The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2001, 11:20 PM

Question Pre-Order Help....Options???

Hi folks,
Ok...my Martin has just sold on Ebay and I'm looking to buy my first Taylor. I think a 614CE.....green...no...blue...whatever!

I noticed that many posting describe upgrades. Does anyone know where a list of common upgrades and prices are posted or has this info to post on the forum?

Are there any particularly beneficial upgrades or are they all cosmetic?

Thanks in advance!
Lance
Old 11-12-2001, 01:57 AM
Jim

On the cosmetic end, on the 600s you have a choice of colors or sunbursts. There is also a limited edition out now where you get a slightly fancier fretboard inlay and abalone top edge inlay. You should also be able to get either a 2 or 3 piece back. The 3-piece has the disadvantage of being 3 pieces, but you get the benefit of it usually being more highly figured maple.

On the functional end you can order it without the cutaway or the electronics (don't know why you would want to, but you do save money). You can also have your choice of
1 3/4" or 1 11/16" wide fretboards - whichever feels better in your hand. Also, you can pay a bunch more and get something called 900 series maple which is the special master quality maple.

Talk to your dealer and they can tell you whether there is anything more currently available.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:35 AM

Cool

If you want a really special 614CE look for the new 614CE-LTD I saw a red one that was on loan for display. It was killer! JW
Old 11-12-2001, 09:30 AM

The options Jim mentioned (1 3/4 or 1 11/16 neck & 2 or 3 pc. back are both at no extra charge. You can also specify quilt or straight grain maple at no extra charge. A 1 7/8 neck and a florentine cutaway is available with an upcharge. I ordered my 614ce with quilt, 3pc. back & florentine cutaway about a month ago and is supposed to be here any day.
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 11-12-2001, 09:46 AM

Does anyone have a link to a picture and/or information on the 614CE-LTD model?

Steve - what did the florentine cutaway cost?
Old 11-12-2001, 10:51 AM

llholland -
Go the taylorguitars.com and theres a section called 2001 Limited Editions with pictures. I'll email you the cost of the florentine cutaway. We aren't supposed to disuss pricing on this forum out of respect for Taylors policies.
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 11-12-2001, 03:22 PM

Question

Does the grain show throught on the black 600's? Tim Flannery lives here locally in San Diego and he was on a Sunday morning news show playing a black 614ce. It was a beautiful guitar. I couldn't tell if the grain showed through or not. I'm curious about it. If so, how does it look?

Shea

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Shea ]
Old 11-12-2001, 10:40 PM

Shea, I played a black 612ce at a store a few weeks ago and the grain did not show through. I have played a two black DDSM (Doyle Dykes), also maple. The first one was a 2000 model and you could see through the black stain. The maple looked kinda nice, but you had to be fairly close to see it. The second one I played was a 2001 and you could not see through the stain.

lholland if you are looking at maple guitars check out the DDSM. It is a x14 size, with the width of a x12. It is a killer guitar, but does cost a lot more then a 614ce.

Josh
Old 11-13-2001, 12:44 AM
Jim

Black guitars are nice, but they show every little fingerprint and so you wind up have to polish them all the time or just live with all of the smudges. I like the blue or the green or the amber the best. I can't stand the sunbursts on Taylors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion