The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Default In Praise of My Red Bear Thumb Pick

I bought a Red Bear LB Custom thumb pick (actually I "upgraded an AGF member giveaway") probably in 2010 or 2011. Not only does it have exceptional attack and feel, with virtually no noise, but it is tough as nails. I have played with this pick exclusively since I got it, and would estimate 500-1,000 hours of play time on that ONE pick.

Pictured below is a brand new (backup) on the left with my original pick on the right. The pick has shown almost no signs of wear and is still going strong. This pick is probably the single best investment I've made in my acoustic tone. The LB Custom is now called the Red Bear Original thumb pick. I believe they are $25. Given how long they last and how fantastic they sound and feel, they are an absolute no brainer.

I was asked by several folks at SBAIC and am asked often when I play out with others what finger and thumb picks I use. Folks are often surprised at the crisp, complex, authoritative sound that can be had with the right combination of finger and thumb picks. I enthusiastically recommend this thumb pick along with Pro Pik Fingertones.

Brand New Pick on Left - 5 Year Old Pick on the Right

Old 10-14-2016, 07:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I bought a Red Bear LB Custom thumb pick (actually I "upgraded an AGF member giveaway") probably in 2010 or 2011. Not only does it have exceptional attack and feel, with virtually no noise, but it is tough as nails. I have played with this pick exclusively since I got it, and would estimate 500-1,000 hours of play time on that ONE pick.

Pictured below is a brand new (backup) on the left with my original pick on the right. The pick has shown almost no signs of wear and is still going strong. This pick is probably the single best investment I've made in my acoustic tone. The LB Custom is now called the Red Bear Original thumb pick. I believe they are $25. Given how long they last and how fantastic they sound and feel, they are an absolute no brainer.

I was asked by several folks at SBAIC and am asked often when I play out with others what finger and thumb picks I use. Folks are often surprised at the crisp, complex, authoritative sound that can be had with the right combination of finger and thumb picks. I enthusiastically recommend this thumb pick along with Pro Pik Fingertones.

Brand New Pick on Left - 5 Year Old Pick on the Right

They make a very good product. Great to hear your success story.

Any others?

sm
Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 PM

I've not tried the Red Bear thumb pick, or really not many others. That's because I haven't tried one I liked or felt comfortable wth yet. Same with fingerpicks. But, because I like your playing so much, the tone and technique as much as your songs, I'm going to give these a try when I get te chance! Thanks for the endorsement.

cotten
Old 10-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Yeah... Red Bear thumbpicks are pretty nice. Great fit and wonderful sound. Whenever I need to use a thumbpick that's the one I go to.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:05 AM

I'm pretty happy with the Planet Waves tortoise so I probably would not make an effort to shop another. I arrived at the PW pick after sampling a bunch of others. Glad you found the right one for you. For me the PW was a welcome find.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

I have been happy with my thumb and finger picks so I have not been looking to change anything. Now you have infected me with this information. What's so different about them? The sound you get from them? How do they work? Do you special order them?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-15-2016, 03:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I have been happy with my thumb and finger picks so I have not been looking to change anything. Now you have infected me with this information. What's so different about them? The sound you get from them? How do they work? Do you special order them?
Jelly, in all the years I've been on AGF, "infected with information" is one of the best phrases I've ever heard. Kinda says it all. This place'll do that do you.

scott memmer
Old 10-15-2016, 04:16 PM

Ive got two of these too.The white version.

Was all they were offereing at the time..I found the Large(thickness) one to be too thick,with no give/flex to it..
My other is a Medium and i like it a lot !.....Sanded down the large to the same thickness as the medium......The Turquoise version looks interesting.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
The biggest difference is probably the material. It lasts a LONG time. I've never had a pick last anywhere near this long. Second is the feel, which is a combination of the pick material and shape. It doesn't make noise when contacting the string and it gives a very sharp, decisive attack that feels super smooth. Third, the metal band design prevents rotation around your thumb. The pick stays put and you can really lay into it if you want. Given how long it lasts and how fanstistic it sounds and feels, it's $25 very well spent.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoriver View Post
Ive got two of these too.The white version.

Was all they were offereing at the time..I found the Large(thickness) one to be too thick,with no give/flex to it..
My other is a Medium and i like it a lot !.....Sanded down the large to the same thickness as the medium......The Turquoise version looks interesting.
Edited: my last response was wrong. Didn't see the photo. I do think that white material is different, however.

Last edited by justonwo; 10-15-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:29 PM

Material different - think you may be right ..Might be an excuse to buy a new one
Old 10-26-2016, 09:49 AM

I ordered another Red Bear thumb pick on the day of your thread "justonwo"
It just arrived !

The colour/material they had on offer is called "Rusty Turquoise" Wish it was the brown one as above.Have no idea if there would be any sound difference..
Just been having a quick play with it - The tip and sides are shaped smaller than the white ones i ordered previously(had to reshape those).This new one
is just right in shape..I havent played it enough to really tell,but the 2 different
types -"White"-"Turquoise"-sound pretty much the same so far.Although these RB thumbpicks are so hard wearing ive found they take a while to bed in.
Really pleased with it : )

Last edited by mahoriver; 10-26-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Bad pic url
Old 10-26-2016, 10:41 AM

Another Red Bear fan here even though I don't use thumb or finger picks. What I find very interesting is the wear. Supposedly they are supposed to wear out or break. Been using their other picks for about 2 years now and they seem to wear very slowly. I haven't had one break yet. The worst thing that has happened to me is that a couple have managed to grow legs and make their way into someone else's collection. I put a stop to that by buying a keychain pick pouch and keeping the rest of them locked down.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

On a recent trip to Schoenberg guitars, I was asked by more than a few people how I get such crisp, powerful sound. They thought I must have nails of steel.

I'm proud to say that my Red Bear LB custom, which just turned 9 years old, is still going strong. I have a backup pick but still haven't had to use it. In combination with Pro Pik Fingertones, I've really found "my sound." I can't imagine having a better combination. The Red Bear pick just glides off the string, completely noise free and buttery smooth and delivers every ounce of power that I put into the string.

I have a little bin full of the other picks I tried, but nothing can touch Red Bear. The metal band is the clincher, because it eliminates fit and comfort issues. My Blue Chip is also great, but it doesn't delivery quite the same crispness and power. Although I've had it now for several years, I still prefer my LB Custom.

I think I paid $35 for this pick, which not only dramatically improved my tone, but has lasted 9 years. 9 YEARS. I don't know how many hours that translates to. I'm not a full time musician, but even in my off years that's a couple hundred hours per year. Figure 1,500 to 2,000 hours on a single pick. If you look at the picture above, it hasn't worn at all compared to its new replacement.

Now instead of buying new ones for myself, which I don't need, I buy them for close guitar nerd friends. Dave is meticulous about shaping the blade and I can tell you the contour just can't be matched. It is as smooth and natural as you can possibly imagine.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
On a recent trip to Schoenberg guitars, I was asked by more than a few people how I get such crisp, powerful sound. They thought I must have nails of steel.

I'm proud to say that my Red Bear LB custom, which just turned 9 years old, is still going strong. I have a backup pick but still haven't had to use it. In combination with Pro Pik Fingertones, I've really found "my sound." I can't imagine having a better combination. The Red Bear pick just glides off the string, completely noise free and buttery smooth and delivers every ounce of power that I put into the string.

I have a little bin full of the other picks I tried, but nothing can touch Red Bear. The metal band is the clincher, because it eliminates fit and comfort issues. My Blue Chip is also great, but it doesn't delivery quite the same crispness and power. Although I've had it now for several years, I still prefer my LB Custom.

I think I paid $35 for this pick, which not only dramatically improved my tone, but has lasted 9 years. 9 YEARS. I don't know how many hours that translates to. I'm not a full time musician, but even in my off years that's a couple hundred hours per year. Figure 1,500 to 2,000 hours on a single pick. If you look at the picture above, it hasn't worn at all compared to its new replacement.

Now instead of buying new ones for myself, which I don't need, I buy them for close guitar nerd friends. Dave is meticulous about shaping the blade and I can tell you the contour just can't be matched. It is as smooth and natural as you can possibly imagine.
I tried propik finger tones, but I always got a scratchy sound because they scraped against the string windings.

What technique do you use to prevent that scratchy sound? Do you bend your wrist to create a right angle attack from your fingers to the strings?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion