The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2013, 06:43 PM

Default epiphone ej-200 dilemma

I have always liked the Gibson sj-200, those are way out of my price range so I am going to get the epiphone equivalent, but im a bit stuck for what to do.
Epiphone stopped making the normal ej-200 in 2011, they now just make the ej-200 ce, im unsure what to do because I am not a big fan of cut aways, but I would like a guitar to have electronics and I would like a new guitar.
What do you think, should I get a new ej-200ce and get used to the cut away (I guess it's not too bad, im probably just seeking the originality of the sj-200 without the cut away)

Or get a used ej-200 from eBay, some of the older ej-200s have solid spruce tops which tempts me, but then others say the laminate top on the new ones is very good and comparable to solid topped guitars.

What im basically asking is, what is your opinion between the epiphone ej-200 and the epiphone ej-200ce?
Thanks

Alex Kirtley, UK
Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 PM

Like you, I'm not a major fan of cutaways. Nothing wrong with them, just not what usually appeals to me. That said, the cutaway doesn't lose any sound compared to the full-bodied. It more of an appearance thing for me......What I would do is get the one you want, whatever it might be. Then, keep it and start saving your money until you can get a Gibson Super Jumbo (used). There are some real gems out there for a decent price. We read all kind of threads where someone wants the closest thing to a J200/HD28/816 for under $1000 or so. The best advice I can give is play what you've got for now and save your money until you can get the real thing. These "top shelf" instruments are worth the wait...Good luck!

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM

Yep...

I honestly don't know much about these. I do know the country singer-songwriter Jamey Johnson gigs with an Epi ej-200 a lot.

If you want the Gibson, by all means, save money or get a loan or whatever. Go after the Gibson.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:32 PM

the ej200ce is made with a Solid Spruce top with select maple, back and sides no more laminate the maple makes it brighter but is still a very nice all around guitar. I played one at the local dealer and the tone was nice and the neck was fast yet comfortable it will be next toy no doubt
S.S.Stewart Archtop
The Loar LM 520 VS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion