The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2023, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Truss rod question, Takamine TAN16C

Hi all, I bought a Takamine TAN16C from GC when they had their 10% off sale. Trying to decide if I want to keep it. The action is high, a bit of a bow in the neck to my eye. I don’t adjust my own guitars, but thought I’d give it a try because it isn’t a dramatic change. I can turn the truss rod counter clockwise or clockwise, what I noticed is that unless I am at what would seem to be the extreme end of the range, the truss rod nut (Allen head) turns very easily. It feels like it turns a good two or three full rotations with no resistance, then when I am guessing I am at the end of the range, it gets very stiff. Is that normal? I expected to feel some resistance throughout, given that often we hear about only adjusting a quarter turn at a time. I can bring it to a local tech, or even back to GC, but wanted to ask here so I know if I am being provided accurate info.

Thanks very much!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-19-2023, 06:28 PM

your instinct is right usually a 1/2 to maybe 3/4 a turn at a time for a moderately significant amount of front or back bow. Try to not to do 2 or 3 (or more) turns.

Most of the time, Just do it in 1/4 or 1/2 turn changes, then eye ball it, see what it looks like.

otherwise what you describe sounds right with it feeling tight. Really.. just try not to force or overdo anything.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 11-19-2023 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:43 PM

The looseness at the null point is due to the nature of the two-way truss rods. This may be a bit disconcerting to feel no resistance, but it is normal. Until you feel some resistance, the rod is essentially doing nothing. Turn clockwise until resistance is felt, then add another quarter turn at a time until the correct relief is achieved.
Old 11-19-2023, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
your instinct is right usually a 1/2 to maybe 3/4 a turn at a time for a moderately significant amount of front or back bow. Try to not to do 2 or 3 (or more) turns.

Most of the time, Just do it in 1/4 or 1/2 turn changes, then eye ball it, see what it looks like.

otherwise what you describe sounds right with it feeling tight. Really.. just try not to force or overdo anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
The looseness at the null point is due to the nature of the two-way truss rods. This may be a bit disconcerting to feel no resistance, but it is normal. Until you feel some resistance, the rod is essentially doing nothing. Turn clockwise until resistance is felt, then add another quarter turn at a time until the correct relief is achieved.
Thank you, both. John, that’s exactly the advice I needed. So to be clear, from inside the sound hole, I’m turning the Allen key clockwise? For some reason I would have thought to go the opposite direction. Do I need to loosen the strings? Thanks again!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 11-19-2023, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I have seen many guitars come out of GC with the truss rod completely loose.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
I have seen many guitars come out of GC with the truss rod completely loose.
I can tighten it, now just need to be clear whether clockwise or counter when doing it from inside the sound hole, and if I need to loosen more than the center strings to give the tool room to rotate a bit.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 11-20-2023, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Ok, I loosened the strings and tightened the truss rod, but think I am as far as I want to turn it. The action is still higher than I’d like. Is it worthwhile to take it to a tech and have them work on it? I’m guessing it’ll need the saddle sanded down, but I am concerned that the truss rod is as tight as it can go.

What do you all suggest? Plugged in the guitar sounds great. The other option is to return it and try another, or a similar model like the P5DC.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 11-20-2023, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

No matter which way a truss rod needs to be turned, I always loosen it just a bit and return it to where it was before I proceed with any adjustment. Especially important (to me) for a used guitar with a vague/unknown back-story.
Old 11-21-2023, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Ok, I loosened the strings and tightened the truss rod, but think I am as far as I want to turn it. The action is still higher than I’d like. Is it worthwhile to take it to a tech and have them work on it? I’m guessing it’ll need the saddle sanded down, but I am concerned that the truss rod is as tight as it can go.

What do you all suggest? Plugged in the guitar sounds great. The other option is to return it and try another, or a similar model like the P5DC.
You want some relief in the neck. Action is adjusted at the nut and saddle. A.good tech will adjust all of this to your playing style and preferences. They'll take care of the unexpected like dealing with a high fret. Money well spent to turn a good guitar into a great player.
Old 11-21-2023, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
No matter which way a truss rod needs to be turned, I always loosen it just a bit and return it to where it was before I proceed with any adjustment. Especially important (to me) for a used guitar with a vague/unknown back-story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
You want some relief in the neck. Action is adjusted at the nut and saddle. A.good tech will adjust all of this to your playing style and preferences. They'll take care of the unexpected like dealing with a high fret. Money well spent to turn a good guitar into a great player.
Thanks guys. My concern is that I feel like there is no more room to tighten the truss rod, and I can’t imagine that’s a good thing. I am going to a/b it against another dread I have and like, a Gibson Songwriter EC. If I like the Tak well enough in the comparison, I’ll bring it to a good local tech, get their opinion and invest the money. I want to keep only one of them at this point. I’d prefer the Tak because the Gibson will sell for more than double. If I like the Gibson much more, I will return the Tak to GC, only out the cost of a new set of strings I put on when it arrived.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 11-21-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Thank you, both. John, that’s exactly the advice I needed. So to be clear, from inside the sound hole, I’m turning the Allen key clockwise? For some reason I would have thought to go the opposite direction. Do I need to loosen the strings? Thanks again!
with a standard single action truss it's lefty loosey, righty tighty applies here.. left, add relief, (increase forward bow) right remove relief (straighten neck)

No need to loosen the strings, since that will immediately reduce the tension and therefore will affect your neck relief. You want to see what your truss rod change is doing to the relief as you adjust it.

I would definitely bring it somewhere to have a reputable setup tech go over what you got. Then you can usually be pretty confident the setup is correct.

(then again a lot depends on the setup tech, I've read some stories here that make me wonder what some guys are thinking when they offer these services to players with new guitars needing work)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 11-21-2023 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

Conventional wisdom is to make 1/4 turns at a time. Maybe do that a couple times. But cranking the thing much more can overcompensate and do damage.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:54 AM

Hope that guitar works out for you.

I played a TAN 16C for almost a decade and really liked it when plugged in. Should have kept it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion