The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2016, 03:26 PM

Default Martin Warranty

I just dropped off my D28 Authentic to try and get the fret buzz eliminated. They improved it a bit while I took the tour, but it's still not right. It's almost 4 hours from my house one way, so it took the better part of the day.

No truss rod. Here's the interesting part: they said it usually takes about 6 months! There are 500 employees there, but obviously not very many in the repair department.

Makes you wonder what the warranty is really worth.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-24-2016, 03:31 PM

That's why they have authorized repair shops. Martin reimburses the shops for the work performed under warranty. Turnaround should be much, much quicker.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
That's why they have authorized repair shops. Martin reimburses the shops for the work performed under warranty. Turnaround should be much, much quicker.
Yep. Had a bridge replaced under warranty on a D-28. Authorized repair guy worked directly with Martin and had the guitar back to me in three weeks...only reason it took that long is Martin had to send him the new bridge.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
I started with the authorized repair shop - one of their best, Steve Kovacik - and he leveled the frets, but that didn't fix the problem. He suggested taking it to Martin. His other alternative was to raise the action, which was a non-starter for me.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I started with the authorized repair shop - one of their best, Steve Kovacik - and he leveled the frets, but that didn't fix the problem. He suggested taking it to Martin. His other alternative was to raise the action, which was a non-starter for me.
Bummer. Never had anything that serious with a Martin. Hope you get it back sooner than they are saying...

Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 PM

To what do you attribute the buzzing? If the action is too low - it will buzz.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:31 PM

Did you play it before you bought it or was it ordered from some shop at the absolute best price? Sorry that it may take more than an hour or two or some suggestions are not to your liking, but I'm not sure Martin is at fault.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:30 AM

No truss rod? I thought they used a T-bar non-adjustable truss rod.

I am without a doubt a Martin fan, but I have to agree that they should address their warranty turnaround time. I have actually been discouraged over the phone from sending a guitar in for warranty work by Martin, with them stating that they are so backed up that they suggest that I have the work done elsewhere. The last time that I took a Martin to an authorized Martin repair shop, the pickguard was installed cockeyed and my high gloss finish was scratched up. So one day I took a road trip to the factory, and to their credit, they repaired the guitar while I took the factory tour. I had no appointment, I just walked in off of the street and they took care of me. I was very impressed with their service that day, but I really feel that Martin should try to improve their service time when a guitar is sent in for work.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:31 AM

Default Martin repair

In my opinion, Steve Kovacik does repairs at least as good as the factory can, better perhaps for some things. He did a neck reset for me that far outshone the resets Martin did twice in previous years. If he was unable to help you, then I am at a loss to give a better suggestion.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:45 AM

6 months is ridiculous. Like others mentioned, I would go to a nearby authorized Martin repair person.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:06 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindChaser View Post
6 months is ridiculous. Like others mentioned, I would go to a nearby authorized Martin repair person.
I agree that 6 months is a long time, but that's what Martin factory warranty work takes. It may not be ideal, but it is what it is.

I also agree that local repair is preferable when a good local authorized repairman is available. All authorized repairman are not equal. They can all do simple work, but not all of them can do everything to my satisfaction. (BTW, you have a very fine local repairman just south of Indy, but not everyone is so fortunate.) All that said, the OP has already taken his to Steve Kovacik who recommended he take it to the factory. Steve is a fine repairman and I wouldn't begin to second guess him, especially after he's had the guitar in hand.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
If I'm reading correctly between the lines here, knowing as I do that Steve is an excellent repairman, you have unrealistic expectations about action height and there is nothing wrong with your guitar. There is nothing Martin's repair shop can do for your guitar that Steve cannot do. If he said to take it to Martin without telling you what it is that they can fix that he cannot, and after you refused to let him raise the action, he was politely trying to get rid of you.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 10-25-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Hmm, you might not get any better news from Martin. Has the action been lowered since you got it new?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
No truss rod? I thought they used a T-bar non-adjustable truss rod.

I am without a doubt a Martin fan, but I have to agree that they should address their warranty turnaround time. I have actually been discouraged over the phone from sending a guitar in for warranty work by Martin, with them stating that they are so backed up that they suggest that I have the work done elsewhere. The last time that I took a Martin to an authorized Martin repair shop, the pickguard was installed cockeyed and my high gloss finish was scratched up. So one day I took a road trip to the factory, and to their credit, they repaired the guitar while I took the factory tour. I had no appointment, I just walked in off of the street and they took care of me. I was very impressed with their service that day, but I really feel that Martin should try to improve their service time when a guitar is sent in for work.
Authentic models are made the same way as the guitars were made back in the day they are modeled after. Therefore no truss rod. I would consider it a concern if I were to buy an Authentic.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:14 PM

Guys, there most certainly are truss rods on Authentics (except the 000-28K Authentic). They just are not adjustable. The T-Bar truss rods are supposed to be very very rigid. Keep in mind the truss rod is used to adjust neck relief and not for string height (action).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion