The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which brand do you like the most?
Eastman 137 36.44%
Larrivee 239 63.56%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM

From what I've seen, Eastman has really made a splash, and I've seen some gorgeous instruments from them. Never played one, though; never will. I can't buy anything Chinese-made when I have a choice. And there are, of course, lots of great non-Chinese choices out there. But that's just me. If your criteria are different, that's entirely your right.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPhan View Post
From what I've seen, Eastman has really made a splash, and I've seen some gorgeous instruments from them. Never played one, though; never will. I can't buy anything Chinese-made when I have a choice. And there are, of course, lots of great non-Chinese choices out there. But that's just me. If your criteria are different, that's entirely your right.
I shouldn't bite, but I will. So, you don't own any household goods - computer, telephone, cell phone, coffee maker, television, DVD player, alarm clock, blender, toaster - made in China? Is it an economic thing, political, racial? If economic, are Japan and Germany also on the list? If political, nothing from Russia, Vietnam, ..... ?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I liked the 2 Larrivees I owned.

When I was interested in Eastman a query by email and phone did not answer questions Larrivee answered about their treatment of employees and environment. Pretty simple answer for me - an importer of stuff from China who can't answer simple questions or a family owned business who answered how they handle people and toxic materials in their US and Canadian locations. Next came a great Larrivee dread and OM.
If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

We own our own factories, and have had some loyal employees that have been working for us for many many years. We follow health and safety to the letter in all ways.

I have been to our factories in China myself, met the luthiers, and our shop heads. Everyone loves to make our guitars, because we are a fun family run company. We are not an importer. We manufacture and design all of our own instruments. Our website shows a lot of great pictures of the hand work and detail of how each instrument is made.

http://eastmanmusiccompany.com/about_page.php#history

This link should give you a little insight on how our company came to be, and the dedication of all the people that work here.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM

Default larrivee

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbazil View Post
I'm going to have to Google "too woody" and get back with you.
That made my evening......Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 PM

I have owned three Larrivees in desperate attempts to like the brand. I couldn't. A more lifeless and dull sounding guitar I have yet to play. All three instruments (L-01, L-03R, and P-03R) were quite unremarkable that I thought it was a feat how consistently boring these guitars sound. That was about the same time I went to the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA regularly (about 6 years ago). I then went to live in Southern Cal where I bumped into an Eastman at McCabe's that blew me away.

Now I am back to living in Boston (sniff), the Music Emporium has dropped Larrivee and picked up Eastman, and I am now the (very recently) happy owner of an Eastman. People liking Larrivee continues to be a mystery to me, though my own empirical estimate is that they are less-liked now than they were before, which I think is good!

Last edited by medio; 03-06-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I also tried to like Larrivee guitars, and find them...nice. Very even, but so even as to be boring. The workmanship is alwys good, but no matter the model, even a dred with Brazillian, I have always been left feeling flat and wanting more. Sound is so subjective, and I'm sure the brand is popular for a reason, but I want a more exciting tone when I play. Of course, to each his/her own, and if you love your Larrivee, that's cool. Wildwood Music in Ohio is getting a bunch of custom Larrivees in, including one with Ziricote. Me, I'd love to try an Eastman E20D. Unfortunatley, no dealers near me! Heading to NJ tomorrow. Wonder if there'll be a dealer near where I'll be.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM

I've tried a handful of Larrivees and have tried a handful of Eastmans.

I like both brands, though I favor Larrivees. Their balance and nuance are what I really enjoy. And their necks... Best I've ever played.

Eastmans are no slouches. I'd love an E10D but their glossy necks make it impossible for me to enjoy playing. I like the boom and rumbling bass the guitar has, but I just can't get along with the feel of the neck.

I've had people tell me, "Just sand down the neck." But, I don't like the idea of spending $1,000-plus on a guitar and having to modify it like that.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 03-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
I've tried a handful of Larrivees and have tried a handful of Eastmans.

I like both brands, though I favor Larrivees. Their balance and nuance are what I really enjoy. And their necks... Best I've ever played.

Eastmans are no slouches. I'd love an E10D but their glossy necks make it impossible for me to enjoy playing. I like the boom and rumbling bass the guitar has, but I just can't get along with the feel of the neck.

I've had people tell me, "Just sand down the neck." But, I don't like the idea of spending $1,000-plus on a guitar and having to modify it like that.
We will be offering satin finishes on all of our Flat Tops on all new production guitars. It will take some time to go through the stock of guitars we already have made, but they will be available in the future! Stay Tuned! This is a gradual process, and its a transition due to resounding requests from end users.

Note (I no longer work for Eastman Music Company, If you have Eastman questions, Get in touch with them directly, i will no longer respond to emails not pertaining to Yamaha)

Last edited by PFCG; 03-09-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.

I didn't know all this. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFCG View Post
If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

We own our own factories, and have had some loyal employees that have been working for us for many many years. We follow health and safety to the letter in all ways.

I have been to our factories in China myself, met the luthiers, and our shop heads. Everyone loves to make our guitars, because we are a fun family run company. We are not an importer. We manufacture and design all of our own instruments. Our website shows a lot of great pictures of the hand work and detail of how each instrument is made.

http://eastmanmusiccompany.com/about_page.php#history

This link should give you a little insight on how our company came to be, and the dedication of all the people that work here.
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)
Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 PM

We are kind of like the best kept secret in the guitar world! Thats why we are on the forum now, to inform our customers a bit better!

Note (I no longer work for Eastman Music Company, If you have Eastman questions, Get in touch with them directly, i will no longer respond to emails not pertaining to Yamaha)
Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFCG View Post
We will be offering satin finishes on all of our Flat Tops on all new production guitars. It will take some time to go through the stock of guitars we already have made, but they will be available in the future! Stay Tuned! This is a gradual process, and its a transition due to resounding requests from end users.
Haha excellent! It gives me time to save up

Thanks!
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 03-24-2012, 03:55 PM

I sold my Taylor 810 a couple years back and I've been missing having an acoustic around. I walked into a local guitar shop who sold Larrivee, Eastman, Breedlove, etc. I had playedseveral of the guitars and the owner handed me an Eastman. I said I've never heard of them and his comment was you can't touch them for the price. Now bear in mind I had been playing instruments in the 2500-3000 dollor range that did absolutey nothing for me. The first chord I hit on the Eastman I was stunned, just plain and simple. Its what I wished my Taylor had sounded like. Well funds are tight so I told him I would think about it and came home. Well think about it is all I've done. I can't get that giutar outa my mind. I'm calling him Monday morning and buying the guitar. I tryed this afternoon and he had left. This was a Eastman E10D for those of you wandering. Big Tone!!! Amazing guitar!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:25 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by medio View Post
I have owned three Larrivees in desperate attempts to like the brand. I couldn't. A more lifeless and dull sounding guitar I have yet to play. All three instruments (L-01, L-03R, and P-03R) were quite unremarkable that I thought it was a feat how consistently boring these guitars sound. That was about the same time I went to the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA regularly (about 6 years ago). I then went to live in Southern Cal where I bumped into an Eastman at McCabe's that blew me away.

Now I am back to living in Boston (sniff), the Music Emporium has dropped Larrivee and picked up Eastman, and I am now the (very recently) happy owner of an Eastman. People liking Larrivee continues to be a mystery to me, though my own empirical estimate is that they are less-liked now than they were before, which I think is good!
Are you some kind of troll or just tactfully challenged? BTW I like Larrys
Old 03-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I recently purchased a used Eastman E6OM and love it so much that I followed up with an order from Ted for an E8OM. I try to avoid comparisons between this and a more expensive American-made guitar. They're great guitars, and I was fortunate to play a whole bunch at least year's Nazfest. Those with with the resources and ear to appreciate them and their heritage should continue to purchase them. I also try to avoid the political arguments against purchasing a Chinese guitar. Pat from Eastman is here with his ear to AGF listening for suggestions to improve an already promising line of acoustic guitars; and in LA Guitar Sales, we've got an outstanding source from which to purchase. Others may not agree for whatever reason, but I'm convinced that you can't beat an Eastman, especially for the money...

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 PM

The Larrivee tone is neutral, it simply obeys commands. Thats why I bought one. And they come in with solid mahogany at 1K....very impressive.

That having been said, i tried an Eastman the other day. Nice tonality, I want one.

So, all in all, the Eastman I would have to say delivers more harmonics and richness and has more personality.

So even though I love Larrivee, Eastman, to me, is a more intersting guitar to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion