The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2016, 09:03 PM

Default Taylor 114, 214 and Martin Dread Jr. Thoughts?

I know it is annoying when people post random guitar models and ask which one is best so I am not gonna do that. Instead I am going to ask the membership to give your opinions, good or bad, on any of these that you have owned or currently own. Which do you own and how much play time does it get? I am purposely not providing anything about my budget, style of music played or anything else. I want your opinions on these guitars, not whether it suits me.

More to come!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:41 PM

The 114 and 214 are the same guitar essentially. Spruce top, Poplar back sides with a thin veneer of a different wood. Between the two, there is very little reason to pay more for the 200 series.

Either is still a fairly large guitar. Feels smaller than a dread due to the narrow waist when seated. I have a 314 which is one series higher. Good stage guitar. Overly bright when played unamplified.

The Dread Jr. is a Dreadnought shaped OM size guitar. Size wise it is the same as the Taylor "Big Baby". Warm and woody sounding. Not boomy like a full size dread. Short scale and very comfortable to play.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-26-2016, 01:30 AM

Had a 114 for sampling at home some months ago and thought it sounded terrible.

In process of construction:
0-12 (own build)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 AM

I had a 114 a couple of years ago, great guitar in my opinion. Smooth playability, big, well-defined sound projection - only reason I didn't keep it is that my shoulder really wanted a smaller, 000 sized guitar. Other than that, highly recommended.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

I had a 214ce. Really liked it but didn't play it as much as I thought I would. Don't need the cutaway or electronics. Sold it and got a 214 DLX which is beyond amazing!! She gets most of the playtime!!

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale
Old 10-26-2016, 06:47 AM

214e DLX owner here. I will admit that I passed on the 100 and standard 200 series for the deluxe for cosmetic purposes. It looks stunning and has really opened up in the last year and a half of owning it. I love how playable it is. I'm spending most of my time on my strat, so the thinner nut width is welcoming when I want to switch over to the Taylor.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:00 AM

Had the 114e for a time but didn't work for me. The guy I sold it to plays mainly fingerstyle and uses it as a backup / 2nd gigging guitar. There are guitars that I consider to be much better for the same sort of money. The Taylor did have decent resale value though.

The Martin Dread Jr is superior in every way other than the gig bag, in my opinion. I own guitars that cost less, I own guitars that cost more. The Dread Jr, however, is my favourite house / sofa guitar at the moment and the one that gets played the most.

Gazza
Old 10-26-2016, 07:03 AM

I have no attachment to the x14.
I find them to be too good. Very even from bass to treble.
I like a bit more bass. YMMV.
I omce played a brand new 814ce that had been beat down.
It was being sold at a discount due to the damage. But it sounded AMAZING.
But not overwhelming in volume.
But as has been said the 214 is the same guitar as the 114...with a prettier finish. So, that's a ear and wallet call.
Because I'm partial to dreads, I would to some degree lean toward the Martin.
However, I've only seen one and it was completely forgettable.
Not that it wasn't a good instrument, I just don't remember anything about it.
I remember every great guitar I play, so it may have been very good, but not remarkable.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-26-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
The 114 and 214 are the same guitar essentially. Spruce top, Poplar back sides with a thin veneer of a different wood. Between the two, there is very little reason to pay more for the 200 series.

Either is still a fairly large guitar. Feels smaller than a dread due to the narrow waist when seated. I have a 314 which is one series higher. Good stage guitar. Overly bright when played unamplified.

The Dread Jr. is a Dreadnought shaped OM size guitar. Size wise it is the same as the Taylor "Big Baby". Warm and woody sounding. Not boomy like a full size dread. Short scale and very comfortable to play.
That's a pretty good characterization of the 114 except mine has gotten warmer with use and some different strings.
The 114 is easy to play and has good projection. I play mine quite a bit and I have another acoustic, completely different sounding and more expensive which I also enjoy.
I have played the Martin Dread Jr. and it's fun. Both guitars are great in a different way.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 10-26-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post

I agree with one small caveat. The 214ce deluxe is an arguably worthy upgrade. They use better tops on these models and they evidently use rosewood veneer on the inside. I can hear some difference when I compare the deluxe and the standard. At one point, I believe they were also doing the relief route on the top. Not sure if they are still doing it this way.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:45 AM

I liked the 114 but ended up with a 214dlx. Tried the Martin Jr, didn't like it at all, had a big baby got rid of it. Very happy with the 214. R
Old 10-26-2016, 08:51 AM

Arrow

I like them all although I'm not a Martin fan. The Taylors will be easier to play due to a comfy neck. All of the models you listed will make great, couch/beater guitars.

P.S. People always complain about Taylors being too bright, but that's actually a good thing if you're playing with others and need to cut through.

Price wise the 214 is in the ~ $1000 category and for that price I strongly recommend getting a used 314, or a 414.
Bedell TB 18G
Bedell TB 28 G 12 string
Bedell Performance Plus JB-52-12-G
Eastman AC 420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion