The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2014, 05:26 AM

Default help finding quality luthier

As I travel this road at learning to play the guitar, I have decided to replace the nut and saddle on my epiphone with ones made of bone. (existing ones are plastic). Still being very new I wish to have someone else do the work, but I want feel comfortable that they will do me a good quality job. What are some of the things I should be looking for to find a quality luthier? Is this a everyday job that any repair shop does with ease and I am overthinking it? Although the phone book list a few, and local guitar shops all recommend different ones, (seem like none agree) I am just finding it difficult deciding on where to take it for the best job. Any help on things I should be looking for will be appreciated, also I live in the area around Utica NY, so if someone wants to recommend a shop they know would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any assistance. love this site.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Replacing a nut and saddle is a job any good guitar tech should be able to do. I think the key is to find one who isn't so pressed to get a huge number of jobs completed in a short time, that he or she devotes sufficient time and attention to each guitar worked on. Sometimes, techs at big-box shops don't have that luxury, it seems. Other times, they're great. But you don't need a master luthier to do what you want done. Hopefully, someone here will be able to provide names of people in your area who can do this for you. If you know of a local guitar tech and can get a sense from other customers that he/she is any good, it's probably not a big risk to have that person do this pretty simple modification for you. If you just don't know of anyone, hopefully other posters will provide suggestions.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 AM

Do you mind if I ask why?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodde View Post
…What are some of the things I should be looking for to find a quality luthier?
Hi Woodde...

I'd look for a certified Martin or Taylor technician. There are a set of standards they have to meet. Saddle and nut replacement would definitely be in their skill set.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-24-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeslide View Post
Do you mind if I ask why?
My epiphone was my first guitar, and I still use it around the house quiet often. But being very limited at my guitar experience and unable to play when I purchased it, I was unable to detect a lot of tone differences between guitars.
Since that time, I have improved a lot and purchased a Taylor 314 and can see a world of difference in tones now. With all of that being said, I read alot on this site of people preferring the tone of bone, tusq, or ebony over plastic. So I thought what the heck, lets change the nut and saddle and see if it improves the overall tone of my epiphone. I don't believe this to be a expensive upgrade (I could be wrong though). I do believe it will improve the tone but the only way I will truly know is to try it. Is my way of thinking wrong on this?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 AM

Hi Woodde,

I highly recommend Nate at Fingerlakes Guitar Repair he has done numerous resets, refrets, and new saddle/nut replacements for me - always excellent work. About 1.5hr from you.

In general, bone should be an improvement over plastic, but there may be other factors at work. Nate would help you evaluate the instrument, but of course only do what you felt comfortable with or could afford. Saddle and nut replacement is pretty low risk (and you can always save your old ones).

John

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion