The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Default Dead Sounding G Strings

This has bothered me for years on a Strat as well as several acoustics. I thought it was me being paranoid and then someone else, quite unprompted, said the same. And that is....

We have noticed over many years that many guitars (even quality ones) seem to have a somewhat dead sound to the open G. Sort of like the string is years old but in fact is new. Typically best noticed by doing an open arpeggio slowly from bottom E to top E.

So, is it just me (us) or is there some inherent reason why the G string doesn't seem to ring as clear as the other 5 strings on a guitar?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 PM

Purely my opinion, and I have no scientific evidence, but the "G" string is the smallest guage string withe longest distance from machine head to bridge. Whether on a strat or an LP or an acoustic.

It is usually at least in my case the hardest to intonate properly. I have a PRS electric hollowbody and it came with a "wound" G string. It has sweet intonation. Acoustics come with wound Gs, electrics do not, except my PRS.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dead, g string