The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Default The rattle in my new D-18: kind of cool, actually

So I changed the strings on the new D-18 to elixir nanowebs, which sound and feel great. I wasn't nuts about the stock lifespans, and have some bluegrass weight strings from DR and elixir on the way, though I did not notice any reduction in low end with the 12/54s. I love changing strings. It gives you a chance to examine and bond with the guitar. To wipe it down, peer into the sound hole and get acquainted.

As I was doing this, I heard a ratting noise coming from inside the body. There are no electronics on this Martin, and I haven't yet dropped a pick inside. So I turned the guitar over and gently shook. Small crumb like particles began falling out. Once they were all out, I carefully examined them. They were fragrant wood particles left over from the manufacturing process. This struck me as pretty cool. It reinforces the notion that these are made by hand. Once they all fell out, shaking the guitar made no noise, which was welcome after my OMCPA4, which had wires that always rattled around.

I finished up by stringing up the Nanos. I used the Taylor method, which I prefer because I find it easier to get consistent results and nice symmetrical winds. I'm expecting a call from CFM & Co. asking what the heck I think I'm doing.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 11-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Wildgift on your new guitar.

Yeah--that's a cool discovery. When I bought my Gurian new in 75 or so, I remember shaking it and finding a bunch of shavings--from the braces. (Apparently the last thing that was done in the Gurian shop was a quick tap test.)

It reminds us that the folks who really know what they're doing still have a lot of hand work that is part of the process. The folks in Pennsylvania have a bit of experience by now.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion