The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2021, 09:50 AM

Default The Appeal of the Slot Head

I’ve owned a few slot head guitars over the years and thought they were all excellent instruments and really wish I had held on to at least one, but alas, I gave the last one I had to my grandson for his 18th birthday a few years ago. He really loves that guitar and it has encouraged him to play and practice even more. Was wondering if any of you guys actually prefer slot heads over traditional solid head guitars and why. I think they look cool as all get out myself. I know some folks complain about restringing them, but I never really thought it was any big deal. Anyway, would love to hear your comments, opinions, pics, etc, on slot heads.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:55 AM

Hate them.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:59 AM

I have several slot heads. They are fine . . . until I have to change strings.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:01 AM

I see the appeal but once you get past the "cool and unusual" honeymoon period you start to see why most of the world switched to paddle heads a century or so ago.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-11-2021, 10:07 AM

Slotheads are my preference mostly due to the ergonomics of tuning. My slightly arthritic hands experience sharp pain at times when using vertical tuners. My slot heads don't trigger that pain.

Re-stringing is no problem; I simply put a sharp bend in the string approximately three inches past the tuner's string post, cut the end 1/2" past the bend, stick the string through and wind. I also never have to worry about sticking myself with a sharp string end or catching the soft fabric of a gig bag.

I build everything I play and have made many banjos and a few guitars using Grover Sta-tite Deluxe tuners for slot heads and love them for price and smooth function. I pull the buttons and replace with ABS or wood buttons to reduce head stock / peg head weight.

There will always be those that are firmly entrenched in one tuner orientation or the other, no problem with relegating it to personal preference.

Last edited by Rudy4; 11-11-2021 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I like them, for appearance mainly. As you said, restringing isn't a big deal. A 12-fret with a slot head just seems right to me.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:22 AM

not a fan of slotted head stocks.

the only one is my taylor nylon, and I guess for that, there's little other choice.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-11-2021, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Slotted headstocks are an extension of the classical head-stock.
Solid headstocks are cheaper to make.

Slotted headstocks are far more ergonomic when adjusting the tuning.

Slotted headstocks are far easier to de- and restring than slabheads.

Slotted headstocks to not get scratched by strings like slabheads do.

Slotted headstocks enable the strings to run squarely over the nut without touching each other (if strung properly).

See :

Here's my old video on restringing - ..note - it's long - get coffee first.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

I like 'em. Two of my three are slot heads, purchased mainly because they were 12-fretters.

Restringing is easy enough because I use an electric string winder.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:14 AM

I like the way they look, more interesting to my eye and more intricate craftsmanship. String changing is equally annoying to me with either kind of headstock, no big difference one way or the other.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:19 AM

I hated changing strings on my Martin 00028vs until I watched and applied Silly Moustache's video recommendations.

I can still change them faster on a standard headstock because I wrap the strings before inserting end in peg and final tuning.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:31 AM

Most of my guitars are slotheads. Just like the look. Plus most slotheads are paired with widernecked guitars which I also dig.
Stringing has never presented a problem.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Love the look, I find the string change faster than paddle heads.

And on an Iris guitar, it's the only way to make their ... let's call it controversial ... headstock design go away

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-11-2021, 11:45 AM

I LOVE the looks of them but shy away from them now. I have arthritic hands, and the simple paddle head is much easier for me to deal with. But, as noted above, Silly Moustache has had a different experience.

I once asked a luthier why some of his 12 fretters had paddle heads, and why some of his 14 fretters had slot heads? He responded that it was what the owners of the various guitar requested. I then asked him it made a tonal difference? I was surprised when he said not really, that it was mostly one of aesthetics and traditions. Over the years, he has conducted "blind taste tests" with the various configurations, and very few if anyone got it right. He had similar results to his EIR vs Brazilian Rosewood "blind taste tests."

Tommy
Old 11-11-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I much prefer the look of slotted headstocks on some guitars. There are definitely some guitars where a paddle headstock just looks better. I also prefer them for tuning since, as others have pointed out, the ergonomics for tuning is much better. While I don't find changing strings any more difficult on a slotted headstock, I'll admit that string changes on a paddle headstock are faster.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion