The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Default Goodall/Martin/Collings Fan - Considering Taylor

Hello, Hello, just a quick question to one or two of you Taylor experts.

I have been a long time avoider of Taylor as the sound just never quite was as robust as some others I enjoy, Collings, Martin for example. I have found a few bright spots that I would be tempted to get over the years but something seems to always turn me away, even if I like the sound of a particular Taylor, and that is how close they put the high E string to the neck. I have been playing tapping/fingerstyle guitar for over 25 years and when I do tapping, for me anyway, the E is just a little too close to the edge to really attack it on some songs like I need to. I've always wanted to pick up a Taylor for durability as I get so tired of messing with the action on my other guitars with the changing seasons etc. Taylor seems to be able to stay set better so I don't have to worry about the warping and readjusting over the years especially down at the bottom of the guitar where the saddle sets.

Ok now after the long winded intro to my thoughts on Taylor, I recently tried out a few lower end, 100-200 series, Taylors and found something different. These were new 09 models and the high E was not as close - I could tap and play with as much attack as I needed and there was no problem. I then grabbed a couple higher end models and found the same thing. Is it possible that they have ever so slightly, probably about a mm difference, moved the E string away from the edge of the fretboard?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Bueller?..... Bueller....?
Old 09-21-2009, 02:26 PM

Depends on what you played in the past vs now. Taylor does have different size necks and placements. I have the problem with my GS that I have to be pretty careful with it. My 710 not so much. Depends on the neck etc, so it would depend on which Taylor that you are playing.

So the short answer is, "it depends".

-Dave
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26ce, 2006 Blueridge BR-361, 2011 GSMini, 1980 Ovation something or othe, Taylor 714cer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion