The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2001, 12:58 PM

Question 810 or 810CE?

Can anyone tell me if the cutaway and the electronics affect the soundquality? I have to make a choice between 810 and 810 CE.
Taylor 514c 1996 sold!
Taylor 810 2003 revoiced
Taylor 814c 1996 Sold!
Taylor 914c Cindy 1997 for sale.

Wish list
Taylor 512 (no c, no e)
Taylor XXX-RS
Taylor 855
Collings OM3(HSS)
Martin D42
Old 10-11-2001, 01:54 PM

The cutaway will slightly reduce the bass response and volume due to the smaller internal volume of the guitar body. The electronics shouldn't have any noticeable effect on sound.

I have an 810 and I installed LR Baggs electronics after buying the guitar.

Ken
Old 10-11-2001, 02:27 PM

Hi,

Did you play both?

Which sounds better?

And then there are many guitarists who hear no difference.

Good Luck.
-grm
Old 10-13-2001, 07:31 PM

i would think that both would sound SUPERDUPER!....i have the 810[I HAVE A TAYLOR!,,it still blows me away!soookoool]and it sounds ......well it CAN sound way better than i make it sound,but it still makes my G's,C's,and D's sound .....BIG....its almost like it has autopilot or something,i played the CE....welll it was kool too!i like the cutout,but its not like i access that area of the neck too much anyway!lol...how much was the lrbaggs setup?or fishman?which one to use in my 810?
Old 10-14-2001, 12:56 PM

Hi Leen,

I own an 810ce and my buddy owns an 810 w/ an LR Baggs pickup installed. Assuming both guitars sound good unplugged, what happens when you plug them in?

The cutaway does not hurt the sound I feel, in fact I think it helps a little, takes some of the hollowness out and gives it a tighter sound when amplified. As far as electronics are concerned I don't think it hurts the sound at all, and to make a decision on whether to get the onboard prefix really depends on how you will be amplifying it. I normally use a
BOSS EQ pedal in addition to the prefix going
directly into the sound board. There are times
when the EQ is not necessary and I go straight
to a board or amp and use the prefix only.

I think having the prefix gives you a little flexibility in different playing situations.

If you have a set way you control your sound every time, with eq's effects, processors then you really don't need the onboard electronics
because you'll have some guy half way across a stadium at a sound board making sure you sound great. Hope this help you!

Peter
Old 10-14-2001, 10:50 PM

Smile

Do you need a ce? If not no contest 810 or 810 C if you desire. If you need it electric it will have a slightly different tone but worth it, because you will use it. If you want to here the true tone open the eq while you are playing accoustic only. It should give you the tone you are projecting. Have a friend go along and play something for you while you listen or tape both ,take tape home and decide there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion