The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Select all that apply. How do feel about the D'Addario XS strings (not XT, not EXP)
They're fantastic! 23 33.33%
They're ok 22 31.88%
They're terrible! 1 1.45%
Way too slippery -- more slippery than Elixir 5 7.25%
Not as slippery as Elixir 9 13.04%
Not slippery at all 8 11.59%
They sound amazing 14 20.29%
The tone is lacking something 13 18.84%
They sound terrible 0 0%
They last longer than Elixirs 6 8.70%
They don't last any longer than my usual strings 2 2.90%
Other (specify in your reply) 15 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2021, 06:28 AM

They last longer than Elixiers on my D-18. For some reason I kill EJ-17s in 2 days (or one gig) and Elixirs in 2 weeks.
The XSs are still nice after a month.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 10-30-2021, 09:34 AM

I voted both more slippery and less slippery than Elixirs because I cannot remember how slippery Elixirs are. These are definitely too slippery for me.
Plus the tone is lacking some low end.

Not a bad experience for the 999 points they charged my Players Circle account. Will not use them again.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:51 AM

3 days in and a change in practice rooms and I’m liking what I’m hearing now.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-30-2021, 10:02 AM

I did longevity test... and still have them on the guitar (more than 5 month )

Old 10-30-2021, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I wasn’t going to write this up because I figured it only happens in my brain, but figured it’s no more crazy than other things I’ve written. Here’s my unsatisfactory experience using 8 sets of XS on 8 different guitars. I also find the XS strings mute the overall tone, resulting in a lower perceived bass and an increased perceived emphasis on high end.

I didn’t go looking for this, but I intermittently heard a “plunky” percussive, thud-type tone (much less ring to the note) from the G string when struck with a pick while playing. It’s perfectly fine with finger picking. In fact I love the tone and feel when fingerpicking. This happens most noticeably when the G is fretted on #2 fret, but happens to some extent on — open, #1, #2 and #3. Once I heard this undesirable tone I started to notice the same tone with the D string to a much lesser degree. However, once I heard it I can’t unhear it. So then I started to investigate specifics.

I put my guitar on my lap in a playing position. Then plucked the G string with a pick while fretted on #2 fret — dead center of the sound hole. Next I repeat this over and over in a sequence moving in small steps away from the center of the sound hole toward the bridge. I also repeat the sequence moving from the center of the sound hole toward the fretboard. I can find a spot where the dullish, short, punchy tone sounds. Most of the time it is located somewhere close to the center of the sound hole, but heading off-center toward the bridge. Right where I normally strum!!! Like I said, fret #2 is the worst, but happens to a lesser degree at other points.

I’m familiar with this because it happens on a some of my guitars when I use Elixir strings and don’t use Elixir strings on those guitars because I hear that tone. (BTW - Elixirs are my favorite string choice on 4 guitars). I have found that the XS strings do this on every one of my guitars except for 1 (not so much). Every other string I’ve ever used rings fine. Treated strings are fine. It only happens with coated Elixir (on some guitars) and XS strings (on all my guitars)

Conclusions: 1) I’m crazy (check) 2) There’s something peculiar about the resonance of thickly coated strings in that range 3) My hearing acuity is compromised in that frequency (no surprise from years of using power equipment) 4) all of the above 5) None of the above.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:19 PM

I finally removed the XS from my Ibanez AW54CE after 7 months and replaced them with D'Addario Nickel Bronze. What a loud guitar! It's noticeably louder with the NB. Is it because they're new? Not sure. I thought it was loud with the XS. The NB have more bass response. The trebles stand out more with the NB. Again, maybe the XS were finally worn out.

I do know I don't like the slippery nature of the XS. Way too slippery--more so than Elixirs to me. I bought and installed a set of Elixirs on my Yamaha AC3M Deluxe just to see if my mind was playing tricks on me.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:27 PM

I put some XS medium phosphors on my J45 because the Guitar Center was out of the XT's that I've been using lately.

My initial impression is that they are a bit more muted than the XT's (probably even more so than a non coated string) and a bit quieter finger picking on the lower wound strings.

They sound warmer out of the box than XTs or EJs. There is hardly any string zing that I hate waiting to subside (still treble bite and clarity though). Maybe a little less bass on the lower strings, but playing mediums on a J45 gives me more than enough to work with.

The only negative thing I found is that they are harder to bend - when string my low E the string really didn't want to make the initial bend and kept trying to flip over on itself (I like to pre-cut and do 1 over, rest under).

If you have a dull guitar (or a cedar / mahogany top) I'd probably go with something else, especially given what they cost.

I think I'll go back to the XTs for the next round.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I finally removed the XS from my Ibanez AW54CE after 7 months and replaced them with D'Addario Nickel Bronze. What a loud guitar! It's noticeably louder with the NB. Is it because they're new? Not sure. I thought it was loud with the XS. The NB have more bass response. The trebles stand out more with the NB. Again, maybe the XS were finally worn out.

I do know I don't like the slippery nature of the XS. Way too slippery--more so than Elixirs to me. I bought and installed a set of Elixirs on my Yamaha AC3M Deluxe just to see if my mind was playing tricks on me.
I found the Nickel Bronze to be louder, slightly, than Elixirs or regular D'Addario Phosphor Bronze. But after the first day or so it's only a slightly loudness difference, to me.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-14-2021, 02:48 PM

I like them but cost over twice as much as plain EJ17’s yet not twice as good in my opinion
Old 11-14-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I wanted to like them, but they are pretty dull, particularly in comparison to the EXPs. Just for kicks and giggles I tried a set of Elixir nanos and a set if EJ 16s, neither of which I’ve used in over a decade. To my surprise I like both better than the XS strings, particularly the EJs.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested

Last edited by Feste; 11-14-2021 at 03:32 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion