The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2016, 06:26 PM

My favorite replies are the folks who say if the guitar speaks to you, why quibble over a few bucks. How much is a few bucks, $100, $200, $300... More?
It's hard to pass on a guitar you really love but if you wait, another will come along, yes it will. If the dealer won't discount now, he may in six months if the guitar is still around. I assume the dealer knows this particular guitar is a gem and he will eventually get his price. So be it I say. For me, it's like playing poker and I'm calling him. Think about it, their are hundreds of J45s out there. You'll surely find another one you like at your price.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-08-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz-s View Post
I bought a Martin dread from Musician's Friend last month and the amount of shipping I had to pay both ways (from MF to me and back, since they charge you for the "free" shipping when you return) was less than $20. No biggie on a $500+ purchase. They emailed me a label, all I had to do was print it out, tape it to the box, and drop it off at the UPS store. I got my refund inside a week. Many other retailers do free returns.

The return issue is the biggest impediment to online retailers and they know that, so they make it as easy and cheap as possible to deal with.
Glad to hear that worked out for you so inexpensively.

With the guitars I look at buying (small shop and independent luthier builds, vintage guitars) means I end up dealing with small retailers or the builders themselves, so I've never received that type of subsidized return shipping.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
Glad to hear that worked out for you so inexpensively.

With the guitars I look at buying (small shop and independent luthier builds, vintage guitars) means I end up dealing with small retailers or the builders themselves, so I've never received that type of subsidized return shipping.
I certainly didn't expect it, but it was nice. I wouldn't expect that a small dealer or independent builder would subsidize shipping, or even give me free shipping. It's a cost that the dealer/retailer doesn't have to eat, but the bigger ones are willing to.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:27 PM

I go for and expect a discount if it is common practice to get one. If a seller (guitar, vehicle) WOULD give a discount if you ask/demand but is happy to pay full price then it becomes a little game of cat and mouse. Regardless if it is WORTH full price you feel if you pay it then you got took.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:41 PM

[Deleted after realizing this is an old thread I've already replied to]

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 10-25-2016, 06:50 PM

Sign on the wall of a local music store a few years ago:

"Let's assume we opened our doors today to make a reasonable profit".

Some wonderful guitars
Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 PM

American-centric posts as usual, worthless for anyone outside the US.

The J45 is $3500 here. Period. We don't care about US prices, they don't apply to the majority of guitar players in the world.

Yes, it is expensive. Martins are the same here now. If anyone thinks that is within the reach of most players...hahah..yeh...right
Old 10-26-2016, 07:54 AM

I freely admit that I'm an idiot when it comes to the guitar business. When I was young and shopping for guitars at the local stores I took the price tag at face value. That is what it costs. It's a little disturbing to realize in todays brave new world that there is a retail price, a MAP price, and possibly some other price. That is wonky. I used to sell boats. There were four other dealers within a hundred mile radius selling the same line. We all kept our prices firm so as not to cheapen the product. Customers seem to appreciate value. If one of those dealers started under-cutting price hundreds of boat owners would be adversely affected in their investment. Not fair. Everybody wants a deal. If I ever needed to move marina store inventory like a life preserver or a tube I would simply tag it as 'Special' at full retail. People like 'Specials'. When I want to buy a guitar I want to know the price. The real price. Why waste your time pricing inventory when the price tags are meaningless.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion