The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-OM View Post
Well, I did not fare very well... I got # 4 right... thought the rosewood was discernible ...

my picks:
1. E-2
2, Larrivee
3. Lowden
4. E 8

I am biased toward rosewood guitars... perhaps that helped with picking #4.

Thks for doing this comparison.
Thanks for playing along Bob! I'd wager my E8 sounds in the ballpark of your 722, tonally. Prob why that one stuck out!
Old 05-28-2022, 01:24 PM

Really interesting comparison. I thought all the guitars sounded really good, but I'm most interested by the Larrivee. For the body size I thought it sounded amazing (sorry GoPappy [emoji4]). I have an E8OM-TC but thought it sounded the least impressive (relatively) of the bunch, to the extent that there's a second hand OM-03R near me that I'm now tempted by. Treenewt, does your OM-03 have the fullness of sound in real life that I'm hearing in the recording?
Old 05-28-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
Really interesting comparison. I thought all the guitars sounded really good, but I'm most interested by the Larrivee. For the body size I thought it sounded amazing (sorry GoPappy [emoji4]). I have an E8OM-TC but thought it sounded the least impressive (relatively) of the bunch, to the extent that there's a second hand OM-03R near me that I'm now tempted by. Treenewt, does your OM-03 have the fullness of sound in real life that I'm hearing in the recording?
Shadowy, glad you liked it. I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment. I would say the recording is a very good example of what I hear when I play the Larrivee. It is a REALLY great guitar that does so much well. I can’t say it’s what you’re hearing, because we all know we hear things differently. However, I’ve never met a larrivee mahogany and Sitka guitar that didn’t impress me. I have noticed in my limited experience that Larrivee rosewoods tend to be on the darker side, but it’s been several years since I’ve played one. I am partial to mahogany anyway, so take that for what you will. But an OM-03R close by would definitely be worth the drive to check out, in my book. They just make great instruments. Period. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2022, 05:47 PM

Default Song

Could you tell me what song your playing?
Old 05-28-2022, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

In my opinion, the Lowden sounded the best, but real standout in the line-up is the Eastman E2D-CD. Don’t they retail for under $600? It sounded great, particularly for your fingerstyle playing, which was really nice.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry H View Post
Could you tell me what song your playing?
Thanks for asking Barry. It’s an original piece I’ve been working on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
In my opinion, the Lowden sounded the best, but real standout in the line-up is the Eastman E2D-CD. Don’t they retail for under $600? It sounded great, particularly for your fingerstyle playing, which was really nice.
I felt the same playing them in person. The Lowden is a bit more refined and has a bit more bass, but I’m telling you, that E2D is a killler guitar. It normally lives in standard tuning and it is a monster with a flatpick. I have it in CGCGCD now and it impresses there as well. Just a amazing guitar at any price, but under $600? Ridiculous.

I’m so grateful to have it. I know I sound like I’m justifying, but I’m perfectly content with the guitars I have, even against that Lowden.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Shadowy, glad you liked it. I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment. I would say the recording is a very good example of what I hear when I play the Larrivee. It is a REALLY great guitar that does so much well. I can’t say it’s what you’re hearing, because we all know we hear things differently. However, I’ve never met a larrivee mahogany and Sitka guitar that didn’t impress me. I have noticed in my limited experience that Larrivee rosewoods tend to be on the darker side, but it’s been several years since I’ve played one. I am partial to mahogany anyway, so take that for what you will. But an OM-03R close by would definitely be worth the drive to check out, in my book. They just make great instruments. Period. Good luck!
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. There's also an OM-03 a little further away but in the same direction as the rosewood. Might be trickier to arrange to try it though as it's for sale on eBay with a private seller. I'm surprised by how few Larrivees UK dealers have in stock, not at all easy to try them.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. There's also an OM-03 a little further away but in the same direction as the rosewood. Might be trickier to arrange to try it though as it's for sale on eBay with a private seller. I'm surprised by how few Larrivees UK dealers have in stock, not at all easy to try them.
I can Understand. I’ve only ever seen a handful in brick and mortar stores, and those were used for the most part. I bought every one of mine aight unseen online, and liked them all fWIW. Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion