The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 08:02 AM

Default Tuners: Gotoh v Schaller

Why are Gotoh considered superior to Schaller?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Tuners: Gotoh v Schaller

The Schallers I've had seemed looser for tuning. Limited sample size of course. Was disappointed when Lowden switched from Gotoh's on their standard models.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:20 AM

The newer Gotoh models have a post design that is very stiff and doesn't deflect much under string tension. The older Schaller designs (and most everyone else) don't have this. However, there are some new Schaller designs that purport to be be very good. I have had success with many different tuners, but I am using:

Grover Sta-Tite 18:1 open back on my Martin (Replaced stock Martin "vintage" tuners that we a bit sloppy)
Taylor stock 18:1 tuners on my 858e. (No need to replace)
Taylor stock 16:1 tuners on my GS mini (Pretty average but serviceable)
Gotoh Delta 21:1 mid size on my 818e. (Replaced stock Taylor tuners, but really not necessary)

For me, the best tuner on the market is the Gotoh Delta 21:1. However, they don't necessarily look right on vintage style guitars.

As far as open backs go, Waverly 16:1 and Grover StaTite 18:1 are great options. I'm eager to try the Schaller GrandTune some day.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
The Schallers I've had seemed looser for tuning. Limited sample size of course. Was disappointed when Lowden switched from Gotoh's on their standard models.
Ive just bought a standard model with Scallers and see that all the models above have gotoh hence my question. Get what you pay for!
Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

I bought a Goodall guitar recently that came with the gold 510 minis and the black buttons. When I was tuning it last night I noticed how nice and smooth they feel every time. Really great

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion