The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 04:39 AM

Default Monels on my OM-28

I had used these on an all mahogany 000-15sm and they sounded great. I was curious how they would sound on my OM-28.

First, they really held up well and still have some nice zing. Sound very nice when amplified.

But…I cannot get past what I hear which is a pretty hard bias toward being metallic. They have not mellowed that much despite hours of playing and a couple gigs.

Going back to PB’s on next string change.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I had used these on an all mahogany 000-15sm and they sounded great. I was curious how they would sound on my OM-28.

First, they really held up well and still have some nice zing. Sound very nice when amplified.

But…I cannot get past what I hear which is a pretty hard bias toward being metallic. They have not mellowed that much despite hours of playing and a couple gigs.

I have only used Monels on mahogany backed or all hog guitars with good luck. The first set I ran on my 000-18 lasted nearly 6 months and still sounded good when I changed them.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:57 AM

I like Martin Retros on my 000. I have PBs on it now and they are considerably brighter, which isn't necessarily my preference on a guitar that has no trouble singing in the upper register. I'm going to try another set of Retros next and see what I think.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-18-2024, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Monels on my OM-28

I tried the Martin Monels and really didn’t like them. I agree that they sound a bit metallic and to me dull.

I recently tried a set of Mangan round core Monels (13s) and like them much better. They bring warmth without the metallic taste and feel evenly balanced.

This is not on a mahogany OM, rather a Macassar 00, which tends to be bright with crazy sustain, so need a string to balance it a bit.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

You might try the D’Addario XS strings on your OM-28. I have them on my 000-18 right now and I really like them.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post

Question asked and answered. I love the empirical method.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Monels last waaay too long!
I find them somewhat plain sounding-
Maybe even metallic.
but why I like them is they help me diagnose what i’m looking for in a particular guitar. Do I want it warmer? Do I want it brighter?
And with that answer usually settles whether I put 80/20 or PB next.

Trouble is that the monels last too long. I’m usually pulling them off in favor of a different sound before they are worn enough to be changed.

I really liked them on a Gibson SJ, and an all hog guitar. I haven’t kept them on any rosewoods for longer than about a week.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:36 AM

Last string change on my HD-28 I was out of my usual Curt Mangan round core phosphor bronze, so I put a set of Curt Mangan round core monel strings on. I really like how they sound. They’ve been on since last July and still sound good!

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-18-2024, 09:17 AM

Never really liked them on any of my rosewood guitars. Have had them on hog b/s guitars and liked them. Don't have any on hand right now.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

I have the same experience with Monels sounding good on my all-mahogany and spruce/mahogany guitars, but don't like them on rosewood.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:04 PM

I just put some Martin Monel strings on a mandolin and dislike them. The tone is okay, but the feel of the strings is rough, almost as if they were corroded.

They’re not corroded, though, they were in an airtight sealed package. They’re just a grabby kind of metal, at least in this instance.

I should mention that I’ve used Martin Monels before and never had this roughness problem - this is a first.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-18-2024, 12:10 PM

I've always thought, at least to my ear, monels/retros/nickel bronze almost always sound great on mahogany guitars but not great on all rosewood guitars.
However, I do like them on certain rosewood dreadnoughts. Not sure if its because a dread usually has enough bass to compensate for the loss you get when using monels.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

I’ve found they can sound good on any tonewood backed guitar including rosewood, but they can maybe be a bit boring. I had a phase where I loved them but now I realize that they’re just strings. I like PBs, 80/20s, etc. Just as much.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Go for it! People talk about how great these work with mahogany instruments, and it is true. But I tried them on my Larrivee SD40R, and they sound great there also. Don’t take my word for it - the only 2 signature sets of Martin retro Monel strings are the Tony Rice and Laurence Juber sets - both played primarily on Brazilian and Guatemalan rosewood instruments.
Martin Backpacker

Last edited by boneuphtoner; 04-18-2024 at 08:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion