The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2022, 05:43 AM

Default Just Bought a Martin OM-28

Long story, but I'll keep it short. After decades of playing Fender Electrics with rather large pedalboards, I'm getting back to my love for Acoustic Guitar. I haven't owned a straight acoustic instrument since my very first guitar (Hondo). I have longed for the simplicity and purity of an Acoustic guitar and to just open a case, pick up a fine instrument and fingerpick, hum and relax while playing (like Andy Griffith on the front porch after supper)!

I went to a local Martin dealer yesterday and played several models (D-18, HD28 & Andy Griffith Signature). I thought that's what I wanted until I picked up a Martin Custom Shop in a OM size. I was ruined immediately and decided that the OM is for me. The used Custom Martin was more than double what my budget was but I knew where to find what I wanted because I had already been looking at one in another Forum where I've been a member for years. After much communication I bought it for a good price. I should have it by the end of next week.

Last edited by VintageToneGuy; 05-22-2022 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:45 AM

Ah sweet! Cheers on what is sure to be a winner!

Enjoy!
Old 05-22-2022, 12:30 PM

A classic. Can’t go wrong with a Martin OM–28.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:40 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Marvy. Me too.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-22-2022, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Hi VTG!

Good for you! I bet you'll love this new guitar! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 05-22-2022, 09:14 PM

Have fun with the new one! Any pics?
Old 05-23-2022, 05:46 AM

An OM-28 is the only guitar I wish I hadn’t sold. Enjoy!
Old 05-28-2022, 05:06 AM

Smile Update - It Arrived

Well, the guitar arrived without incident (Yah!). I opened the case to a beautiful guitar and gave a quick inspection all over and can't find any flaws or surprises.

I start to strum and immediately discover that the action is very high and, even though the tone of the guitar was very good, it wasn't much fun to play. I figured I'd need a setup anyway so I began to try to find someone to do a good job with it. I thought of a friend of mine who lives a few miles away who was Mickey Gilley's Fiddle player for years. Great guy! I contacted him and he put me in touch with "the only person he'd let touch his guitars" Aaron Morris.

I recognized the name as a local guitar builder and Luthier because I had recently been looking at David Holt's Website to see what gear he uses (Big Fan of David's music and PBS Programs)!!! Mr. Morris had custom built one of David's guitars.

I contacted him Wednesday afternoon and set up a time to drop it off at 8:30 the next morning. We met and he asked a few questions about playing style, etc... I went home and started mowing the yard and got a text from him 2 hours later saying "Your guitar is ready. It's a sweet, nice guitar!"

Needless to say, I hopped off the mower and went to get it. He said, "I took 1/16" off the bridge saddle, recut the neck string slots and did a slight adjustment on the trussrod".

I cannot believe the difference this made! He made this guitar very friendly and fun to play anywhere on the neck! The chords and notes just ring out. I asked how much did I owe him and he said "$50 ought to do it"

I gave him his fee plus a tip and thanked him for his work. I never knew how valuable a good setup is and would encourage anyone who is 'fighting with a guitar' to find someone like this and get it done.

He told me 3 times "You have a very nice guitar, the craftsmanship is excellent"

So this is my Welcome Back to Acoustic after more than 15 years of not having one!
Old 05-28-2022, 05:35 AM

Nice story. Sound like you got a keeper. Play it in good health!
Old 05-28-2022, 05:55 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Congrats on a great guitar and on getting the setup squared away. Mine is at my luthier/tech's shop right now getting a setup.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-28-2022, 10:46 AM

OMs are my Goldilocks, may yours bring you many years of acoustic joy.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-28-2022, 11:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageToneGuy View Post
Long story, but I'll keep it short. After decades of playing Fender Electrics with rather large pedalboards, I'm getting back to my love for Acoustic Guitar. I haven't owned a straight acoustic instrument since my very first guitar (Hondo). I have longed for the simplicity and purity of an Acoustic guitar and to just open a case, pick up a fine instrument and fingerpick, hum and relax while playing (like Andy Griffith on the front porch after supper)!

I went to a local Martin dealer yesterday and played several models (D-18, HD28 & Andy Griffith Signature). I thought that's what I wanted until I picked up a Martin Custom Shop in a OM size. I was ruined immediately and decided that the OM is for me. The used Custom Martin was more than double what my budget was but I knew where to find what I wanted because I had already been looking at one in another Forum where I've been a member for years. After much communication I bought it for a good price. I should have it by the end of next week.
It happens. I speak from experience. Congratulations!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 05-29-2022, 02:34 PM

Martin tends to send their guitars out with high action and nut slots that are way too high. A good setup makes them play like a dream.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 05-29-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageToneGuy View Post
"Your guitar is ready. It's a sweet, nice guitar!"

So this is my Welcome Back to Acoustic after more than 15 years of not having one!
After 15 years of drought -- Big Congrats! Sounds like your OM-28 will welcome you back in the fold.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:32 PM

Smile

Basically have your same story...after decades of playing and recording, bought my OM28 in 2020 and I can't believe I waited that long... I was so tired of playing guitars that "sound just like a martin". The only guitar that sounds 'just like a martin' is a martin.

I have now saved up to buy a Mahogany OM or 0000 to keep it company...and I have sold off my 'sounds just like a martin's'

and yes, a good set-up rocks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion