The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2001, 06:09 PM

Question A question about humidifiers/de-humidifiers ....

I recently purchased a new Taylor 312ce and have never had an accoustic guitar with a solid wood top. Most of my other guitars were laminated. I have read on this forum how important it is to use a humidifier/de-humidifier for storage because solid wood guitars don't adapt to changes in temprature as well as laminated-top guitars, but I have never used a dual humidifier/de-humidifier before and am kind of scared because I don't know if it will do more harm than good to my guitar. I read on the package that "improper use of this could result in damage to the instrument". I want to protect my guitar anyway I can, but NOT at the expense of ruining it myself!! I play in a church and always store it in the custom case that came with it. I asked and was told that the average church temp. is kept at around 65 to 70 degrees all the time. Do I even need to use a dual humidifier/de-humidifier or not? I am really debating this because I would feel terrible if I ruined a instrument out of ignorance! Thanks in advance for any insight you can give!
Old 08-07-2001, 11:50 PM
Jim

Congrats on your new 312CE! By the way, not only is the top solid wood, but so are the sides and back which is why it sounds so good.

Before you start worrying about humidifying or dehumidifying, first buy yourself a small humidistat that will tell you what the humidity actually is. Radio Shack sells a pretty good electronic one for about $25. It seems that the majority of the folks on this forum use the Radio Shack model as a good balance between low cost and high accuracy but any humidistat will be fine - even the really cheaply made ones that come free with most room humidifiers.

If the guitar is kept in an air conditioned room/building during the summer such as the church you describe, there is not much chance of there being too much humidity in the summer since air conditioners by their very nature will take a lot of the wetness out of the air (you will notice that air conditioners always have a drain pipe for water condensate).

In the winter you may or may not have a need for a humidifier when the heating kicks on and the already dry winter air is further dried out by the heater. Taylor recommends 45% to 55% humidity as ideal, but I find I can get by with 40% to 60% without worrying. In the winter if it gets drier than 40% I just turn on my room humidifier where I keep my acoustics and not only are they happier but my sinuses are happier as a little moisture in the air makes it much more comfortable and it reduces that annoying static electricity as well. It also lets you save on heating costs a bit by letting you lower the temperature a degree or two since moister air will make it feel warmer to you. Keeping the guitar in its case when you are not playing it is a good idea for two reasons, first it will reduce the effects of dry or wet air and it will protect you wonderful new instrument.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:59 AM

Congrats on the 312ce. Follows Jim's advice and you should be fine

Derek

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 08-08-2001, 04:34 AM

Talking

Thanks everyone, I will try to follow the advice Jim gave. Again, thanks!
Old 08-08-2001, 10:52 AM

In the event that you are interested in a good room humidifier. I can't recommend this model enough. Holmes makes a wonderful model with a built in hygrometer and an automatic on/off switch (avaliable at target stores). Here in Indiana, it becomes ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to have a humidifier in the winter, but you are generally fine in the summer without a de-humidifier. Just keep your room within the 45-55% level and you will have nothing but enjoyment from your Taylor. But like Jim said, get a hygrometer first and see what you are dealing with. Be mindful of the seasonal changes, and make adjustments accordingly.

Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion