The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2001, 10:43 PM

Post New Guitar

I just bought a Larrivee DV05E, compared it to a taylor 314CE, 410CE and the Larrivee blew them away. I went it going to buy the 410CE, but the Larrivee had more of a full bottom tone nad chimey highs. It listed for 2029, guitar center had it for 1519.00 + 100.00 for case, and I talked the salesman down to 1238.00 with case. This is a step up from my Martin D-15. I just could not get the taylors I played to sound like the larrivee, except a 614CE which cost 1000.00 more.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT:
<STRONG>I just bought a Larrivee DV05E</STRONG>
Buying a new guitar that speaks your name is the best feeling, isn't it John!! So cool you found it.

Brad
Old 09-04-2001, 10:03 AM

Cool

Thats the great thing about quality guitars, when it speaks to you its the right choice, no matter if its Taylor, Gibson, Martin Laravee, Collings or whatever. Whatever sounds good in your hands is the right choice. Stick around though. that 600 may be in you future yet. Congrats on your purchace!!JW
Old 09-04-2001, 11:08 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hey, John! Congratulations on your new guitar. Larrivee does make some fine guitars at a great price, too. Their upper-end models are often graced with some simply gorgeous inlay work... for about the same price as some regular-line Taylors.

J.R.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:44 AM

Hey John,

Congratulations on your new Larivee. They are great guitars. Some of the most interesting figured Sitka tops I've ever seen. I think they sound as close to Taylors (and vice versa) as anything around.

I've said the same thing as JW & JR -- at the higher end, they, like almost anything else (cars, etc.) are all fine (and a fine line). It's just a matter of personal preference, i.e., what "speaks" to you.

Enjoy!

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 09-04-2001, 11:50 PM

Smile

John,

Congrats! So true what the folks are saying about it speaking to you. I headed out a few months back ...dead set on a Taylor...couldn't decide between a 5xx/6xx and waffled between the 12 and 14. Sitting in a shop in Sterling Va, with 7 Taylors in stands around me .... the salesguy handed me the one the I fell in love with.... a Breedlove. Who knew! Beautiful walnut b/s and a sustain that followed me home. I bought it and love it. .... of course then 2 months later I was playing around on Ebay and found myself with a '98 612CE in fire-engine red....and guess what... I LOVE IT TOO!! Very different axes..but I luv em both. I never thought I needed more than one guitar...but I was wrong....

(last week I just missed picking up a 2001 514CE for $1400....)

..I think I gots me a problem....hehe

Bob
Old 09-05-2001, 10:22 AM
Jim

I really like the tone of Larrivee 05s, and their looks are exceptionally classy, especially that flamed maple binding,abalone rosette, bound fretboard and inlaid sterling silver headstock border. To my eye, the 05s are the tonal equal of their Taylor counterparts, the 5xxs, but since Taylor downgraded the 5xx appointments this year, I think that 05s are now much sharper looking.

I have Custom Shop guitars from both Taylor (based on the 914C) and Larrivee (based on the C-10E) which I love equally, though they have different slightly different tonal qualities.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion