The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which brand do you like the most?
Eastman 137 36.44%
Larrivee 239 63.56%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strings4him View Post
The percentage seems to have stayed the same:

67% prefer Larrivee

33% prefer Eastman

Pretty conclusive to me

i think you would need more information, such as: how many of the voters have actually played a number of each guitar? people may be voting based on assumptions and heresy and not first hand knowledge.
also, eastmans are priced under larrivees, but the question "which brand do you like the most" doesn't take price into account. some people may or may not take this into consideration.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Ive experience both ( use to own a Larry OMv60 ) it was a very good guitar -but after a few years I just didnt dig the tone any more . But thats one model , I think the hog Dreads are my personal favorite --The Eastmans Ive played were new - and I think for the money their good guitars as well - but I dont know about their longevity , or should i say durability . Thou they seem good with a decent tone . For my money I prefer the Larrivee .
Old 11-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
I love Larrivee, especially the L body, but they are all heavy in my hands (I have owned several Larrivee's and played about 100 of them). The Eastman's in general are light as a feather (and now have a slope D).
Maybe it's just me, but I really like the heft of my Larrivee although I've never seen nor played an Eastman to compare. I also liked the heft of my old Guild D-55. Whether right or wrong, my 61 year-old mind equates heft with quality. I think it's tough to compare or equate the two makes because, like it or not, there's a conscious or unconscious nationalistic element when comparing a US/Canadian guitar made by a guy whose name is on the headstock and whose picture you can point to as opposed to a Chinese guitar that comes from a more anonymous source in a country where quality guitars have yet to establish themselves...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-24-2011, 10:04 AM

I've owned both and the Eastman seemed to be built lighter which for me gave me a more responsive, focused tone much like the Stanfords......the question is will the Eastmans stand the test of time or will they eventually implode because of the lightness of the build, only time will tell. I tend to think they will hold up.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:25 AM

I've owned a Larrivee 000-60, and have played more than a dozen other models of Larrivee.

I've never owned an Eastman and have only played four or 5 and all but one was a dread.

I voted Eastman purely on tone.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=paulzoom; Don't own a Larrivee but the one's I tried sounded too "woody" to me.[/QUOTE]

A carbon guitar is in your future!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-24-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
I think it's tough to compare or equate the two makes because, like it or not, there's a conscious or unconscious nationalistic element when comparing a US/Canadian guitar made by a guy whose name is on the headstock and whose picture you can point to as opposed to a Chinese guitar that comes from a more anonymous source in a country where quality guitars have yet to establish themselves...
I beg to differ, that nationalistic choice of reasoning is just that, a choice you make. I dont pick up a Larivee or a Martin and say, yeaaaa theres that North American tone! Tone doesnt have borders. I either like the way it sounds/plays or I dont.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Oh c'mon!

A chinese made guitar vs an underrated Canadian/American builder with a solid reputation.
No comparison IMO-larrivee
Old 11-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Ok, if you must base a decision purely on Nationalistic merits try to remember that China has been making stringed instruments for thousands of years before North America was even discovered. So from that perspective theres a credible arguement that its the other way around. But there isnt a cut and dry formula for good craftsmanship, and the notion that only a certain race of people can produce quality instruments is absurd.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:08 PM

I've only tried one Larrivee and didn't care for it but that was only one model and one guitar. Recently spent some time playing a few Eastmans. The E10 OM, their dread and parlor. Price aside, they were all great guitars. Played a number of high end guitars that day, mostly OM's and I can say the Eastman E10 can hold it's own with most. At one point while I was playing it the stores owner came over to listen. When I stopped playing we both looked at each other and he said I just don't know how they do it at the price they charge. And if your wondering, yes I bought it.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I really like the heft of my Larrivee although I've never seen nor played an Eastman to compare. I also liked the heft of my old Guild D-55. Whether right or wrong, my 61 year-old mind equates heft with quality. ...
Good point JR, we all acquire pre-conceived notions through our experience... notions that may or may not be accurate. My first "real" learning guitar was a flamenco-blanca, light as a feather, bright and growly with powerful projection the way a flamenco is supposed to be. I now love the feel of light weight in guitars (and also the smell of cypress... mmmm).

I have played a LOT of both Larrivees and Eastmans, focused entirely on small body models (I don't care for dread or jumbo sizes). I also played them alongside lots of Martins and Taylors for quality benchmarks. Both Eastman and Larrivee are very nice guitars, and both tonally compare on an equal footing with the Big Boys on an spec-per-spec basis.

If anyone really cares to know the differences, invest in a 3-4 day vacation in a large metro area with a sufficient number of retailers carrying all of these models. Play 8 hours a day, side by side instruments, comparing spec per spec. Move between the stores, sit in different areas, etc. This is the type of experience that will really educate you as to the feel and sound you prefer.

For me, budget was not an issue on that particular hunt... Martin, Taylor, Eastman, Larrivee, let the best instrument win. I started out wanting a Martin 00-28VS... I ended with a magical little Eastman E10P and an intense comparative education.... that little wonder really puts a smile on my face. (PS: I continue to lust after the Larrivee SD-50 with 12 frets, slotted headstock, 1-7/8" and 2-5/16" string spacing... my entry to trying a larger body guitar, this will be my next guitar unless someone comes up with an equal)

Last edited by billder99; 11-25-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
I beg to differ, that nationalistic choice of reasoning is just that, a choice you make. I dont pick up a Larivee or a Martin and say, yeaaaa theres that North American tone! Tone doesnt have borders. I either like the way it sounds/plays or I dont.
I hear what you're saying. However, judging by the number of threads/comments on the notion of guitar birthplace (and I really don't mean to start another), I think it's hard for many folks to remove that from the equation when comparing an Eastman and a Larrivee.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 AM

As a previous owner of both brands, I can recommend Larrivee over Eastman with no hesitation.

Larrivee guitars are superior in build quality. The fit and finish is outstanding for a mass produced guitar. The nitro finish on the Eastman guitars is terrible. It is far too easy to damage - it is the most fragile nitro finish I every experienced which makes me wonder what they are doing wrong during the finish process.

Tone is completely subjective. In my opinion Larrivee is superior in tone too. With that said, Eastman guitars do sound good and look great, but I prefer Larrivee.

I believe Eastman is one of the best Chinese made guitars on the market (if you ignore the poor nitro finish) but I believe they are a little over priced. I would consider owning another one in the future if I found a great deal on one.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
...The nitro finish on the Eastman guitars is terrible. It is far too easy to damage - it is the most fragile nitro finish I every experienced which makes me wonder what they are doing wrong during the finish process.
Hi Edman,

This was true up to the introduction of the Eastman Traditional line, and they have greatly improved finish durability without sacrificing tone on all models this year (or so says the manager of the Eastman warehouse in Pomona, CA). Eastman has been listening to their customers and improving every year... at this point, there is not much to take exception with.

BD
Old 11-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strings4him View Post
The percentage seems to have stayed the same:

67% prefer Larrivee

33% prefer Eastman

Pretty conclusive to me
__________________________________________________ ___________

Pretty conclusive to me too; considering two years ago it would have been 99.5% Larrivee and 0.5% Eastman.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion