The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Default Busted out the fret leveling stone

I have been totally digging the Bedell MB-17-G I purchased during the summer blowout (cedar sapele auditorium style). Over the past few weeks, as the air has gotten more dry, it started developing a buzz at the 14th fret (the dreaded neck block hump). I thought about bringing it to my favorite luthier, but decided to take a crack at it myself.

I learned to build guitars as a teen, and have kept many of my hand tools even though it has been decades since building. So I pulled out the fret leveling stone and fret file I purchased from Gurian Guitars in the late 70's and gave it a go.

I didn't go hog-wild, because the neck will settle out with proper humidification. But a few carefully placed swipes of the stone and a little crowning work with the file and the buzz was tamed.

I'm not sure I would have tried this on a more expensive guitar, but the low price of the Bedell emboldened me. Very pleased with the results!
Bedell TBA-24-G
Bedell TBCE-18-G
Gurian S3M (1978)
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass
Old 12-24-2014, 01:02 PM

My experience is that just about every guitar, expensive or not, can benefit from the fret level and crown 6-12 months after leaving the factory.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion