The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2016, 10:02 AM

Default Arm Bevel vs Arm Rest

As I write this I don't have a beveled guitar OR an arm rest so I'm shooting blind.
My question is:
Do these two things actually serve the same purpose? It seems to me that with a bevel your arm is still infringing upon the soundboard's vibration and would primarily be a comfort thing where an actual arm rest would actually lift your arm off the body for improved acoustics.
Is that about right?
Are they for different purposes or are they accomplishing the same feat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2016, 10:30 AM

I think a bevel is indeed made primarily for comfort, although some builders (e.g. Taylor) say it makes you automatically hold the guitar differently so as not to "infringe upon the soundboard's vibration" as you stated it.

Having said this, I do not agree that the best way to play a guitar is to do it without "infringing upon the soundboard's vibration" - which is the usual Marketing story for bevels and armrests. Listen to the clip below, in my signature. Most of the time I used my entire arm and palm with a lot of force to create "the ultimate arm + palm mute". I basically blocked most of the soundboards natural vibrations to make the guitar sound sharp and wild. Even during the more 'relaxed' interlude halfway, I put my pinky on the top and pressed really hard, with modulation, to shape the tone. Only during the intro did I use a 'freely floating' soundboard.

So armrests do not solve the challenge to play guitar...

Last edited by Picker2; 10-26-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:10 PM

So, the arm rest (specifically the Pearse) will successfully decouple your arm from the top for an inch or two from the edge of the guitar. There's some question as to how acoustically active the edges of a top. I had one on one guitar and think it made some modest difference, but nothing life changing. In the end, I'm not nuts about the look, but it does make a difference and Pearse makes a fine product.

A bevel is really just about comfort - and they are comfortable. The bevel, though, does take away some surface area on the top. On a big guitar, the acoustic effect is probably negligible, but on a small top, the difference may be more significant. I have an upcoming build for a smaller box and the. Holder advised against the bevel on the guitar because he thinks the top is better served by more space. Bevels also look cool.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:17 PM

GOOD GOD MAN!!! That was great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker2 View Post
I think a bevel is indeed made primarily for comfort, although some builders (e.g. Taylor) say it makes you automatically hold the guitar differently so as not to "infringe upon the soundboard's vibration" as you stated it.

Having said this, I do not agree that the best way to play a guitar is to do it without "infringing upon the soundboard's vibration" - which is the usual Marketing story for bevels and armrests. Listen to the clip below, in my signature. Most of the time I used my entire arm and palm with a lot of force to create "the ultimate arm + palm mute". I basically blocked most of the soundboards natural vibrations to make the guitar sound sharp and wild. Even during the more 'relaxed' interlude halfway, I put my pinky on the top and pressed really hard, with modulation, to shape the tone. Only during the intro did I use a 'freely floating' soundboard.

So armrests do not solve the challenge to play guitar...
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion