The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 AM
BanGuest23456

Default Brand new player, love my mini

Just bought a GS mini mahogany this past Friday, started working on it the next day and have been practicising 2-2.5 hours per day as long as my fingers can handle it. Right now they are tingling when I type this, but I hope I get past this in the next few days/weeks.

I HIGHLY recommend Justin's guitar course, it is truly superbly presented and very detailed. Every question I've thought of is addressed there, and you can message him with any others on his site.

TBH, at first wanted I wanted to pull my hair out as your fingers have to be so, so precise on the frets to not have your notes buzz/get muted, but now I know the Big 3 chords - A, D, and E, and can move between them quickly, maybe not perfectly, but acceptably.

This is one of the things I've had to embrace; when you are playing a sport at a high level, you seek absolute perfection - but when playing an instrument, 90-95% is sufficient. This is because EVERY musician misstrikes piano notes or buzzes their guitar notes, if you listen carefully enough in a live performance it happens, maybe not a lot, but it still does.

That said, I can see this being a long journey, where you progress quickly early on, and have to work hard at times to push through to get past an obstacle/ceiling, but it will be a fun journey as I am already proud of what little I've accomplished so far.

I blame all of you for not introducing me to this fantastic instrument 40 years ago; had I started then I'd have been the next Eric Clapton.

Nile Rodgers, watch your back...
Old 10-25-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
Just bought a GS mini mahogany this past Friday, started working on it the next day and have been practicising 2-2.5 hours per day as long as my fingers can handle it. Right now they are tingling when I type this, but I hope I get past this in the next few days/weeks.

I HIGHLY recommend Justin's guitar course, it is truly superbly presented and very detailed. Every question I've thought of is addressed there, and you can message him with any others on his site.

TBH, at first wanted I wanted to pull my hair out as your fingers have to be so, so precise on the frets to not have your notes buzz/get muted, but now I know the Big 3 chords - A, D, and E, and can move between them quickly, maybe not perfectly, but acceptably.

This is one of the things I've had to embrace; when you are playing a sport at a high level, you seek absolute perfection - but when playing an instrument, 90-95% is sufficient. This is because EVERY musician misstrikes piano notes or buzzes their guitar notes, if you listen carefully enough in a live performance it happens, maybe not a lot, but it still does.

That said, I can see this being a long journey, where you progress quickly early on, and have to work hard at times to push through to get past an obstacle/ceiling, but it will be a fun journey as I am already proud of what little I've accomplished so far.

I blame all of you for not introducing me to this fantastic instrument 40 years ago; had I started then I'd have been the next Eric Clapton.

Nile Rodgers, watch your back...
This was me about 5 years ago. The mini is great but it will go, and you'll end up with GAS
Old 10-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I like the Mini hogs. I think you'll enjoy that guitar.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
This is one of the things I've had to embrace; when you are playing a sport at a high level, you seek absolute perfection - but when playing an instrument, 90-95% is sufficient.
Wrong! We too seek absolute perfection - it's just that we seldom achieve it!

Loving your enthusiasm - keep that up and you'll get there, for sure.

Welcome to the forum.
1998 Takamine PT-508
1983 Ibanez V320
2011 Martin LX1
Old 10-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I knew I should picked spiderman as my forum name, rats.

JK, welcome to the forum Captain. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 AM

Go man, go!

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 10-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF and congratulations on the GSMini. Lots of owners here and we love them.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:33 PM

The gs minis are great guitars. They're comfortable and fun to play. Nice choice!
Old 10-25-2016, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Love the Mini....So many tunes, so little time....
Old 10-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

I have over a dozen guitars - all of them more expensive than the Mini. The Mini gets the most playing time. It's hard to beat in terms of comfort and quality. Great choice. My Guess is that you will keep it even after you get the urge for another guitar . . . or maybe you'll be starting one of the "tales of regret" threads if you sell it. Anyway, welcome to the AGF!

PS +1 on Justin's guitar course. I recommend him to all the young people who get one of my guitars.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard - the GSmini is a nice guitar and should serve you well. As far as working towards perfection or nearly so, I have found that if you play something perfectly, people start to expect that all the time - that is a lot of pressure... I intentionally put in a little flub, finger buzz, or wrong note in each song... you know, just to see if a listener can find it. Yeah, that's why I do it.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the long and winding road of acoustic guitar.
The GS Mini is a fine guitar.

Enjoy the journey!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 10-25-2016, 11:23 PM

Welcome to the greatest hobby in the world.

Rock on completely.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 10-26-2016, 05:46 PM

Welcome!

I am exactly one year ahead of you. My enthusiasm is even greater now than when I started. I went through Justin's beginner course, and purchased a couple of his songbooks. Great intro for a beginner!

Enjoy the journey!

Taylor 812ce 2016
Yamaha FS-730

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion