The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2021, 03:07 PM

Default Not sure where to put this

Not sure where to put this- a clip on tuner comaparison video

A DeltaLab CT10 I got from GC in early 2020
and the Unitune clip on I got today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB1vlxzLLeA
Old 11-12-2021, 03:13 PM

Interesting clip - not sure I'd like the Unitune switching itself off like that especially when re-stringing a 12-string.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-12-2021, 03:22 PM

Gadgets that power off in the middle of something (or phones that lock the screen in the middle of something) are a pet peeve of mine.

Ignoring that (if we can!) it looks like overall the Unitune will show a slight off-tune indication more sensitively than your other device. Just a touch more precise or maybe it's just more finicky.

It is kind of worrying that the two devices can't quite agree with what "in tune" is on every string. I had that trouble comparing two iPad/iPhone apps (Airyware and iStrobosoft) where on certain strings they seemed to want "in tune" to be a couple cents different between them.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-13-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Gadgets that power off in the middle of something (or phones that lock the screen in the middle of something) are a pet peeve of mine.

Ignoring that (if we can!) it looks like overall the Unitune will show a slight off-tune indication more sensitively than your other device. Just a touch more precise or maybe it's just more finicky.

It is kind of worrying that the two devices can't quite agree with what "in tune" is on every string. I had that trouble comparing two iPad/iPhone apps (Airyware and iStrobosoft) where on certain strings they seemed to want "in tune" to be a couple cents different between them.

Yes, I do wonder about the in tune disagreements-

As far as powering off, I'm not sure what to make of that- if it does all the time, I'll just return it- and I will be using it enough to stay in the return window.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

A man with one tuner always knows whether or not he is in tune. A man with two tuners is never sure.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-13-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
As far as powering off, I'm not sure what to make of that- if it does all the time, I'll just return it- and I will be using it enough to stay in the return window.
GD, the Unitune powers off after 3 minutes, presumably as a battery-saving device for those who might forget to shut it off. But I wish it were 4 or 5 minutes, sometimes it shuts down when I'm still tuning. Not a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the video, you've got a great baritone there!
Old 11-13-2021, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

So it’s not 3 minutes without receiving a signal? Its good to save power if you take it off and put it in the case, or on a side table, but as long as its clipped on, and getting vibrations, I’d hope it’d stay active -
Old 11-13-2021, 11:30 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
A man with one tuner always knows whether or not he is in tune. A man with two tuners is never sure.

Bob
Ah, one of the great AGF proverbs. Well done, well done

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-13-2021, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
So it’s not 3 minutes without receiving a signal? Its good to save power if you take it off and put it in the case, or on a side table, but as long as its clipped on, and getting vibrations, I’d hope it’d stay active -
My cheapie shuts itself down after three minutes if it isn't receiving any signal. Which saves on batteries for sure. But sometimes I just leave it on the headstock and I'll realize forty five minutes later that it is still on because I haven't stopped playing long enough for it to turn itself off. Anyway, maybe that's the deal with the Unitune, it is for the player who wants to leave it clipped to the headstock while they play.

My stupid spell check is making me do tricks in order to type in headstock. It keeps changing it to breadsticks. I should have left it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-13-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Nope. Three minutes, active or not.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
This shut off is my pet peeve with the Unitune and why it's not useful for me during a show. It shuts off regardless of signal or not. A slight annoyance when I'm home. A big inconvenience during a set. I keep thinking there must be a setting I'm missing to adjust this.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 11-13-2021, 02:32 PM

In my opinion if you can’t tune a six string guitar in 3 minutes there. is something wrong somewhere but if it does take that long then press the button easy Peasy , as they say ..........
Old 11-14-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
In my opinion if you can’t tune a six string guitar in 3 minutes there. is something wrong somewhere but if it does take that long then press the button easy Peasy , as they say ..........
Well, in this instance, I was playing with it and figuring out whether I liked it or not- oh, and the power button is very small (as is the entire case) and flush with the case, so turning it on, (or off) is a PITA and I have smallish hands-

other tuners (including the one I used in the video for comparison) shuts down if there is no signal- and other tuners also swivel, this one doesn't- I do like the aluminum clamp though -
Old 11-14-2021, 08:16 AM

I'm a tech, and I have a BUNCH of tuners, ranging from a vintage tube-driven Conn StrobeTuner, to various hand-held, to a bunch of different clip-on's, and several phone apps. While my Unitune clip-on is easy to use, and accurate enough to use for intonation, I seldom use it because the auto-turn-off is so annoying AND the thing eats batteries EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF!
Old 11-14-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
I seldom use it because the auto-turn-off is so annoying AND the thing eats batteries EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF!
Stormin', my experience is the opposite. The Unitune uses a CR2032 battery and I get 10 or more months out of it, tuning once or twice a day with it. Usually, but not always, I am tuned before it turns off, so sometimes I have to turn it on again, which is a button-press and is not a burden to me. Maybe, as a tech, you are using the tuner much more per day than I do. Or maybe you're using off-brand batteries? I find Energizer batteries to be worth the cash, about a buck-and-a-quarter each.

So which tuner do you prefer over the Unitune?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion