The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2022, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Back in 2015 I had gas for a 00 slot head so I picked up an Alvarez solid top/lam back and sides AP66SB. Nice little guitar. The first time changing strings was interesting, but after that it's just more to be careful about. They do look nice though. I think if I had gotten a larger bodied guitar it would get played more, but I'm not knocking the 12 fret with a slot head design though. GAS is fickle at times.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 03-11-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
I wanted to ditto that as I always play seated without a strap - with all that wood cut out, the slothead headstocks are generally lighter.

But also to add the slightest nit-pic that probably no one thinks twice about. After playing for decades, when tuning a paddle head I still can't made the mental adjustment 100% of the time when going from the 3 bass side tuners to the treble side, I'll invariably loosen when I meant to tighten that G string.

On a paddlehead all 6 tuners tighten in exactly the same direction so I get it right the first time 100%.
And their orientation provide a much more ergonomic angle to get your fingers on and turn them.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-11-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Back in 2015 I had gas for a 00 slot head so I picked up an Alvarez solid top/lam back and sides AP66SB. Nice little guitar. The first time changing strings was interesting, but after that it's just more to be careful about. They do look nice though. I think if I had gotten a larger bodied guitar it would get played more, but I'm not knocking the 12 fret with a slot head design though. GAS is fickle at times.
I really enjoyed your playing from the video in your signature.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-11-2022, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
I'm contemplating a custom order for an Iris DF. One of the options I'm considering is a 12 fret neck with slotted headstock (even though I think the $500 upcharge for a slotted headstock is somewhat extreme ). I have owned 20-30 guitars over the years, but never had a slothead.
Hi Mak

If you are determined to donate blood, consider going to a local blood bank to donate blood. And they pay for it!

I own one slot head which often has too-old-strings on it. In over 10 years, I'm not recalling at least one blood-letting finger stick while changing strings on it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-11-2022, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_D View Post
I really enjoyed your playing from the video in your signature.
Thanks Terry!

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 03-11-2022, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I don’t get the string changing problems. I find it takes me 5-7 minutes for a regular guitar and maybe 8-10 minutes for an open headstock. I don’t think they are much lighter as they are normally much thicker, but nonetheless, I don’t hear a benefit. I have 12-frets in both styles and they all sound like 12-frets. My biggest issue is that I think the Iris paddle logo is really too much so I’d pay for the open headstock. They keep their costs down by CNC and such so any changes probably slow them down a bit, but it’s very nice that they offer so many options. I’m super impressed by what they can do for the price. Especially since Waterloo is on hold.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:33 AM

Got my first steel string slothead last year, and after 50 years of changing stings on a classical, I was a little surprised that I had a little difficulty with my first string change. Must have been an off day as I had no problems with the next two.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

BTW, Here's your intended guitar for sale. Why wait an order one?
https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/184567#184567
Old 03-11-2022, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
BTW, Here's your intended guitar for sale. Why wait an order one?
https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/184567#184567
Thanks for the link - appreciate it! Unfortunately, that's the Smeck model vs the standard DF. There's also a 2 month old Smeck with the same specs for sale on Reverb at a great price ($500 less) - if it was the standard DF body, it would already be on the way to me.

The good news is, it looks like I am going to get my specs on a current dealer order that's due in a couple of months - so at least I get to skip the 12-14 month lead time.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Default We shall see if a Slothead is for me

It looks like the DF I had in mind is nowhere to be found without at least a 6-8 month wait if I take a dealer's open slot or 12-14 if I ordered it direct from Iris.

This is a retirement gift to myself, so I decided to go ahead with a 2 month old "as new / mint" DF Smeck 12 fret model with slotted headstock listed on Reverb. It was purchased new from Acoustic Vibes Music on 2/5/22 with a build date of 10/21. The price was $700 off the new price if I ordered one plus free shipping, so it was a really good deal. Now I have to wait for it to travel from Hawaii to Florida.

Thanks again for everyone's input and opinions!
Old 03-16-2022, 08:04 AM

I love them both , but with the increased break angle
its perfect for DADGAD.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:43 AM

I like Mr. Moustache's attention to detail during the string change video, e.g., keeping the barrels straight. However, changing strings with round cores is what makes it a PIA, imo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion