next to me with 1 3/4 necks, not to talk about 1 7/8...i have heard that one of the main stores next to me got a OM revivel breedlove and i want to go and try it ASAP and ill see finaly how it feels, although i do have a nylon string 1 7/8 which is very nice for fingerpicking so i know that size but not 1 3/4...

Broadus - did you try those blueridges ? , do those parlor guitar have any bass , there much smaller then classical nylon strings which are 000 ?, from what my experiance i like the OM/000 body for fingerpicking, although i didnt try the parlor size so i dont know how they sound, ofcourse its not the same with every parlor guitar...

its good to know that there are builders for that price, would you be so kind and give me a few of there sites so i can have a look ?.

sometimes i feel that i need to go to america only to buy a guitar LOL ! , you have no idea how lucky you guys are to have all those selections of different guitars and custom builders...also here its double the price for the same guitars...

Thanks Everybody ! .
Crown K-1 (1975)
Admira Sevilla (1990)
Vox AC-15

Old 05-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Jesse, I've not played one, but here is a YouTube video of a BR-361 which gives you an idea of its sound. It's pretty impressive to me.

Bill
Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

I've tried the Blueridge parlors and they're surprisingly good. It's a OO size. They have very good bass response and I highly recommend them for their price range.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
jpbat....my friend who actually makes copies of the old Selmer guitars, told me that these guitars were NOT made for Gypsy jazz music, they were just regular guitars made in France, the Gyspy Jazz guys adapted them to their music. They were using all sorts of guitars for gyspy music....'f' hole archtops and the like. I find the Selmers great for blues, jazz, any percussive rhythm guitar playing, and doing leads, cutting through the mix at jams.....all good...I have one and don't even play Gypsy Jazz....
oh yes, Mario Macaferri didn't designed his guitars with gypsy music in mind, it's just that the use of these guitars by Django (mainly), and by almost all gypsy jazz player since, is leading to the belief that they are good only for gypsy music, which is very untrue.
I personnally find the design very smart, and I don't play any gypsy jazz.
The Gitane I own is a terrific fingerstyle machine.
It really "sings", I like its visual aspect, and it doesn't cost a arm and a leg.
And what impressed me a great deal is that *any* D-500 I tried (about 6 to date), had the same behaviour as mine.

Being willing to give a go at *any* 1"7/8 nut guitar (I have a Folklore Ovation, a Takamine EN30C, a few resos, the upcoming Brunner will have a special wide neck geometry too), I tried several of those Blueridge, and to date was not impressed by them, but probably have been unlucky. Anyway, it can be seen as a lack of consistency in the production. They are lovely, tho.

BTW, blue-wily-fox, can your friend have a website or anything, so I can drool all I want on his guitars ? (you know... GAS...)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Seagull makes guitars with 1.8" nuts, but I don't know much about their all solid wood line of guitars.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Seagull makes guitars with 1.8" nuts, but I don't know much about their all solid wood line of guitars.
The only concern about Seagull, as far as the OP is concerned, is that all Godin steel string guitars have a 2 1/8" bridge string spacing. At least that's what I understand from Michel's email me when I asked about the string spacing on a Seagull Coastline Folk and Grand some time back:
Both the Folk and the parlor sized Coastline Grand have a 2 1/8" spacing at the bridge (from E to E). All our 6 string models use the same saddle, and therefore have the same string spacing at the bridge.
Bill
Old 05-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Matthews View Post
I was searching for about a week or two now for a guitar that has all solid woods with 1 7/8 nut and 2 3/8 string spacing without any luck...

is there ANY chance of finding a guitar that is not above lets say 2k$ ? , there is always the option of custom built but thats mostly 4k$+, for example Larviee SD50/SD60 is about 4k and Martin Ditson is about 5k...I know that probably there isnt that kind of guitar in the 1k-2k range becouse its less popular then usual messurments of 1 11/16" but im starting to think that the fact is that i will HAVE to spend 4k$+ if i want a guitar with those messurments....I hope that im wrong but if im right ill start saving money today...:S

Thanks,
Jesse.
Jesse, I have abeautiful custom Dread made by Wayne Tygert. It has a 1 7/8" nut width. I haven't measured the string spacing. It has a beautiful adirondack spruce top and EIR back and sides bound with maple. The bridge and fretboard are ebony. I will measure the string spacing. I may be interested in selling it if you are interested. I can send photos and soundclips if you want.
Jeff
Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 AM

Broadus - thanks i think my best bet will be to try those 2 blueridges apart from the video you put here there is also a video of the 341 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjvqpEZCsT8

and another video of the 361 from maury's store :

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1530927/m/br361.wmv

and of the 341 :

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1530927/m/BR341.wmv

the price is very good for an all solid guitar and the neck is nice too so i guess i have to hunt these blueridges down and try to find a good one, i hope i will find it here but if not and it will be my last resort ill order online...but i much rather try before buy...on the other hand i bought online my Martin D-1 and i was very happy with it, i ordered it from the "music123" website...anybody knows if there still shipping outside the USA ? or anybody knows about any online store which ships outside of the USA ? .
Crown K-1 (1975)
Admira Sevilla (1990)
Vox AC-15

Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 AM

In your first Msg you mention the Larrivee SD-50...an put it at around 4k...this is the new MAP price but if you keep your eyes out for a used one you should be able to get one for less than 2k...more like 1500...check over at the Larrivee forum.....absolutley NO lack of bass in ab SD....they are CANNONS!

Best of luck

Blue

Larrivee OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
Silvercreek T-170
Composite Acoustics Cargo RAW
Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 AM

yea my first choice will be a 12 fret dreads with that neck...the thing is how the hell ill find a second hand when even i dont have a chance to play a new one... unless somebody here is selling the guitar and even then probably i can't play the guitar before buying it...
Crown K-1 (1975)
Admira Sevilla (1990)
Vox AC-15

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion