The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2022, 04:03 PM
Guest 61722

Default Norman might have some competition

Poor guy, he's not even home yet, and already I'm cheating on him with some other cowboy (guitar).

But seriously, does this have my name on it or WHAT???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31392636961...sAAOSw~eViOzPu

Can anyone tell me anything about this guitar? Where was it made? What is the "non-Cowboy" equivalent in body size and Martin series?

I just started googling so I know already there's are several of them, limited editions with different designs, and most important a color-coordinated hard case included.

It seems like maybe they weren't popular, but I think they're pretty cool. Were these too kitsch to be taken seriously? Are they the commemorative plates or the Hummel figurines of the guitar world?

I am looking forward to any and all replies.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:16 PM

For that kind of money I would want a solid wood guitar.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Yeah that price is wild for an all HPL guitar. Looks like there are a few on Reverb all priced similarly, and all of them have been sitting around for months. It appears they went for about $699 originally, so it seems like people are hiking up the prices quite a bit because it was a "limited run". And while I think guitars with old cowboy scenes painted on them are cool looking, at the end of the day it's still an all HPL guitar...you can do way better for kind of coin.

For the record, they are 000 sized and I'm pretty sure they were made in Mexico.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:28 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
For that kind of money I would want a solid wood guitar.
Well, luckily for everyone out there, I've been doing some more googling. Apparently, Martin upped the ante (and the price!) quite a bit on the more recent editions of the Cowboy.

http://onemanz.com/guitar/media/phot...y-2015-photos/

https://acousticguitar.com/gear-revi...y-voice-video/

The artwork on the 2015 and 2016 is really beautiful, and it has a saddle inlaid on the headstock. I love that!

Ok, now I have something (else guitar related) to lust after! If I really want to keep busy, I can hunt for all 7 of them! The X, II, III, IV and V, plus the 2015 and 2016.

Here's are some videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2gDfExZNm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9LbiIekuSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Dgf9HzLBs

I don't think it's really the wood that's the draw on these. It's the design, the uniqueness, the spirit. They probably play as well as any of the entry level Martins, but they are made in the US, except for the V which is made in Mexico.

Does anyone on this forum have one of these? Can you illuminate us more?
Old 05-28-2022, 04:30 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Yeah that price is wild for an all HPL guitar. Looks like there are a few on Reverb all priced similarly, and all of them have been sitting around for months. It appears they went for about $699 originally, so it seems like people are hiking up the prices quite a bit because it was a "limited run". And while I think guitars with old cowboy scenes painted on them are cool looking, at the end of the day it's still an all HPL guitar...you can do way better for kind of coin.

For the record, they are 000 sized and I'm pretty sure they were made in Mexico.
I think the first video say X, II, III and IV were made in the US. V is Mexico. It looks like 2015 and 16 are made here, just based on the jump in price.

The first four Martin cowboy models were traditional “000-size” guitars made in the USA, while the Cowboy V model of 2006 was a smaller “0-size” (also known as a little Martin) made in Mexico.
That's from the description below the video.

May or may not be true. I haven't found a photo yet where I could see what the tag inside the body says.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

You’ve played the Norman, Janine. You’ve held it in your hands and heard it.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-28-2022, 04:33 PM

If I was going for a novelty design on a guitar I’d want the Louvin Brothers D28.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:36 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
You’ve played the Norman, Janine. You’ve held it in your hands and heard it.
No worries. I'm not abandoning Norman. It's less than 24 hours til he comes home. I would never do that. I can't wait!

But I had no idea these cowboy themed guitars were even a thing. And I do love country music. So just more guitar-related stuff to ponder.

I would always want to play a guitar first before deciding to buy it. Might look great but not sound or feel that good.

Last edited by Guest 61722; 05-28-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:40 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
If I was going for a novelty design on a guitar I’d want the Louvin Brothers D28.

I had to look that up; that is hysterical!

But they're not bad, really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_YT_4bxcWI

Classic country music. I learned a few new things today. I'm happy!

Apparently, it was Ira who designed that. Probably should have just stuck to the singing!
Old 05-28-2022, 07:27 PM

Whatever floats your boat!

Last edited by Wellington; 05-28-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:23 PM

That boat is sinking in my waters.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:19 AM
Guest 61722

Judging by the, let's call it "lack of enthusiasm" for the Cowboy guitar, it seems like I might be able to get one at a very good price. LOL.

No one could ever accuse you of taking yourself too seriously if you played one of those.

I do think the next one should be a COWGIRL edition, and definitely in the style of 2015 and 2016. The artist, William Matthews, is an unbelievably talented watercolorist. OMG, my worlds are colliding!

https://williammatthewsstudio.com/

Somehow I think the latter designs will be much harder to come by than the first five. It looks like the guitar is basically a 000-28. Also basing that on the price tag I saw. Based on the original price for the X through V designs, maybe they are based on the 15 series? Except, of course, not solid wood.

If anyone has seen any of these guitars in person, or played one, I'd love to hear more about it.

Yes, I know. I'm a fan club of one over here.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:34 AM

Default Start your collection now!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ma...SABEgIxFPD_BwE
Old 05-29-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I knew a woman years ago who used to play one of the early ones. She was a good player who performed at a lot of farmer’s markets and street fairs so she wanted a laminated guitar that wasn’t as affected by the elements. Served her purpose well and got people’s attention. I remember it sounding pretty good but she was a good solid guitar player.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-29-2022, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

I confess. I like the looks of the cowboy guitar. But then again, I can remember the Roy Rogers guitars of the fifties. I’m a sucker, too, for guitars like the old Gretsch Roundups.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion