The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM

Default Info required about Rex Rivoli 1930's archtop

Hi all,

I've just bought a new guitar and wondered if anyone here had any info about it. It's an old 1930's Rex Rivoli archtop, quite a rare beast. Prior to purchasing this I spent about 3 days researching and couldn't find out much, just that they were made in the USA in the 30's and 40's by Harmony and were sold by Gretsch. It is all solid birch and has a stamp inside which reads ??/38 . It has a very chunky V neck - it's actually one of the comfiest and nicest necks I've ever played! Feels very much like an early Gibson archtop.

It is a lovely thing, aged gracefully and has clearly been played a lot over the years! I have just got it back from my luthier who has bonded the back and top back on as they were coming away slightly in a couple of places, he's also done some fret work and replaced the bone nut with a tusq as it was broken at one end. It now resonates as it should and has a really sweet tone, lots of natural reverb coming through the F holes, especially in the higher registers and has that old-timey pre-war blues sound in spades. It is now my main acoustic slide guitar. It's one I'll be keeping for life I'm sure.

Can anyone tell me anything more about these guitars? I would love to know more about its history, she sure look like she has a few stories to tell!

Here's a recent video I put on youtube so you can hear what she sounds like and see some pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHCaIurFi1s
Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 PM

Hey - that sounds great! I have a 1938 Kalamazoo KG-31 archtop that I use for slide - simlar tone. I love having access to the bridge with my hand for palm muting, something I haven't adjusted for on a reso that has a Strap over the bridge.

In addition to what you hear here, I would head over to the UMGF Vintage Corner; it's the place that many top vintage dealers and collectors who hang out online go.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...3#.T3oxVxB5mK0

Best of luck - I hope you get good info. Lotta guitar geeks here
Old 10-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5slide View Post
Hi all,
...I've just bought a new guitar and wondered if anyone here had any info about it.
Hi 5slide...

First of all Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined and jumped in with a thread...

Enjoyed the video and pics...and I know nothing about that particular guitar. Sounds good in your hands...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!

WordMan - I'll definitely check out that forum, thanks.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Welcome ! Nice work on that slide song...
Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM

5slide - No info. on the guitar (sorry) but I do have a question. I love the way the highs sound on the guitar. They don't "bite" or "jump out". They seem to be very smooth and resonate very well. Is that a product of the guitar or technique? I don't know anything about slide guitar so maybe it's just normal. Nice playing and welcome aboard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion