The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Default Fishman Aura Spectrum DI & Guild D-55

Hi Savvy players,
I've been playing a wonderful sounding/playing Guild D-55 (LR Baags pick-up) through a Digitech Vocalist 4 and while very happy with the overall sound, I was in need of more output.

So I bought an Aura Spectrum DI and so far, am not satisfied with the results. If you're using a similar set-up and have managed to find a great "Image" I'm all ears.
I'm thinking of returning it and looking at an LR Baggs Venue or ....?
Any experienced opinion welcomed.
Thanks a bunch!
A
Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 PM

The free Aura Image Gallery has image sets that should be very close to your guitar - namely the DV-52 (4 images) and the F-50R (6 images). Of course, those images are designed to work specifically with the Fishman UST and not the LR Baggs. So if you want to come closest to the tone of your guitar through various mics, I would try the Fishman UST and one of the above Guild images.

BTW, I have owned (and still own!) a 1973 Guild D-55 since new and I have owned both the DV-52 and the F-50R and I can attest to how similar the tone is among those three Rosewood/Spruce big-bodied Guilds! In fact, that is why I have kept only the D-55, because the other two were sonic overlaps...

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...
Old 06-03-2014, 05:47 PM

I should also mention that I use a Fishman Aura Ellipse with my Taylor 814c. I have loaded the Aura with the images specific to that guitar and it really is pretty remarkable how close it comes to the sound of the guitar into a microphone. The images they have available for that guitar are the following mics:

-DPA 4011
-Shure SM-57
-Neumann U87
-Neumann KM84

I use SM-57's to mic. guitars live and I find the Aura SM-57 image for the 814c is more than satisfactory!

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion