The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2022, 06:18 AM

Default Value/Opinions of Collings 001 12 Fret

Normally I wouldn’t ask but in today’s market I’m struggling to find the right value on used gear.

Also, I had made a thread a few weeks ago about selling off my Waterloo WL-S and Eastman E10-00 to find a Martin 00-18 12 fret or some kind of equivalent. Essentially going all in on one instrument… I’m really liking the Eastman (being completely different then the Waterloo), 00-12 fret, adi top, scalloped X bracing, short scale, 1 13/16 nut… all that… but I am also very appreciative of impeccable build quality… which the Waterloo has but Eastman doesn’t.

And now I see a excellent condition 2021 Collings 001 12 Fret (base model, no upgrades) pop up in Canada. I recognize it’s Sitka spruce and a Mod V neck but otherwise right on the nose of what I’m into, priced at $3900 usd, open to offers.

Is that a reasonable price?

What are your thoughts on this model? Does it measure up to say a custom Martin 00-18 12 fret? I would assume it’s in a higher class but I’ve never played a Collings before.

I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!

Last edited by A.Wilder1; 05-29-2022 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:42 AM

I have never owned a Collings 001 but I have owned two 0002h Collings at different times and I have also owned an Eastman E10 00. The Collings guitars are a higher build quality, no doubt, but are they worth three times the price? Based on my experience, I don't think so.

Part of the difficulty here is that we are generally working with an example of only one guitar and this is not very helpful. The Collings that you are looking at in Canada might be exceptional but it could also be very ordinary, if you decide to go ahead with it, make sure you get a good return policy.

Personally I would prefer your first choice, the Martin 0018, the Collings is a very different sound which some people prefer. Ideally you should try to play both models before spending that kind of money.

Last edited by Malcolm Kindnes; 05-29-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:27 AM

I’m a big fan of Collings, and I mostly play 0 and 00 size guitars. That price is in the ballpark of current prices. My experience with Collings 0 and 00 guitars is that they tend to be louder, brighter and have a more pronounced midrange than other maker’s similar models. I personally prefer Collings “originals” over their traditional models, but I’ve only played a few of the smaller Traditionals.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:53 AM

I don't own a Collings, but every one I've played has been consistently excellent.

I own two Eastman guitars and have played many others, including the Eastman mandolin family instruments. They have also been consistently very good tone, playability and build quality. They have been building stringed instruments in China for several decades now.

I know it doesn't answer your question - I think you'll get your money's worth going either way.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

I have a Collings 001 14Fret and a Collings Baby 2H. They are both sublime. The neck is unlike anything else I have played and to me produce great tone. I have only played a 00 12 Fret in store and the nut width albeit a bit wide for me, I was blown away by the tone.

The other aspect of their pricing has to do with the entire value chain of their company. Their customer service is beyond excellent - people actually answer phones (novel) and they are extremely helpful. They go the extra mile and that is rare these days. Perhaps we just happen to be in their sweet spot as a company when it comes to their ability to build and offer total service.

No doubt they cost a lot but if you are serious about long term ownership, it could be worth saving up. Every 00 18 Martin I have tried was also excellent. I have not tried a custom model or if I did, was unaware.

For 12 Fretters, I'm going to cause a fissure in the space time continuum with this opinion but Taylor 12 Fret guitars are also worth checking out. I understand all the critique and issues people have but the 522 (old model) 12 frets maybe one of the best guitars I have played. Easy as pie to chord, sounded wonderful, etc. Any pre 2017 Taylor 12 Fret would be on my list.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Price is in line and that model is a wonderful guitar. I am a huge Collings fan and have never regretted owning any of their builds.

Scratch the itch, I say.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Only today I was contacted by one of my YouTube subscribers asking me a very similar question.Of course being in the UK, I cannot speak of the prices in the US, but as someone who played, bought, sold and traded Martins from the '70s until the 2000s and loving my two Eastmans, 9E20-P and E40-00)., I'd say that Collings are the bar that no other make reaches.

They. Are. Perfect. (IMHO) I have four and would love a 00.

I have a sitka /hog DS1 which I adore, as much as my DS2h and 0002h.
The 001 would be great, although I'd prefer a 002h.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Only today I was contacted by one of my YouTube subscribers asking me a very similar question.Of course being in the UK, I cannot speak of the prices in the US, but as someone who played, bought, sold and traded Martins from the '70s until the 2000s and loving my two Eastmans, 9E20-P and E40-00)., I'd say that Collings are the bar that no other make reaches.

They. Are. Perfect. (IMHO) I have four and would love a 00.

I have a sitka /hog DS1 which I adore, as much as my DS2h and 0002h.
The 001 would be great, although I'd prefer a 002h.
I'm mighty close to Silly's opinion. "A bar that no other maker reaches?" I couldn't swear to that. But I also think they are just about perfect. I was a Martin player until I played my first Collings. They are, for me, sublime. I can't attest to the Traditional 00, since I love my two original OMs that have more in common with the 00 than the larger models. But I also love my Traditional D1A; and the Traditional models have seemed to thrill all their owners.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I sold a guitar close to that not long ago. I'd say it's a good price. But I do not advise someone in the U.S. buying from Canada now days. They changed the import tax rules a year or so ago and it would cost close to $400 to get that guitar across the border. It would be delivered and a month later you would get a nonnegotiable bill from the shipper.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-30-2022, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

There is a company in the UK that will take an order for a new 001 which here would cost the British equivalent of USD $6900.

The 00 12 fret is to my mind the most ergonomic and aesthetically beautiful Martin design EVER.

Sitka/Mahogany - perfectly balanced.

Style x18 trim, totally unpretentious but still beautiful.

1 & 13/16" nut (i.e. not 1 & 7/8" like on a Martin), 2 & 5/16" string spacing, 24 & 7/8" scale, and pyramid bridge (not heavy belly bridge like on Martins)

I'd say get it ASAP.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:43 AM

Thanks everyone for sharing, it’s given me a lot to think about.

I’m more inclined to just go for it, meaning going on all in on one instrument and liquidating the WL-S and E10-00. You only live once and it’s only money… as long as the value is right I could always sell it down the road.

This Collings is in Canada and so am I. I’ll make an offer on it and cross my fingers…

Wish me luck!
Old 05-30-2022, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Chances are very good you’ll be thrilled. Update us when it arrives

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion