The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

I'll start by saying I hope the OP gets either the guitar mentioning in post 1, or another Dread that they love, at a great price.

That said, I'll point out that the first post in this thread provides a very strong argument for that guitar NOT being discounted any further. If it is that good, isn't it worth what they are asking for it?

Almost every single post on this forum promotes the philosophy that acoustic guitars are not commodities, and that the quality and value of each instrument should be determined individually. However, it's funny how that philosophy magically disappears when we are looking to buy a guitar we judge to be great.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I bought mine at GC and got the 15% scratch and dent discount. All the scratches buffed out, btw.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-04-2016, 09:06 AM

I would totally agree with the above post . Although they a brilliant guitars they do not all sound and play the same - try before you buy if you have found the one , haggle or accept the cost of a really good guitar for life
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-04-2016, 09:24 AM

Default 2016 j-45 no discounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
No guarantees that the J45 from these places will sound as good as the one in hand, but these guys will discount, and will ship free, no tax .

EM Shorts

Wildwood Guitars in Colorado

Chicago music exchange

Fuller's in Houston.

I just ordered a 2017 J45 custom from EM Shorts. Call them and ask for Lance. The price was very,very good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 09-04-2016, 09:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Relic View Post
I would totally agree with the above post . Although they a brilliant guitars they do not all sound and play the same - try before you buy if you have found the one , haggle or accept the cost of a really good guitar for life
How much of a discount would you require to buy it? $50? $100? Several years ago, I played a great J45 and really wanted it, but wasn't in a position to buy it. Later on I did buy a different one, but it never "spoke to me" like that previous one, and I eventually sold it. To me, if you found a great J45, buy the thing. You might regret passing on it just to save a few bucks.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:16 AM

Sweet water, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, etc., can afford to sell below MAP because they sell many guitars every day - most likely more than one Gibson acoustic per day. They make up the lower profit per unit in volume - five fast pennies versus one slow nickel. Some other local shops have made their name in selling over the internet/phone at below MAP - EM Shorts is one well known example, and they provide EXCELLENT service.

Your local shop doesn't have the luxury of selling multiple guitars per day - there may be many days in a row where the only thing that moves is a few packs of strings, picks, or other parts - no guitars. The point is they need to sell the guitars at as high a price as they can get, because they may not sell another one this week or even this month.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:51 PM

never haggle over items of magical importance
Old 09-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
If it's head and shoulders above anything you've heard then you should expect to pay a premium for it rather than hassle the store owner. If I knew the guitar would shift fast and is worth a premium I would not budge either.
If it sounds that good grab it before it's gone.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:36 PM

Many great advice posts herein. Buy it already. Anyone who says they would buy any guitar sight unseen over a bona fide fantastic guitar in hand for a few bucks more, will likely never have a premier guitar. A fantastic J-45 is worth every penny.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Guest2145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I just ordered a 2017 J45 custom from EM Shorts. Call them and ask for Lance. The price was very,very good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Another thumbs up for EM Shorts from me. Not only do they have the best prices from any of the other retailers mentioned in this thread, they're really nice people. Call them and ask them about their J-45s. Trust me, if it's not a stellar sounding one, they'll tell you.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:16 PM

It's just a J45. Stick to your guns. Eventually you'll find one at the price you want to pay. Then it will be more special to you because sometimes the hunt is as important as the trophy.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:57 PM

Smile

I got a 2016 J45 Vintage which I chose from three dealers that actually had the guitar. The smaller shop gave me a small break but you have to be ok paying a little more if it's the right one. Play them all!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz-s View Post
Sweet water, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, etc., can afford to sell below MAP because they sell many guitars every day - most likely more than one Gibson acoustic per day. They make up the lower profit per unit in volume - five fast pennies versus one slow nickel. Some other local shops have made their name in selling over the internet/phone at below MAP - EM Shorts is one well known example, and they provide EXCELLENT service.

Your local shop doesn't have the luxury of selling multiple guitars per day - there may be many days in a row where the only thing that moves is a few packs of strings, picks, or other parts - no guitars. The point is they need to sell the guitars at as high a price as they can get, because they may not sell another one this week or even this month.
The OP did mention that this was a chain he is dealing with.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:04 AM

I read this quote on this forum a few weeks back:

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."

You will enjoy that guitar long after your finances have closed the gap on a couple hundred bucks.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 09-05-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
The OP did mention that this was a chain he is dealing with.
Even within a chain, some shops are less likely to bargain than others. I know my local Sam Ash doesn't move off sticker on new gear, but Guitar Center is happy to with a 10-15% off discount if you ask (as long as you're spending more than say $500).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion