The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reholli View Post
The two Art & Lutherie guitars I currently own surprised me with their overall quality (tone, playability and build)...every bit as satisfying as the Martin 00-18 and 00-21 I'd previously owned.

Over the 8 years I've owned them, they continue to surprise me. Links in my sig.
Although I don't have an A&L I do have a Simon & Patrick and I share the same sentiments.

I'll also say that I've been surprisingly impressed with the Martin X series 12 string (D12X1AE). I'm not much of a fan of the other X models but I do like the 12 string.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Definitely my Seagull. I get lost in the tone.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 AM

I will second the GS Mini but the real surprise was the Holden Village Limited Edition. I had tried both the sitka and hog topped versions and was pretty set on getting a hog top. Then I stumbled upon info about the HV model. For looks and of course for the donation aspect it was a no brainer for me because I wanted a Mini anyways. The big surprise was how well that old growth engelmann captured the sweet spot of the GS Mini. Turns out the HV model took a fun guitar and made it better visually AND sonically.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Yes. A friend had me turn my back and played a new Bedell then asked me what it was. It sounded a lot better than I imagined they would. I was shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 AM

The first SCGC guitar I played was a 000 12 fret. It absolutely blew me away. Way outside of my budget though

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Which one suprised you?

Eastman E-15ss prototype(LG body, adi/RW) and Martin 000-15m
Old 11-09-2014, 09:32 AM

All guitars I recently acquired were a pleasant surprise but this year the biggest surprise came when I mannaged to get my hands on a Santa Cruz OM ADI/BRW.
Never thought a guitar like that would pop up here in Holland and that I'd get a chance to own one. It gave me the oppertunity to compare various OM's in my posession and learn how different these instruments are.
They're all great and there's no clear winner, and I think that's the best lesson learned for me this year.

Ludwig
Old 11-09-2014, 09:33 AM

I got Osthoff 000 12 Fret Cedar/Madi in January. I expected a sweet sounding comfortable guitar with that 12 fret full sound and good low end. It's has all of that, but when you dig in, it's really powerful. I didn't expect that from a small body cedar guitar.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

The Waterloo surprised me....I expected quality and vintage vibe from them, but was surprised by the purity of tone and projection that little body puts out...and the GS Mini is awesome for what it is!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesyRob View Post
Definitely my Seagull. I get lost in the tone.
I'll second that. Certain guitars I've had - Martins, Gibsons, Larrivees, among others - I expected to be good if for nothing else but their reputations and price tags. But when I took a chance on a Seagull SWS (all-solid) Maritime Mini-Jumbo for around 600 bucks, I really didn't know what to expect. When it arrived, I was more than pleased. The quality of sound and great feel of this guitar still strike me after owning it for nearly three years, particularly if I don't play it for a few weeks. There's nothing fancy about the design; it's just a great-sounding, functional acoustic that I love to play. It even has a pickup, and although I don't use it that much, it's great for recording.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfanforever View Post
Yes, my Yamaha FG730S is just jaw-droppingly awesome, what a beautiful tone, a guitar that has some magic.
+1 to the FG-730S

I took a colleague shopping for his first guitar earlier this summer. Great guitar. Looking back, I never would have bought a Seagull S6 as my first guitar if I had known about this one at the time.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM

I continue to be impressed by the breedlove stage dreadnought. Everytime I go to gc I go to the high end room first and then on my way out I grad the breedlove. It puts a smile on my face every time. To match the quality of the sound I have to play a d18 or d35 or something in those price ranges. I'm not sure if rosewood just suits my ears or if it's just that particular breedlove or what. I need to buy that guitar though.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Chas View Post
I got Osthoff 000 12 Fret Cedar/Madi in January. I expected a sweet sounding comfortable guitar with that 12 fret full sound and good low end. It's has all of that, but when you dig in, it's really powerful. I didn't expect that from a small body cedar guitar.
If that is the one I am thinking of, I really had my eye on that guitar. I am glad you are enjoying it!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Greg Bennett.

I wanted a solid cedar top to explore playign guitar again, so kept myself under $400. Compared it to Lag, BL Passport, Tak, etc.

I was totally surprised what a wonderful guitar it was.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 AM

Not entirely acoustic but an Ibanez AF91 archtop was a very pleasant surprise. Big, resonant archtop jazz tones from a very inexpensive guitar. I played the Jet Blue 'burst version...sounded very nice unplugged too, even with flatwounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W90kBS3EOo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion