The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2001, 11:47 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Post Taylor factory tour

This last week, I had the rare opportunity to get a personal tour of the Taylor factory, by my good friend Buzz Marcus. The highlight of the tour was definitely meeting the staff and all the great people at Taylor that do everything from creating the Wood & Steel publication, to the guys that bend the wood for every guitar. It was really great to meet in person, Rita Hoffman, Andy Robinson, John D'Agostino, Jim Kirlin, Amy De "Great" , Ed Alves, T.J. Baden, Steve Bernstein, and all the others, whose names have totally slipped my mind at the moment (that happens a lot these days. ) It was a really crazy day, and I thought my head would explode after the great in-depth tour of both factory locations, and all the processes that go in to building Taylor guitars. It's really something to behold. If anyone here gets the chance to go down to El Cajon or San Diego area, you've got to make time to take the factory tour! You'll have much more appreciation for your Taylor guitar.

I'd just like to say that I was so impressed by the attitude of every employee of Taylor that I encountered. Everyone seemed to have a smile and was very polite, and some members of the manufacturing staff stopped what they were doing to explain in detail the process behind their particular task, and what the end result would be. Everyone in the plant seemed to have a real sense of pride about what they were doing, and seemed to be having a good time. This was perhaps the most positive thing that I walked away with - a sense that the people actually building the guitars care about what they're doing, and seem to take pride in their work. That attitude may very well be the reason Taylor guitars are so good. Everyone really seems to care about the product.

I regret not being able to meet Bob or Kurt while there, but I did pass Bob in the hall. He looked really concerned about something, and we didn't want to bother him at the time.

I spent the afternoon with Ed Alves and T.J. Baden, talking about the business side of Taylor guitars and getting a lot of insight into the business, and how and why decisions are made. I also got some of your questions answered, and relayed your concerns about different things like the case interior and the latches, as well as some business practices by dealers, etc. I'll try to get some answers posted the first half of next week.

During the factory tour, I snapped hundreds of pictures. It's going to be quite a task to assemble them into a virtual tour, but I'm getting right to work on it. For now, I'm posting a few pictures of some really great stuff - like the awesome ribbon-striped rosewood 714CE that I saw on the shelf, Doyle Dykes personal guitar, and some Mexican Ziricote - aka Brazilian rosewood killer.

Stay tuned....

J.R. Rogers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion