The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2016, 01:38 AM

Angry 2016 j-45 no discounts?

Ok so i was looking to pick up a Martin perhaps d-18 or d-28 when I ran across a new 2016 gibson J-45 that just grabbed me. I compared it against so many others in the last week and it still sounds head and shoulders above the rest. When I tried to swing a deal with the shop they would not even flinch a dime on the price. Even though this 2016 guitar is already $400-500 more than last years model and even more expensive than a 2015 custom at a another one of the same chains stores. I will try again perhaps the manager can swing a couple bucks off. It just kinda rubs me the wrong way to pay full retail for ...ANYTHING! sorry for rant.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:52 AM

If the guitar is that good and your happy isn't it a price worth paying . I have never regretted buying my 2015 J45 . Discounts don't always come in the form of money you could try for strings , effects etc I've even seen an amp given as part of a deal instead of money !! Oh and I feel the same as you re the retail price I always try for a discount
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-04-2016, 02:42 AM

I had the same experience, some weeks ago. I hesitated for as long as possible, trying to squeeze out a good deal at several stores. Did not happen. Ordered one online, full retail. My wallet took a big hit, but my oh my am I happy I pulled the trigger. I've played the J-45 Std. 2016 everyday since.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:14 AM

If it's head and shoulders above anything you've heard then you should expect to pay a premium for it rather than hassle the store owner. If I knew the guitar would shift fast and is worth a premium I would not budge either.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 09-04-2016, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

No guarantees that the J45 from these places will sound as good as the one in hand, but these guys will discount, and will ship free, no tax .

EM Shorts
Wildwood Guitars in Colorado
Chicago music exchange
Fuller's in Houston.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:28 AM

I will try again perhaps the manager can swing a couple bucks off.

I wouldn't hassle him - the man knows his margins...I would hunt around online...deals turn up with patience...

make him an offer....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252446254225

Last edited by bitraker; 09-04-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:59 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Edited . . . . .

Last edited by Guest316; 09-04-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Post being responded to has been deleted
Old 09-04-2016, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Edited . . . . .

Last edited by Guest316; 09-04-2016 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Post being responded to has been deleted
Old 09-04-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
No guarantees that the J45 from these places will sound as good as the one in hand, but these guys will discount, and will ship free, no tax .

EM Shorts
Wildwood Guitars in Colorado
Chicago music exchange
Fuller's in Houston.
dave's guitar in wisconsin is on this list, too

i've purchased Gs from WW and dave's
Old 09-04-2016, 07:42 AM

Yeah that stinks. Maybe the guitar hasn't sat there long and they know how good it sounds...and know if you don't pay retail someone else will after hearing it. Good luck. I don't like paying sticker price too.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjudoman View Post
Ok so i was looking to pick up a Martin perhaps d-18 or d-28 when I ran across a new 2016 gibson J-45 that just grabbed me. I compared it against so many others in the last week and it still sounds head and shoulders above the rest. When I tried to swing a deal with the shop they would not even flinch a dime on the price. Even though this 2016 guitar is already $400-500 more than last years model and even more expensive than a 2015 custom at a another one of the same chains stores. I will try again perhaps the manager can swing a couple bucks off. It just kinda rubs me the wrong way to pay full retail for ...ANYTHING! sorry for rant.
Not a rant at all. You are being principled and disciplined, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's not a chance in hell I'd ever pay full retail for any guitar -- not ever. Plenty of fish in the sea. It's not a vintage piece or anything. I'd move along and try to find an alternative, personally.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-04-2016, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A 2016 Gibson J-45 is $3120 RETAIL price or $2399 MAP price. I'm assuming you're referring to MAP price when stating what the dealer wants for it? Some shops that charge MAP price won't budge, much if anything at all, on that price, especially if their policy includes an initial setup and lifetime adjustments for the original buyer. IMHO, if the guitar is really what you want, MAP price isn't so bad a price to pay for it.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-04-2016, 08:11 AM

I Just bought a 2017 J-45 from Chicago Music Exchange for a good price. I went to the store itself on north side of Chicago. Hopefully they will do the same by just calling them. Worth a try. They were very easy to deal with. Super friendly and helpful staff.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The retailer should have been able to give you a 10-15% discount below the $2399 list price. But getting that discount is never a guarantee. A local retailer would be stupid not to do it. You could point out to the them that Sweetwater will gladly sell you a J-45 for much less (I believe the quote I got on a 2016 J-45 was $2039, no sales tax, free 2nd day shipping). Your local retailer can't eliminate sales tax (so you will pay more local), but they can and almost always will price patch on-line retailers. They have to give you some incentive.

A few other tings to note about Gibson-

Unlike Martin, Taylor and other popular high-end brands, Gibson eliminated the gap between MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) and the MAP (Manufacturers minimum allowed advertised) price. With guitars in the US, sales traditionally have been similar to new auto sales. The retailers sign an agreement with the distributors stating they will not advertise below a certain dollar amount. But the price structure is fixed to allow the consumer to feel like they are getting an amazing deal. The Martin D28 has an MSRP of $3299 a MAP of $2629 and an Street price of $2200-$2350. Retailers LOVE this structure, because it enables them to do what Guitar Center is doing right now on their labor day "sale". They list thousands of items in the store as being on sale when in reality the items just have their everyday MSRP to MAP discount listed. Guitar Center knows these are every day prices they are advertising as part of a special event. It's a common marketing ploy, but that's just how business works so we look past it.

Gibson doesn't play this game. With Gibson with MSRP they list on their website is also the MAP. They upset some retailers when they implemented this.... It's not a bad thing in my view, it's Gibson trying to put an end to a ridiculous system that's been in place. Gibson did raise the price on the J-45 in 2016, but all guitar manufactures raise their prices routinely and it's usually a more noticeable increase with acoustics because of the increasing cost not only in general inflation but the increased cost in exotic hardwoods.

My suggestion is to buy a slightly used J-45 for excellent condition and get a pro-setup. Used J-45's go for $1599-$1799.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 09-04-2016, 08:38 AM

Only advice I have is don't count on the one you buy online at a cheaper price sounding and playing the same. Guitars are very subjective and we all like what we like. If I played one that after extensive demo against other guitars on different days still stood out yeah I'd try to get a discount, but if not possible would pay what they wanted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion