The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 AM

Default Anyone ever use Straight Up Strings?

I read about them in Bluegrass Today's website,

Straight Up Strings
for Guitar, Banjo & Mandolin

Engineered with compensated torque loads and down pressure for optimum balance.
… every note of every chord

Roger Siminoff’s study of the longitudinal tensions and lateral loads of musical strings has been a special area of interest for more than three decades.

Although the concepts are similar, we distinguish between fixed-bridge instruments (guitar) and moveable-bridge instruments (banjo and mandolin). Our guitar strings are engineered with compensated torque loads (moment of force at the bridge) and our banjo and mandolin strings are a result of measuring and compensating for down pressure of strings at the bridge.

Straight Up Strings for Guitar – Now Available!

www.siminoff.net/straight-up-strings

A major breakthrough in string technology, Straight up Strings for Guitar provide excellent string-to-string balance because they are designed to compensate for the force required to move the inner strings of the bridge versus outer strings, as the instrument is played.

• Final gauges are the result of determining desired torque load (in inch pounds), and then specifying gauges and core-to-wrap ratios to achieve the proper torque NOT by starting with common gauges and calculating torque. The result is a classic bell curve.

As a final step, we’ve applied ISO: 226-2003 equal-loudness principles to further enhance the perception of an evenly distributed tonal range, as a result of how the human ear and brain perceive sound.

Snark Tuner
Old 10-24-2016, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

I tried them on my J50. I still have a set. They dont last very long. They sounded decent for about three weeks. These are the "Santa Cruz" strings right?

Let me know what you think. Like I said I still have a set, and I almost forgot what the last set sounded like. I only know that they didnt impress me enough to leave on the guitar very long.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:10 AM

i have them on my j-29 and like them a lot. planning to keep them in the rotation.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:36 AM

Guit - Do a search here on AGF - they have been discussed many times before. At one point, Roger Siminoff, their developer was giving us his thoughts.

According to Richard Hoover and Roger Siminoff, the SUS and SCGC strings are very similar, but not identical.

Rick
Old 10-24-2016, 05:40 AM

SCGC thread - http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=394087
SUS thread - http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...06222-p-2.html
Old 10-24-2016, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
These are the "Santa Cruz" strings right?
I don't think so. I just tried a set of Straight Up strings and took them off in a day or so. They didn't remind me of the SC strings at all. They seemed really light though the said gauges were thicker than what I usually use. They sounded like other strings but the floppiness was my problem with them. The SC strings I tried awhile back seemed thicker than my usual brand, they don't gauge theirs. They were really loud and articulate with overtones. I have ordered a couple of sets to try again. This is just my experience as I remember it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-24-2016, 06:51 AM

I've read a lot by Roger Siminoff over the years. He uses a scientific approach to lutherie. I was eager to try his straight up strings on my main mandolin when they first came out a while ago. Not bad strings, but I prefer the sound of J74's on my mando, so I went right back to them. I have not tried the straight ups on anything else I play.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:43 PM

Default Thread veer

Thread title reminded me of Nashville Straights. Anybody else remember them? We sold them in the shop I taught at in the 70s, but I never tried them. If you don't remember them, they came, as the name implies, straight. I don't remember if they were in a tube or just some sort of long plastic envelope.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:48 AM

The straight up strings are different than the Santa Cruz strings, see they both have been tried here
Thanks
Jim

Snark Tuner
Old 10-25-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
Thread title reminded me of Nashville Straights. Anybody else remember them? We sold them in the shop I taught at in the 70s, but I never tried them. If you don't remember them, they came, as the name implies, straight. I don't remember if they were in a tube or just some sort of long plastic envelope.
Brad
I've used them for a while, they were goldplated and lasted longer then usual but they were also more expensive then the regular PB's I used back then. In the end I had to abandon them for economic reasons not for how they sounded. The straight elongated goldcoloured cardboard packaging may well have helped improve their sound, next to the goldplating. I loved the coloured ball ends as well, today not uncommon on other brands. The fact I clearly remember them after 35 years has some meaning I think. I was a big fan of Nashville Straights and they can print that on my T-Shirt.

Ludwig

Last edited by Von Beerhofen; 10-25-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
Thread title reminded me of Nashville Straights. Anybody else remember them? ..... I don't remember if they were in a tube or just some sort of long plastic envelope.
Brad
I used to buy those and they came in a long rectangular box. I liked them back in the day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar strings