The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 01:33 PM

can you provide relief and action measurements?

Folks are wondering if you have unrealistic expectations, it would put things in context to know the guitar's measurements.

f-d
Old 10-25-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post

Folks are wondering if you have unrealistic expectations, it would put things in context to know the guitar's measurements.

f-d
+1. I've heard the same story from the guy that bought my D55 years ago. He wanted to play in an action that nobody could eliminate buzzing.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:58 PM

My Martin warranty story is one of "good news" / "bad news."

I bought a new HD28 in 1992. Developed a 1" crack in the back. Took it to the store where I bought it. They said they could repair it, but I would be able to see the repair and I would have to pay for the repair. Or, they would send it to Martin and they would repair it under warranty, I pay shipping. And, I wouldn't be able to see the repair. I had them send it to Martin.

6 months later, the guitar was returned. Perfect repair.

The good news is that I needed a guitar to play in church, so I got a Larrivee D10 Custom in the mean time.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post

f-d
I don't have the guitar for measurements, but Steve was concerned about the very small relief of the neck. It's between .002 -.003 and he suggested .005 is closer to customary. However, the Martin repair guy said it was right to spec. The action has not been lowered - it's normal acoustic action (about the same as most guitars I've owned and played).

The guitar is much better than it was before I brought it. Maybe if I paid $1,000 for it I'd say "good enough," but it doesn't sound like a guitar that lists for $8,500 in the middle of the neck.

I don't want the action raised above normal to compensate for a neck that either wasn't built or attached properly. There has been some metal removed (frankly most of it on frets I don't care that much about high on the neck). But when the 6th string sounds fine on the 5th and 12th frets and not so fine on the 8th something is wrong.

My bad was accepting the guitar in this condition earlier in the year. I waited many months for it's arrival and fell deeply in love with the sound in first position. I assumed - very badly it turns out - that the guitar just needed a good set-up from Steve.

He told me if it had an adjustable truss rod he could fix it in a matter of minutes. Maybe a cautionary tale.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-25-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I don't have the guitar for measurements, but Steve was concerned about the very small relief of the neck. It's between .002 -.003 and he suggested .005 is closer to customary. However, the Martin repair guy said it was right to spec....
That does sound pretty flat....what gauge strings are you using?
Old 10-25-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
That does sound pretty flat....what gauge strings are you using?

Retro Bluegrass
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-25-2016, 11:05 PM

I think the key question is was the action within Martin's factory specs after the repair was done. If that was not the case, the the OP is right to expect this to be corrected (IMHO, of course).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion