The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2022, 01:39 PM

Default Boutique guitar tuners misaligned?

I’ve been searching on the market for a high-end OM and noticed builders like Collings, Santa Cruz, etc… all have their waverly tuning machines slightly misaligned on the first and sixth string? Or is it the 5th and 2nd….idk it’s throwing me off. I don’t see that on my taylors.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

kind of hard to tell without a picture
Old 05-29-2022, 02:17 PM

Are you sure they're not just following the contours of the headstock?
Old 05-29-2022, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Chemist View Post
I’ve been searching on the market for a high-end OM and noticed builders like Collings, Santa Cruz, etc… all have their waverly tuning machines slightly misaligned on the first and sixth string? Or is it the 5th and 2nd….idk it’s throwing me off. I don’t see that on my taylors.
There's no way that all the Collings and Santa Cruz have their tuners misaligned... perhaps it's just that your eye isn't used to the headstock shape.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-29-2022, 02:24 PM

The spacing of the tuning machines relative to the edge of the peghead must be different to allow string clearance. Look at the front of the peghead and you'll see that if the 1st and 6th string tuners were set in the same distance from the edge of the peghead as the rest of the machines, the 2nd and 5th strings would make contact with the the posts of the 1st and 6th strings on their way up to their own respective tuning machines.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 05-29-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Chemist View Post
… all have their waverly tuning machines slightly misaligned ....
All of them? Well darn those boutique builders. Maybe if they built more guitars, like Taylor, they'd finally get it right.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:33 PM

I know exactly what you’re talking about. They’re in the correct spot (for reasons mentioned above), but they don’t form a perfectly straight line when you’re looking at the back of the headstock. It’s not my favorite thing, either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion