The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Default Vivi Guitar

Greeting everyone, my father in law is teaching me guitar and suggested I not try to learn on a xx.xx piece of junk.

So I got this used guitar on a chance its is something more than junk..it sounded good and looked good so I went with it. However, I get home and cannot find a single reference to it.

Its a Vivi with a tag inside that says "Handcrafted model v100". I know its not a Vivi-tone (too bad)

Anyone got an idea if its a good piece or value or anything? I got $xxx into it.

Thanks Geo

Pictures are here:
http://parocket.smugmug.com/Other/Vi...69941455_WQz2D

Last edited by rlouie; 01-21-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: no price discussion rule
Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parocket View Post
Greeting everyone, my father in law is teaching me guitar and suggested I not try to learn on a xx.xx piece of junk.

So I got this used guitar on a chance its is something more than junk..it sounded good and looked good so I went with it. However, I get home and cannot find a single reference to it.

Its a Vivi with a tag inside that says "Handcrafted model v100". I know its not a Vivi-tone (too bad)

Anyone got an idea if its a good piece or value or anything? I got $xxx into it.

Thanks Geo

Pictures are here:
http://parocket.smugmug.com/Other/Vi...69941455_WQz2D
Answer bolded.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM

That leads me to believe its not all the great of a guitar..since sometimes the no answer is the best answer.

well, its still better than my first shot..hopefully it will make me sound better than I am,

geo
Old 01-21-2010, 09:40 PM

Welcome to the forum.
I've never heard of a Vivi guitar; but there are people here who are a lot more knowledgeable about guitars than I. As SlopeD indicated, the most important thing is that you like the sound and find it comfortable to play. It looks to be in pretty good shape. Has the wood been finished on the inside too?

Have fun with it. Let us know if you find any more information about it.

Added later:

I did a quick Google search and this was all I could find:
http://www.retrofret.com/products.as...D=782385182010

It describes a line of experimental electric and acoustic electric guitars made in the 1930's called Vivi-Tone guitars.

Last edited by gray; 01-21-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 AM

For some reason I'm really intrigued by your guitar. I've done some more extensive searching, but haven't found anything more. Were you able to find any more information about it?

There are some vintage guitar forums on line. You might check there.

I hope you're enjoying it.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:14 AM

Don't sweat it. The vast majority of higher-end (or even medium range) guitar owners will keep their first one, or even buy an inexpensive guitar at some point to have a "knock around" with, and not worry. I'm a perfect example with my somewhere under 3-Franklins "Recording King."

Your Vivi looks like the typical Martin-style (D-35) look, and likely is laminate B/S...can't really tell if the top is solid or not. Face it: you're not likely to find solid wood all the way at a low price (unless Musician's Friend is having another "stupid sale" on Silver Creeks! ). If it sounds good and plays well, enjoy, and keep learning.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM

thanks for the input everyone. I hooked up with my father in law for a short lesson. I think he was more interested in the guitar than the lesson this week. He loved it but is baffeled as well. He is a Martin man who still have his first one from coming back from Veitnam plus a few more..mandolins etc.

He thought it played as good as one of his newer Martins which has not had time to "season" all he said is don't sell it.

thanks all. if I find any info I'll let everyone know

Geo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion