The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-22-2024, 06:56 AM

Lip synching, backing tracks, AI, CGI, it's difficult to tell nowadays what's real and what isn't. Kinda scary when you think about it.

I don't bemoan anyone for making money, and as much as possible for that matter. I don't even know if KNOWING someone is using backing tracks, if that would prevent me from enjoying a show. But I would not like to go to a show that's completely faked and trying to be passed off as a "live" performance. I think that qualifies as bait and switch.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:11 AM

I remember seeing a concert film on TV several years ago, of one of the major old rock bands - maybe the Who, Fleetwood Mac, or even the Stones. And if you looked closely, you could see some other guys behind and under the stage, that were playing instruments to fill in the sound.

I read an interview a long time ago, with the Doobie Brothers, (past their prime) about an upcoming tour. Whichever guy it was, he said something apologetically, like well we're a corporation now, with employees with families and dental plans and pensions. Essentially, we have to keep making money because we support a lot of people. So greed is too simple an explanation.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
I remember seeing a concert film on TV several years ago, of one of the major old rock bands - maybe the Who, Fleetwood Mac, or even the Stones. And if you looked closely, you could see some other guys behind and under the stage, that were playing instruments to fill in the sound.
My wife and I went to see Journey when they came through St Paul a few years ago. Actually, I went to see Dave Mason and the Doobie Brothers on the same bill - but I digress

Soon after Journey started their set, I noticed that what the keyboard player seemed to be playing did not match what I was hearing. Looking more closely, there was another keyboard player on stage, in the shadows behind the band. Once I’d seen him (or her), I couldn’t really take it seriously. We left before the end of the set due to ear-splitting volume, and Neal Schon’s relentless and pointless soloing (and execrable tone - but I digress again).
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic