The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which brand do you like the most?
Eastman 137 36.44%
Larrivee 239 63.56%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Hi Edman,

This was true up to the introduction of the Eastman Traditional line, and they have greatly improved finish durability without sacrificing tone on all models this year (or so says the manager of the Eastman warehouse in Pomona, CA). Eastman has been listening to their customers and improving every year... at this point, there is not much to take exception with.

BD
My experience with my early 2011 Eastman bears this out. I've been playing it daily for five months and have had no issues with the finish being fragile at all. My year old Recording King with heavy poly finish started getting scratched up right off the bat. So far not even a scratch on the Eastman.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strings4him View Post
The percentage seems to have stayed the same:

67% prefer Larrivee

33% prefer Eastman. Pretty conclusive to me
In an apples to apples comparison, you would be right on... the current facts are a little more discomforting, but there is good news on the horizon:
  • Jean Larrivee made guitars starting in 1968, and growing to a reasonbly sized production shop by 1975. This means Larrivee has been selling more and more guitars every month for 42 years, and especially in the last 35 years... they have a very large, established following.
  • Larrivee has a well deserved reputation as a high quality volume builder, in the same league with Martin, Taylor, Gibson and Guild.
  • Just a guess, but Larrivee has sold as many as 1,000,000 guitars in North America in the last 30 years (does anyone know the real number?)
  • Eastman has been making flattop guitars for what, maybe 5 years (though with a long history of violins, cellos, and more recently arch top guitars)
  • Eastman has sold what, maybe 10,000 guitars in the US (am I being too generous?), but that number is rising exponentially as their name and quality become known and their distribution becomes better established
  • Eastman has the huge disadvantage of being made in China and sold in the US at a time of rising US nationalism and protectionism... there is a large % of North Americans who are automatically against any product made in China

With those advantages for Larrivee, and to have 35% of AGF respondents actually prefer Eastman, I would have to say your conclusion is on rapidly waning ground.

Here is the GOOD NEWS for North American builders... labor rates have been rising in China at the rate of around 15% per year. Some US businesses that went offshore have now found they lost their low cost advantage in China and they are returning to the US and Canada. Soon, Eastman prices will have to start rising significantly and then it will be a more level playing field. You better buy your Eastman now while they are ridiculously cheap.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Eastman guitars are far superior to Larrivee, I have played Larrivee OMo3r, OMo3, Lo3r, Lo3 and D-03r, etc. I was blown away by the sound that The eastman E8om, and Ac312's had. They are the best guitar that a person can get for under 1000.00 Dollars often cheaper than that. I compared an E80m to a Santa Cruz OMPW and They look almost identical and they sound very very close. Craftsmanship is obviously better in the Santa Cruz, because I have been to their factory and had a tour, and I know what they put into their guitars. They are true Masters. However, Eastman Gives them a run for their money.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
I've only tried one Larrivee and didn't care for it but that was only one model and one guitar. Recently spent some time playing a few Eastmans. The E10 OM, their dread and parlor. Price aside, they were all great guitars. Played a number of high end guitars that day, mostly OM's and I can say the Eastman E10 can hold it's own with most. At one point while I was playing it the stores owner came over to listen. When I stopped playing we both looked at each other and he said I just don't know how they do it at the price they charge. And if your wondering, yes I bought it.
Typical sales pitch, what would you expect him to say? He's in business to sell guitars.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallon426 View Post
Eastman guitars are far superior to Larrivee, I have played Larrivee OMo3r, OMo3, Lo3r, Lo3 and D-03r, etc. I was blown away by the sound that The eastman E8om, and Ac312's had. They are the best guitar that a person can get for under 1000.00 Dollars often cheaper than that. I compared an E80m to a Santa Cruz OMPW and They look almost identical and they sound very very close. Craftsmanship is obviously better in the Santa Cruz, because I have been to their factory and had a tour, and I know what they put into their guitars. They are true Masters. However, Eastman Gives them a run for their money.
Unfortunately, there is no Eastman dealers out there!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:54 AM

I can post an answer now that I have played and own both. I love both of them but if I had to get rid of one, I'd keep the Eastman. Build quality aside, the Eastman just sounds better. It has a deeper, richer tone and sustains better. I love it. The fact that it cost half as much as the Larrivee is a bonus.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
Oh and back to Larrivee.. white binding on mahogany guitars.. are you serious ?
They stopped that over a decade ago, bindings have been maple (or rosewood) since 2001.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 AM

I think this survey is really influenced by the number of Eastman guitars available compared to Larrivee guitars. I've owned both and I wouldn't say one is better than the other... They are both makers of great guitars. I'd pretty much have to flip a coin to answer the survey... and did
Old 01-13-2012, 07:06 AM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.

I owned a Larrivee OM05 in the late 90s and it was kind of lifeless. My Eastman 312 sounds much more resonant. That said, I really think I had outlyer OM-05 when compared to other Larrivees (not tipical).

If I would have had more bones to shop with, I would have tried the Larrivee L03, or OM03 (Hog B/S) $800 over the Eastman which was only $400 bones.

At the $800 to $1000 price point, Larrivee (LO3) or Martin (OM01) would be my choice. Also, these domestic brands hold their value better - I know that's not always a concern - but it would be for me for a $800 to $1000 investment.

JMHO

Al
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)
Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Seems more people like Eastman from the replies, but the poll tells different story!(?)
Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM

Not to sidetrack this into the obvious tangent, but I'd never buy anything made in China if I could find something comparable made in North America -- and we all know that we can. Not that it would make a can of beans' difference in the grand scheme; just can't support that government. Nice to hear though that the labor playing-field is leveling out. Just had to chime in; again, I don't mean to divert the topic.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Default Eastman v Larrivee

I own a 1994 Larrivee 000-19 and an Eastman AJ-815 and love them both. However, I play the Larrivee a lot more and the Eastman tends to do well as an alternate tuning instrument. Build quality is really impeccable with both. For the price I'm not sure what is comparable to an Eastman. Great value. I can't speak to newer Larrivees, however.
LEFTY Martin D-18V
LEFTY Eastman 186 TMX
LEFTY Eastman 10D
MIM Fender Telecaster
Old 01-13-2012, 04:23 PM

Gotta say I love my 2 Larrivees (6 string DV09 Rosewood/Sitka & 12 string L05-12 Mahogany/Sitka). Gave the kids the Gibby and a Martin then sold the Taylor.

Gotta say the factory set up left something to be desired but then again I've had every guitar I've owned set up for me, most do benefit from a good go over. These are all I need and do anything I ask of them very well, great professional instruments with great balanced tone.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 01-13-2012, 07:11 PM

AZLiberty... just goes to show how in touch I am with Larrivee.

There is no local dealer.. They gave them up when the sent much of the operation to Calif.

I thought the Larrivee quality was ok.. it was their 90 degree X bracing and their weenie neck heels and white binding that was always a turnoff.. and of course the gender impaired jesters and genies flying around the fingerboard and headstocks.. sale proof inlays.

If I see any in my travels I'll be sure to play them.

I belive the Eastman guitar quality is quite good, but case by case.

I cannot say that of a Whyte Laydie banjo copy I just bought and returned. A special issue developed with John Bernunzio Rochester New York. Cheap poor materials ,odd inlays, not set up , needed the nut lowered different bridge and the neck refitted. Cheezy. And for $1350 no value. Burned and returned. It is obvious Eastman has no clue about banjos and Bernunziois did not set it up as promised. My wife said the banjo looked "Chinese" I have other quality banjos of approximately the same price ,American made and no comparison. Thje Eastman sent to me was a substandard product.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
AZLiberty... just goes to show how in touch I am with Larrivee.

My wife said the banjo looked "Chinese" I have other quality banjos of approximately the same price ,American made and no comparison. Thje Eastman sent to me was a substandard product.
"the banjo looked "Chinese"" ........... you mean the banjo is yellow color, and it is supposed to be white finish??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion