The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2016, 09:34 AM

Default Sell/swap Custom Martin for a Guild Dread (+Tele)?

So I'm considering moving my Custom Shop Martin and replacing it with two gigging guitars: a Guild (probably D-40) and an electric, probably some version of a Tele.

The Martin is based on an HD-28, but has these custom features:
- Adi top
- Fishman Matrix Ellipse Blend Pickup
- Long, vintage style saddle
- Waverly Tuners
- Snowflake Inlays

It's a great guitar, but it honestly just feels a little too high end for a lot of the gigs I play - I feel nervous bringing it to a lot of the venues. Plus, I think I may lean toward Mahogany (I have a D-18A '39 that I really love, but don't use it for gigs).

So I'm intrigued by the Guild D-40. The problem is, I've never played one. I'm going solely based on reviews and what some friends have said about them. I like the fact that I can get a vintage one in good shape for $1000 or less. But that's about all I know. Are there certain year ranges to look for? Certain build locations? Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice on using one for a gigging guitar? I would outfit it with a Fishman Matrix, my pickup of choice.

Thanks in advance!
#3 Album on the Folk DJ Charts Apr 2016
Winners of American Songwriter Magazine's 30th Anniversary Song Contest
"An incredibly promising debut" -Maverick Magazine
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 AM

I think the most recent New Hartford built D40s are considered excellent and can be had in that price range. They are generally lightly built and responsive, but the Guild neck is probably very different from a Martin neck. It is notable that for the New Hartford models there were two versions: the "Bluegrass Jubilee" ones have an Adirondack top and nicer appointments, whereas the "Standard" ones have Sitka top (with Adi bracing) and are more plain, and therefore quite a bit more economical. Many of the Standard ones were also built with cutaway.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

I have a D50-NT from the 70s that plays like a dream. It has been gigged a lot and has the mojo scars to boot.

I just sent it over to Top Gear Guitar in San Diego for a couple of crack repairs and freshen up job.

I think the older Guild guitars are great. I have played a couple of other D50s and they are awesome.
1989 PRS CE24
Nash T63 Tele
Nash T52 Tele
Nash JB63
1977 Musicman Stingray
Old 09-27-2016, 05:05 PM

The Guild D40 is really a great guitar. My first nice solid wood guitar was a D40. I bought it new in 1979 or 80. I let it go a few years ago and regret that move. Check out the "Let's Talk Guild" forum. You can get bunches of info there.
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/forum.php

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 09-27-2016, 05:05 PM

Appreciate the replies so far!
#3 Album on the Folk DJ Charts Apr 2016
Winners of American Songwriter Magazine's 30th Anniversary Song Contest
"An incredibly promising debut" -Maverick Magazine
www.thedeephollow.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion