The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 AM

Default PVC or vinyl exposure on nitro (not touching)

Hi guys, in my never ending quest to fight humidity (living in Asia), I chanced upon an option, that's basically an enlarged version of the dry cabinets one would use for photographic equipment, but sized for guitars. The good thing with this option is that the humidity control comes built-in, and even as it fails eventually down the road, I can more easily control the humidity with conventional silica gel, Humidipaks and so on. Bonus is also the cabinet is sized for 2 acoustics, so I have an excuse to fill the empty space further down. Looks to me the most ideal solution (while expensive) since my guitar case is not airtight, and for other reasons dehumidifying the entire room is not so great.

Getting to my question, I have a nitro finished Martin, and I'm aware of the risks of direct contact between nitro and vinyl/PVC (are they the same?) surfaces. The manufacturer's specs mention that the door seals for the cabinet are made of "soft PVC", understandably to maintain an air seal between the door and the frame, and so would have to be soft and supple. Which then implies that plasticizers would be used. While the door seals will never come in direct contact with the guitar (I do need to check on what materials the internal supports and frames are made of), they do share the same enclosed environment with the guitar (along the edges), and might "gas".

I don't have a lot of experience with dry cabinets, but I figure for them to control humidity, there must be limited air exchange between the inside and the external environment apart from regular access to the guitar, but still there must be an outlet to expel moisture through the thermo-electric dehumidifier (probably a Peltier-effect based unit). Taking things on balance, should I be concerned that soft PVC is used for the door seals?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion