The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2016, 05:55 AM

Default Martin String Length

I have noticed my 1998 HD-28 and my new D-42 have slightly different string lengths. The distance to the saddle is about 1/16th" more on the D-42. Both guitars seem to be intonated okay. I am curious about this.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:58 AM

What are you measuring? Tuner to bridge pin?
Old 10-23-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
What are you measuring? Tuner to bridge pin?
No, nut to saddle.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:39 AM

As far as I know, both guitars should have a 25.4" (~ 25-13/32") scale length.

Might be hard to accurately measure with something like a tape measure that isn't totally rigid.

Out of curiousity, do either of the 2 match the advertised spec?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 AM

Well, scale length is edge of nut to the middle of the 12th fret x 2.

Does one have a compensated saddle and the other not?
Old 10-23-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpl man View Post
As far as I know, both guitars should have a 25.4" (~ 25-13/32") scale length.

Might be hard to accurately measure with something like a tape measure that isn't totally rigid.

Out of curiousity, do either of the 2 match the advertised spec?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
Well, scale length is edge of nut to the middle of the 12th fret x 2.

Does one have a compensated saddle and the other not?
I am using a rigid aluminum ruler, the 1998 HD-28 is 1/16" shorter from nut to saddle than the new D-42. Ironically the older HD-28 didn't come with a compensated saddle but now has one. The D-42 came with a compensated saddle but I changed it to uncompensated unbleached bone. Could this be a clue?
Old 10-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I am using a rigid aluminum ruler, the 1998 HD-28 is 1/16" shorter from nut to saddle than the new D-42. Ironically the older HD-28 didn't come with a compensated saddle but now has one. The D-42 came with a compensated saddle but I changed it to uncompensated unbleached bone. Could this be a clue?
Don't measure from the nut to the saddle. Measure from the nut to the center of the 12th fret (the fret itself, not the space behind where you'd put your finger). Take that number and multiply it by two and that's your scale length.

A lot of info here, although he doesn't get to Martins until the end.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-23-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Don't measure from the nut to the saddle. Measure from the nut to the center of the 12th fret (the fret itself, not the space behind where you'd put your finger). Take that number and multiply it by two and that's your scale length.

A lot of info here, although he doesn't get to Martins until the end.
I understand how to measure, and there seems to be different ways to do it. What my point is that 2 Martin guitars have different lengths. Doesn't really matter what those lengths are, just that one is 1/16" longer. That is the mystery.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:32 AM

Years ago Martin reportedly hired a physicist who told them the "ideal" position of the saddle and bridge. However, it wasn't because strings are not ideal. There are bending issues and other things to actually consider. The correct placement is a bit further away than the mathematical ideal.

My 1990 custom shop J-40 always had intonation issues. When it came time for a neck reset, the repair luthier found that the saddle was 1.5 mm too close to the sound hole and nut (among other significant build issues). When he popped the bridge off and put it in the correct spot, suddenly the intonation was wonderful -- even with lowered tunings.

Your 1998 model might fall into that period, but your new D42 clearly does not. I believe they Plek the fingerboard now, which means they also have to put the bridge and saddle into the right place.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
That is the mystery.
Follow the advice given so far in this thread and you will resolve the mystery. Start by determining the actual scale length of each instrument. Once you know that, the mystery will unravel.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Years ago Martin reportedly hired a physicist who told them the "ideal" position of the saddle and bridge. However, it wasn't because strings are not ideal. There are bending issues and other things to actually consider. The correct placement is a bit further away than the mathematical ideal.

My 1990 custom shop J-40 always had intonation issues. When it came time for a neck reset, the repair luthier found that the saddle was 1.5 mm too close to the sound hole and nut (among other significant build issues). When he popped the bridge off and put it in the correct spot, suddenly the intonation was wonderful -- even with lowered tunings.

Your 1998 model might fall into that period, but your new D42 clearly does not. I believe they Plek the fingerboard now, which means they also have to put the bridge and saddle into the right place.
Yes, I wondered if the new D-42 is the one with the more accurate position, it is 1/16" longer. It also has the most strings that are closest to being intonated right on, actually all strings but the 2 E's are right on. The small E wants to move towards the neck and the low E wants to go away from the neck. So it seems this is a good balance and compromise. The 1998 HD-28 has good intonation too, but it is a bit more inconsistent.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Follow the advice given so far in this thread and you will resolve the mystery. Start by determining the actual scale length of each instrument. Once you know that, the mystery will unravel.
The scale length of each Martin is the same: 25.4". It is the measured string length difference that is the mystery.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:01 AM

Just play them already......
Old 10-23-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
Just play them already......
I have been, but thanks for the tip.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I understand how to measure, and there seems to be different ways to do it. What my point is that 2 Martin guitars have different lengths. Doesn't really matter what those lengths are, just that one is 1/16" longer. That is the mystery.
I was going by what you said, "I am using a rigid aluminum ruler, the 1998 HD-28 is 1/16" shorter from nut to saddle than the new D-42."
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion