The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2001, 10:36 AM

Smile Taylor Clinic

I took my daughter to the Beppe Gambetta clinic in Lawrence KS over the weekend. Both of us had a great time. If he does a clinic in your area, I'd highly recommend attending it. He gave great advice, answered questions and played some amazing tunes.
Any reviews out there regarding the other Taylor clinicians?

"No don't walk that way....there's nothing there" - M. Keneally
Old 03-19-2001, 11:37 AM

Haven't had a chance to see Beppe, but did see Chris Proctor when he was in Wichita last year. What a eye opener and lesson. Learned alot about tunings and he turned me on to Alaska finger picks. If you fingerpick these picks are great. No more nail breaks or wear down. They adjust to your fingers and sound almost as good as your real nails.
He also is big on an E- bow. Haven't been there yet. I would strongly reccomend his new CD "Under the Influence", great open tunings. Great guitar player!!
Old 03-19-2001, 07:56 PM

Beppe in Lawrence?!!!! Was it at Mass Street Music? AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!
Witchita is not to far to drive for a Chris Proctor workshop, either!
I missed it! I've been trying to find out about Taylor workshops in the KCMO area but haven't had much luck. I've been to the website and go to the Events
section but the link doesn't take me anywhere. Sent them an e-mail asking for schedule......nothing. )Taylor is usually prettty responsive) about questions? What's the best way to find out about the workshops or how did you hear about it?
I 've read a lot about these events but have yet to attend one..mostly beacause I don't/can't find out about them.
Also, are these workshops free?
Any info would be appreciated.

[ 03-19-2001: Message edited by: guitarjonze ]
Unidentified Beater Classical
Old 03-20-2001, 01:27 AM

Cool

You have to keep track of individual clinicians pages. Those are kept current. They still don't list the new clinicians unfortunately. I think the nearly 25% increase in business has Taylor jumping six ways at once.

Special note to JR and other Texans. Doyle Dykes is making a stop here in San Antonio on his way across the country:

San Antonio, Texas
Alamo Music Center
Monday, May 14, 7 p.m.
(210) 525-1010

Alamo sets up a regular stage. JR, why don't you find an excuse to come down to SA for this visit. Doyle has said he will be doing fewer clinics in the future so you may not want to miss this.

As much as I want to come to Dallas for Pat Kirtley it actually looks like one of the Houston clinics will be more likely. (go check the list!)
Old 03-20-2001, 04:54 AM

Talking

I saw Beppe on Sunday at Hesston College in Hesston, KS. About 30 miles North of Wichita. He was fantastic!
Amazing what he can do with a flatpick.

Hey, Vince! Wichita, huh? That's cool!
Old 03-20-2001, 07:04 AM

Unhappy

Aww, you guys are so lucky!
Over here in the UK, I don't think that we have any of the clinics. It's not fair!
Do you think I should emigrate?

Best I've got is the Stefan Grossman videos...
Ah well

Hand Made Walnut 000 | Hand Made Maple OOO 12 | '94 915-M | '96 810 | '98 W65 | '00 314-K |
Yairi DY-58 (9 String) | Sobell Cittern | Moon 'Bazar' (Guitar-Bouzouki) | Freshwater Octave Mandolin | Breedlove Fretless Acoustic Bass | Recording King Squareneck Tricone Reso | Ozark Tenor Banjo | Ozark Tenor Guitar | EKO Ranger XII | Fender Strat | 'Vintage' "The Fool" SG | + some others
Old 03-20-2001, 09:25 AM

Yes, it was at Mass Street Music. A total of eighteen people in attendance. I saw it on the Taylor website and contacted the shop.
As for the new clinicians, I'd really like to see Mike Keneally. I've got a few of his CD's and he certainly can play.

Old 03-23-2001, 07:14 PM

Cool

I caught the Mike Keneally/ Bryan Beller clinic in Albuquerque last night and they were great! Big crowd - 100? - but I got there early and was in the front of the line so I got a front row seat. I play Taylor basses, an AB-2 fretted and AB-3 fretless, so it was a real treat to hear someone else play one for the first time. And boy can Bryan play! As a special treat, it was one of the new AB-4 models with a tobacco sunburst. Mike was playing a 614CE with the natural/amber finish (the same as I have on my AB-3), and I won a set of guitar strings by answering that question. The music was great fun, though a bit "busy" for my personal tastes - man those guys can play fast, complicated stuff. They were very friendly, stuck around for talking afterwards -all in all a great evening.
Old 03-24-2001, 08:50 AM

Arrow

I recently attended a workshop in Mayfield Heights,near Cleveland, given by Beppe Gambetta and Dan Crary.I found out about through a local flyer.Attendance was standing room only.Beppe and Dan played and talked for over 2 hours.They also stayed around after for conversation.Crary is solid as a rock and played a longer neck version of his DCSM . Gambetta added a whole new flavor to the bluegrass tunes . He was amazing with the speed and navigation of the entire neck.The workshop was alot of fun,music was great,well worth attending. I should also mention it was put on at the area Guitar Center.While I usually prefer the smaller more personal spots,they did a nice job putting on this event.I walked out with a CD, Gambetta music book,strings, and inspiration to go back to some basics and improve them and experiment with some new ideas.
Old 03-27-2001, 10:17 AM

Chris Procter is doing several shows and clinics in Colorado next Mo. If you are in the area don't miss them. Also he is playing in someones home for private show in Durango, can you believe it! Also anyone into LJ, Wings X lead. His CDs are great and good for study.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:11 PM

<<Chris Procter is doing several shows and clinics in Colorado next Mo. If you are in the area don't miss them.>>

I live in Colorado. Any idea where to get info?

Thanks,

Brad Hartman
Old 03-28-2001, 11:55 AM

Go into Chris Proctor web site. All the dates are in his site. Also call the guitar shops in Co. Springs for the dates!!
Old 03-30-2001, 08:14 PM

Smile

Tentative info for the other folks in the Kansas City area. I went into Monster Music in Independence today and was told that they had just booked a clinic with Mike Keneally and Bryan Beller on June 1st.
I definitely plan to attend that one.
Again, I'm going to call this info tentative until I see it verified somewhere else. Mark your calendar.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion