The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2022, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

It's really a hard thing to quantify. For a while I made measurements of neck shapes to see if I could figure out what works best for me. I'm not too picky about thick vs thin, but I like to be able to hang my thumb over to fret the E string. But I don't have large hands, so some necks work better than others. It's weird, the modified V on my Martin feels just as good as the thin neck on my Taylor.

As others have mentioned, its best to just go try some guitars and see what fits your hand the best.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I like the modified low oval and other necks that are close to it. Some of my guitars could be called D shaped. On my last purchase (Pellerin) I just took a chance and got lucky. I really only avoid guitars that are advertised to have a V shaped neck. I tried a few way back when and didn't like the feel of them. So its really a trial and error thing I suppose.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion